Compact Edition of the OED - questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 22nd 03, 04:31 AM
Rayner Lucas

Default Compact Edition of the OED - questions

delurk

I would like to own the Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary,
since I sadly have neither the budget nor the shelf space for the full
twenty-volume edition. I've already decided to get a good second-hand copy
of the second edition. However, I thought I'd ask the advice of some
experienced bibliophiles before I made my purchase.

One of the second-hand copies I've found is described as "Book Club
Associates Edition 1993". Does anyone own this edition or know how it
differs from the standard one? I've heard that book club editions are
sometimes of lower quality, and I'd be grateful to hear of others'
experiences.

Does anyone know of any book clubs that might still be offering a good deal
on the Compact Edition? I'd really kick myself if I missed a bargain.

Finally, should I be waiting for the third edition to appear? I haven't
been able to find an estimated date for its publication on the OED website,
which I assume means that it's not going to happen in the next few years.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Rayner

--
The e-mail address in the headers is a spam trap.
To reply by e-mail, please use: usenet (at) sariel.anarres.org