thinnest medium?

Old October 20th 03, 07:56 PM
PalmUser

Default thinnest medium?

What pen and penmaker typically has the thinnest medium nib? I've got an
Aurora Ipsilon that's a medium but is thinner than many fine nibs. . .I like
it that way, and I'm wondering what other pens have typically thinner
mediums?
PU

Old October 20th 03, 08:55 PM
Nancy Handy

PalmUser wrote:
I'm wondering what other pens have typically thinner mediums?

All oriental pens (Chinese, Japanese) typically have finer nibs.
Examples are Namiki and Hero. If you buy a medium, you get a fine. If
you buy a fine, you get the equivalent of an extra-fine.
Old October 20th 03, 10:58 PM
so what

Give them...VELVEETA BURRITOS!!

This replaces Ex-Lax?

ROFL

Old October 20th 03, 11:29 PM
David Heverly

"PalmUser" wrote in message ...
What pen and penmaker typically has the thinnest medium nib? I've got an
Aurora Ipsilon that's a medium but is thinner than many fine nibs. . .I like
it that way, and I'm wondering what other pens have typically thinner
mediums?
PU

Typically pens made in Asia appear to be on size thinner than western
nibs. A medium Asian nib is about the same size as a fine Western
nibs. A fine Asian nib would be the same as an extra-fine Western
nib. It was explained to me that because the characters found in
Asian languages are more intricate and complex than the Western
alphabet, the nibs have to be thinner.

Try looking at pens from Japanese companies such as Pilot, Sailor and
Platinum. I know that there are some Chinese fountain pen makers out
there that make pens with thin nibs, but they are often marketed under
a variety of names. Hero is one name I know. But then, I've seen
some Chinese pens with what were purported to be German nibs, so you
have to be careful.

I'm sure that there are a number of Western companies which make
thinner nibs, but Aurora is the only one I know of. I picked up a pen
by Inoxcrom, a Spanish company, which had a rather thin medium nib.
But I don't know if that's representative of their whole line.

Hope this helps.

David
Who prefers his nibs wide and wet, such as Parker.
Old October 21st 03, 12:03 AM
kcat

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:56:23 -0500, "PalmUser"
wrote:

What pen and penmaker typically has the thinnest medium nib? I've got an
Aurora Ipsilon that's a medium but is thinner than many fine nibs. . .I like
it that way, and I'm wondering what other pens have typically thinner
mediums?
PU

okay - here's a dumb question and I'm not being contentious but...

why not just get a fine or extra-fine nib rather than try to get a
medium that writes fine?

Maybe I'm just missing something. wouldn't be the first time.

in general, designation of line width can be misleading anyway since
ink quality, ink flow, and paper quality all play a large part in
determing line width. I have fine nibs that write quite wet on most
papers, but on a well-sized paper or something like Crane Air Mail
silk laid paper, they will write extra-fine. Free-flowing Levenger
Cocoa makes all my nibs look like mediums or broads - but toss in some
Copper Burst to slow it down and the line is narrower.

just something to consider.
Old October 22nd 03, 01:44 PM
Juan

(David Heverly) wrote in message . com...
"PalmUser" wrote in message ...
[...]

No, it isn't. Some inoxcrom models are thninner nibs, others are
broader. In any case, they usually keep more or less the same width as
most western makers. Inoxcrom makes some cheap pens (around 3$) in
which the nibs are not made by inoxcrom. Those pens have a "standard"
nib width.
I think that the different widths in dif makers has more to do with
who do you compare the pens you make with. For example, Pelikan and MB
have broader nibs than other makers. Maybe they took each other as a
reference.
Yes, kanji and other oriental languages are more intrincate than roman
alphabet, but they have been using brushes (really thick in some
cases) for thousands of years. Again, I think that those companies
might have kept the same line width as a result of copying one each
other. Just a guess

Juan

Old October 22nd 03, 08:09 PM
Avery A. Hise

kcat wrote in message

ink quality, ink flow, and paper quality all play a large part in
determing line width. I have fine nibs that write quite wet on most

The above snippet makes a good point. I've got a couple Platinum pens
(Presidential and Maki-e), which in general terms produce thinner
lines than that made by my Pelikans or Conklins of the same nib
categorization. I like a broad nib with an oblique and a fine nib with
a lot of flex, but have found that all nibs give you many different
lines based on the paper they've been employed for. Good hunting! I'd
love to hear what you decide on. :-)

Avery A. Hise
http://www.ramblingsnail.net/