Library Sales - I Give Up!

Old July 18th 04, 01:38 PM
Art Layton

Default Library Sales - I Give Up!

Went to a Library sale yesterday in Westport, CT. 60,000 books and
dozens of dealers. After spending an hour there and finding nothing
even remotely interesting, I have decided to give up on libarary
sales. It seems like I see the same books at every library sale. Maybe
I am just jaded, but I just have to find a brag to report to other
readers!

If I go any more, it will be the last day when books are free.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old July 18th 04, 03:17 PM
RWF

"Art Layton" wrote in
It seems like I see the same books at every library sale.

You've discovered the librarians' well guarded secret.
The same books are toted around from one library sale to another!

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old July 18th 04, 03:54 PM
Jonathan Sachs

There's goodies, and there's baddies. Both are fairly consistent from sale
to sale.

Unfortunately the goodies do not seem to be distributed geographically in a
fair and balanced manner. You may be living in an area that has few or none.

I've noticed an odd pattern since I moved to Chicago last year: the farther
I go into the suburbs, the worse the book sales get.

Old July 18th 04, 05:04 PM
Matt J. McCullar

How far afield have you gone? I rarely find a bad library book sale in Fort
Worth, Arlington, Dallas, etc. I have no idea how much stuff is there in
terms of numbers, but it takes a while to see it all.

Think of it this way: The bad book sales make you appreciate the good ones
more.

Old July 18th 04, 05:48 PM
Jonathan Sachs

"Matt J. McCullar" wrote in message

How far afield have you gone?

A 90-minute drive from my home near the lake to the town of Algonquin, where
I found nothing worth buying at all, either for myself or for sale. That one
was so bad that it actually had shelves labeled "Jean Auel," "Mary Higgins
Clark," etc.

And this may be unfair, but there was a 2 1/2 hour drive through darkness
and snow to McHenry, where I found a big sign saying "Book sale this
weekend!" in front of a library that was locked up tight, with lights off
and parking lot empty. I later learned that the sale was being held either
in the rear of the building or in another building behind it. That was
probably obvious to the locals, and I might have figured it out in daylight,
but the published directions gave no clue.

My best experience was at the public library in Evanston, Chicago's largest
suburb, about 15 minutes from my house. My second-best experience was the
Co-op book sale in Hyde Park, on the south side of the city near the
University of Chicago.

Old July 18th 04, 09:28 PM
Francis A. Miniter

I have a theory that sooner or later all that will be left
at library sales will be books written by Danielle Steele,
John Grisham, Mary Higgins Clark, and such writers. I
wanted to go to the Westport sale but exhaustion after a
long week won out. Maybe, in view of your comments, I did
too.

I am concentrating my efforts these days mostly on tag
sales, where I have had a few pleasant surprises.

Francis A. Miniter

Old July 18th 04, 10:22 PM
MindElec

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:48:16 GMT, "Jonathan Sachs"
declared:

My best experience was at the public library in Evanston, Chicago's largest
suburb, about 15 minutes from my house.

i keep missing that one, has it happened this year?

My second-best experience was the
Co-op book sale in Hyde Park, on the south side of the city near the
University of Chicago.

the co-op is ok, brandeis is slightly better only because of the
quantity of books. this year i'm trying the members preview at
newberry for the first time to see if it's worth it.

Robert

--

The sound of gunfire, off in the distance, I'm getting used to it now
Lived in a brownstone, lived in the ghetto, I've lived all over this town
Old July 18th 04, 10:47 PM
Art Layton

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message link.net...
"Matt J. McCullar" wrote in message

How far afield have you gone?

A 90-minute drive from my home near the lake to the town of Algonquin, where
I found nothing worth buying at all, either for myself or for sale. That one
was so bad that it actually had shelves labeled "Jean Auel," "Mary Higgins
Clark," etc.

snip I keep waiting for a Tom Clancy table.

Art Layton
Stamford CT