My latest PCGS adventure

Old May 20th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default My latest PCGS adventure

Last year about this time I submitted an 1864 three cent silver to PCGS for
grading as a circulation strike. It came back slabbed PR61. I am 100%
convinced it is a circulation strike made from dies which had previously
made proof coins.

I wanted it graded as a circulation strike, so I cracked it out (so as not
to lead the witness) and submitted it as a circulation strike once again. I
just learned that it has indeed been slabbed as a circulation strike -
GENUINE with altered surfaces. Sheesh. But at least this time I got the
main thing I wanted, so life's not all bad.

James the Slobbering Slabber

Old May 20th 10, 04:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

On May 19, 6:46*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Last year about this time I submitted an 1864 three cent silver to PCGS for
grading as a circulation strike. *It came back slabbed PR61. *I am 100%
convinced it is a circulation strike made from dies which had previously
made proof coins.

I wanted it graded as a circulation strike, so I cracked it out (so as not
to lead the witness) and submitted it as a circulation strike once again. *I
just learned that it has indeed been slabbed as a circulation strike -
GENUINE with altered surfaces. *Sheesh. *But at least this time I got the
main thing I wanted, so life's not all bad.

James the Slobbering Slabber

On your third try it will come back bodybagged.
Old May 20th 10, 11:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Relayer

On May 19, 6:46�pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Last year about this time I submitted an 1864 three cent silver to PCGS for
grading as a circulation strike. �It came back slabbed PR61. �I am 100%
convinced it is a circulation strike made from dies which had previously
made proof coins.

I wanted it graded as a circulation strike, so I cracked it out (so as not
to lead the witness) and submitted it as a circulation strike once again. �I
just learned that it has indeed been slabbed as a circulation strike -
GENUINE with altered surfaces. �Sheesh. �But at least this time I got the
main thing I wanted, so life's not all bad.

James the Slobbering Slabber

To be honest, I didn't think they made proof coins back then..duh
Old May 20th 10, 11:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Relayer wrote:
On May 19, 6:46?pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Last year about this time I submitted an 1864 three cent silver to
PCGS for grading as a circulation strike. ?It came back slabbed
PR61. ?I am 100% convinced it is a circulation strike made from dies
which had previously made proof coins.

I wanted it graded as a circulation strike, so I cracked it out (so
as not to lead the witness) and submitted it as a circulation strike
once again. ?I just learned that it has indeed been slabbed as a
circulation strike - GENUINE with altered surfaces. ?Sheesh. ?But at
least this time I got the main thing I wanted, so life's not all bad.

James the Slobbering Slabber

To be honest, I didn't think they made proof coins back then..duh

They did indeed make them. They just weren't packaged together in sets like
they have been for several decades in our time. Nor were they as distinctly
different from business strike coinage back then.

The last 11 dates of the three cent silver series were of much smaller
mintages than the earlier ones. The mint made some of them in proof to sell
at a profit, but the rest they kept in a vault, only to melt most of them in
1873. Proofs are easy to come by, circulation strikes much less so for
those years. The 1873s were made in proof only. Check the Redbook for more
information.

James

Old May 24th 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Chas Edwards

They did indeed make them. They just weren't packaged together in
sets like
they have been for several decades in our time. Nor were they as
distinctly
different from business strike coinage back then.
The last 11 dates of the three cent silver series were of much
smaller
mintages than the earlier ones. The mint made some of them in proof
to sell
at a profit, but the rest they kept in a vault, only to melt most of
them in
1873. Proofs are easy to come by, circulation strikes much less so
for
those years. The 1873s were made in proof only. Check the Redbook
for more
information.
James

Beginning in 1862 silver proof coins were sold only in sets. From 1936
to 1942 individual proof coins could be purchased as well as sets but
since 1950 it has been sets only. The uncirculated three cent pieces
in the 1860s were used to pay off odd amounts from the gold deposits.
The above is correct in that excess pieces were melted in 1873.

CE

My PCGS adventure Mr. Jaggers Coins 10 March 22nd 06 12:07 AM
My latest package from PCGS Bruce Hickmott Coins 17 October 2nd 04 05:16 AM
auction adventure Harold Fears Coins 2 September 13th 04 02:56 AM
Adventure Con Knoxville, TN. Mr. Freeze Autographs 3 May 5th 04 04:58 AM
Latest Adventure of Mutt and Jeff TheDimeMan Coins 0 December 15th 03 03:37 AM