Need repair/tune-up advice

Old June 11th 08, 12:45 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Bru-Ha

Default Need repair/tune-up advice

Hello all,

Back to the subject at hand, I am looking for advice on servicing my
Realistic TR-803 player/recorder. Are there any "experts" who would
like to toss a bone to this poor puppy who can't afford to send it in
to a shop? It doesn't need much, but the minimum it needs is the head
height adjusted.

Thanks in advance, Bruce
Old June 11th 08, 08:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:45:13 -0700 (PDT), Bru-Ha
wrote:

Hello all,

Back to the subject at hand, I am looking for advice on servicing my
Realistic TR-803 player/recorder. Are there any "experts" who would
like to toss a bone to this poor puppy who can't afford to send it in
to a shop? It doesn't need much, but the minimum it needs is the head
height adjusted. snip

Rule 1: Stay away from Charlie Nudo's (aka 66-catalina on eBay) phony
"alignment" tapes.

By this time, what's probably best would be: 1.) new drive belt, 2.)
reoiling of the Oilite capstan shaft bushings, 3.) thorough head
cleaning and PROPER demagnetization, and 4.) head alignment. You can
get the head height fairly close without a good alignment cart by
using a low mileage music cart, and can sort of approximate the
azimuth setting as well, but it's far better to get a GOOD alignment
cartridge (Nortronics is but one) to do the job right, or farm it out
to someone who has the right tape and the right experience.
Old June 11th 08, 12:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

On Jun 10, 7:45*pm, Bru-Ha wrote:
Hello all,

Back to the subject at hand, I am looking for advice on servicing my
Realistic TR-803 player/recorder. Are there any "experts" who would
like to toss a bone to this poor puppy who can't afford to send it in
to a shop? It doesn't need much, but the minimum it needs is the head
height adjusted.

Thanks in advance, Bruce

I've had 3 of those TR803's- they were the last recorder that Radio
Shack ever made. They have a plastic tape head mount/support, which
is prone to cracking. The head then becomes loose inside and will
even fall out with wires still attached. Be sure yours doesn't have
that problem.

Also avoid anything "DeserTBob" tells you, he gave advice here a while
back that destroyed someone else's tape deck- do a search on
"Ommadawn" and his tape deck. BEWARE DESERTBOB !
Old June 11th 08, 12:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

wrote:
[...]

why are you answering 8-track deck questions ? you threw away all
your tapes and quit tracking- get a life !

good answer: "take it to a shop" well duh !

all he has to do is align it with any music tape made by Columbia
Old June 11th 08, 02:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
kayak44[_2_]

On Jun 10, 7:45*pm, Bru-Ha wrote:
Hello all,

Back to the subject at hand, I am looking for advice on servicing my
Realistic TR-803 player/recorder. Are there any "experts" who would
like to toss a bone to this poor puppy who can't afford to send it in
to a shop? It doesn't need much, but the minimum it needs is the head
height adjusted.

Thanks in advance, Bruce

Now you see why it's much better to discuss cars and politics here,
much less arguments.

Also, check here where there is no arguing,

http://groups.google.com/group/8trackheaven
Old June 11th 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

Ricky- get a job
Old June 11th 08, 05:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:19:28 -0700 (PDT), trippin-2-8-track
wrote:

Ricky- get a job snip

Hey Noodles! What happened to that old guy that you "partnered" with
who had the failing electronics shop? He throw your ass out for
ruining his business? How come you had to get rid of
8trackaudio.com...IRS say, "looks like a business to us!" and you ran
and hid, like you used to run and hide from Papa Noodles when you
screwed up as a kid...which was all the time?

See more about Charlie Nudo's delusional fantasy world at:

http://nudowatch.blogspot.com
Old June 11th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
kayak44[_2_]

On Jun 11, 10:19*am, trippin-2-8-track wrote:
Ricky- get a job

Now, now, Charlie, let's not let jealousy get your blood pressure up,
that's not a good idea for someone who is "at risk" for heart disease.
Old June 13th 08, 11:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Bru-Ha

On Jun 11, 4:18*am, trippin-2-8-track wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:45*pm, Bru-Ha wrote:

[...]

I am a total newbie in this 8-track servicing area. I finally got the
guts to pull the chassis out of the case and look at the workings of
this machine. The plastic tape head mount/support doesn't looked
cracked to me, but what do I know? As far as Bobs suggestions, I'm
afraid I don't know what any of that means. any help you can give me
about what is what would be appreciated. If anyone would like to look
at the photos of the inside and maybe identify parts for me the web
album is here http://picasaweb.google.com/bruce12229/TR803

Thanks, Bruce