Errors question

Old July 1st 03, 03:15 AM
Jim

Default Errors question

(AnswerMan2) adds....

Your information about riddlers is incorrect.

I know, I was invoking brevity to keep the audience. I was also being kind when
I referred to these "sorters" as a life form approaching anything the modern
world considers to be an inspection system. They "sort" sizes, period. The
principles are almost 200 years old and the application isn't much newer.

Large numbers of minting varieties are produced. However the statement is

taken
out of context, because their number is a very tiny fraction of one percent of
the coins produced.

If you noticed, hidden among my pleas for "numbers" was the more accurate cry
for "percentages" of production.

Optical and weight checks have been suggested.

And either baseline "typical" system is beyond not only the scope of any
reasonable budget, but also beyond the learning curve of most of the current
employees and that's even "if" some of the obvious problems can be solved.

The reason - the computer worked fine but they were never able to devise a

feed system fast enough to be practical.

If you'd point me to a further source, I think I'd find not only was the
computer aspect fraught with bugs, both human and electronic, but the feed
system you say wasn't fast enough, was really a feed system that wasn't
accurate enough. There are feed systems out there that can pass 100's of
1,000's of units per minute from A to B. However, passing them in perfect
repetition so they frame under a camera in exactly the same spot, that's the
challenge. And when I say exact, I mean within 0.010".

Then because a coin has two sides, you have to present the underside to another
camera. Because cameras don't see too well "through" a conveyor belt, generally
this means physically turning the coin over and passing it again. So again,
manipulation of the coin becomes the rate limiting factor, not raw speed.

Same problem for weight checks.

Sorry Alan......I've seen checkweighers that will process again, 100's of
1,000's of units per minute. The rate limiting factor with weigh check is
available sensitivity. What does a half clad quarter weigh versus full clad?
What does a 10% clip weigh vs. an unclipped coin? And if we can build one to
handle that spec, do you want to know what it will cost and are you willing to
keep a Class 10000 MFG environment to sustain its operation?

But most importantly.......Why is this hooey being discussed again? Do you
know?

And if they're (whoever they are) serious, what are they trying to capture and
why?

What are these answers?

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
Old July 1st 03, 06:01 AM
Lyntoy1

Sorry if I brought up an old topic that may have been discredited. It was an
honest mistake based on an article that I only glanced at.
I agree that trying to weed out errors is a waste of money on a cost/benefit
basis. Thanks to all- Mike