Truth about PCGS Holders

Old June 30th 03, 11:25 PM
Michael Hubschman

Default Truth about PCGS Holders

I'm laughing so hard I may loose control of my bodily functions, Good one.

Subject: PCGS Holders
From: (Luvsblkcat)
Date: 6/29/03 8:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Are PCGS holders absolutely safe for long term storage of 20 or more

years or

is the ICG holder better?

I've known aging tests to have shown that PCGS holders TRASH coins,
due to PVC damage, resulting in hazing, etc. Just do a google search
or check out the threads on
http://forums.collectors.com

Unless you want your coins TRASHED AND WORTHLESS 10 years from now, in
the long run it is best to have them graded and authenticated by ACG,
not PCGS. Check out http://www.asa-accugrade.com/coins.htm and
http://mediausa.net/acgpackaging/

Note also that PCGS provides and encourages you to submit your coins
in holders cointaining PVC, which has lead to MANY PEOPLE HAVING THEIR
COINS TRASHED **DURING** the submission process (see
http://forums.collectors.com/), sometimes PCGS even provides a
fingerprint on your coin so that it will acquire interesting looking
PVC damage, down the road after the submission process!

Whereas, ACG states to "Ship all coins in Non-PVC RIGID FLIPS " when
submitting. (see http://mediausa.net/acgpackaging/pdf...nse_submit.pdf
)

Remember at the Charlotte hearing, it was brought out that PVC damaged
coins have been found in both ACG and PCGS holders, but that only PCGS
holders and PCGS submission policies are likely to trash your coins
this way - only PCGS encourages submission in PVC holders! (reference
above)

That's one of the reasons ACG had to withdraw from the sham
organization that the ANA has become.

Old July 1st 03, 01:56 AM
Craton

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:56:31 -0400, "John Carney"
wrote:

The ones I received with my B&M/PCGS kit are the hard as stone mylar flips.

I just looked into this, and PCGS switched sometime within the last
year or so, from the soft PVC flips they had included in their kits
previously to the low-plasticizer PVC flips they use now. I actually
have two kits, one older one and one of the new ones. Now, if only
dealers would switch too. g

Did they use soft mylar flips? I thought that they included these little
soft baggie type holder to put your coin into *before* it went into the
safe flips?

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old July 1st 03, 02:13 AM
Reid Goldsborough

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old July 1st 03, 02:58 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:56:45 -0700, Craton wrote:

Did they use soft mylar flips? I thought that they included these little
soft baggie type holder to put your coin into *before* it went into the
safe flips?

Didn't come with the kit I got from PCGS, and never saw any at the
PCGS table at major coin shows.