News Group Dying?

Old August 12th 04, 07:45 PM
Tarkus Shadow

Default News Group Dying?

I'll tell you the main reason this news group is dying. (From my point of
view). NO ONE (barely anyone) says PLEASE & THANK YOU anymore! I'm going to go
out on a limb and say that there are only about 5 (maybe more, so don't get
upset) regular members here that actually post addresses and successes anymore,
WHY? (see please and thank you). I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but if Sue get's
a success, I'm happy for her. I'm not a big Babylon 5 fan, but if someone get's
a success, I'm happy for them. I've posted many Star Trek addy's here in the
past and may have received 2 THANK YOU'S out of how many people troll this
group???? I'm with some of the other regulars here, I don't post addy's or
successes anymore, mainly because, I got a response from (whatever) addy but
"you" get an RTS, Don't THREATEN me!!! either in this group or by e-mail.

I see some people (with websites) post successes here with the "note" that
the addy was obtained via Stararchive, but when you check their site against
reported successes at SA, they've posted nothing. The celebrities don't jibe,
the date's don't jibe and the screen name's don't jibe, so what I get out of it
is somebody's yanking my chain and having a good laugh because they've posted
something bogus, KNOWING somebody else here is going to send.

So, if we can't post something constructive, let's just not post. Okay?

Peace,
Paul
Old August 12th 04, 08:14 PM
dahoov2

As some neighborhood kils love to say.... Booyah! Meaning dead on. I
can fit on one hand the people who say thanks and who post
information. By the way, if anyone NOT bashing me ever sees something
on my site or here (I don't post low crew etc) that they would like
information on, all ya have to do is email! I've helped a lot of
people and pretty much they get what they get and never email again or
only email if they want something else. Which is fine (to an extent).
Those who I've helped that have helped (or at least attempted to) are
the bones of the group here. Decent hard working collectors with a
lot to share to those who aren't harrassing them via email or bashing
everyone else. Seems, most of the exchanges are going on behind the
scenes. Too bad the bashers ruined that for themselves isn't it.

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old August 12th 04, 09:59 PM
NEM

I shall continue posting my successes on a weekly basis and join in the
occasional topic. I prefer this newsgroup to the British based forums I have
dabbled with. They reek of apathy, are too competetive and very, very few
people on them care about anything other themselves and what they can get
for themselves. Any attempt to discuss problems in the hobby is met with a
wall of silence. Even less people share successes than on here.

I love the eclectic mix of everyone's different collecting habits in this
ng. It is fascinating to see and hear about everyone's successes,
experiences, and join in the occasional debate. Despite some spoilsports who
exist purely to try making misery for others, there are many good people on
this newsgroup who care about the hobby and would love to see some of the
problems solved. As someone once wisely said, "sticks and stones may break
my bones, but names will never hurt me". Insults are cheap. Manners,
courtesy and friendship make people feel good and believe it or not, can
make you feel good about yourself. There is no reason why this ng could not
be a very healthy place to discuss autographs.

Enjoy your collecting and take care.

All the best,

Nigel

Old August 13th 04, 12:24 AM
SatansCabanaBoy

Gentlemen, and Ladies:

I just started with the whole autograph thing, and I read your newsgroup. I
collect Toronto Maple Leaf Auto mostly, but I would not turn down finding a
J D Salinger. There are a few collectors that post some Maple Leaf
addresses. I have tried a few, but with no sucess, outside of one. I tried
Pat Quin at the ACC, and sent it to the correct depatment, couresty of a
regular on this news group. As soon as my auto came through, I made a point
of thanking the person, and the group, because I can appreciate the time and
effort it takes to accomplish this task.

I'm not giving anyone grief here, it's just I havent had many sucesses yet.

But, on behalf of the new people trying this out, I would like to thank all
of you who take the time to post working addresses. It is wonderful to see
people's good nature shine through in this newsgroup. I like to read the in
person sucesses, becasue up here in Canada, we don't have much contact with
the famous.

Again, thank you all, and happy hunting.

SCB.

Old August 13th 04, 04:44 AM
Bcoton

Paul, it is a shame you feel you cannot post (for reasons described). Thanks
again for all of your help and good luck with your collecting!