Question About 2000 Sacagawea Dollar U.S. Mint Box

Old May 16th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Sienkiewicz

Default Question About 2000 Sacagawea Dollar U.S. Mint Box

Hello. I'm new to this newsgroup and hope that the experienced
collectors here can help me solve a problem. Back in March of 2000, I
purchased some Sacagawea dollars directly from the U.S. Mint. They
were delivered in the typical Priority Mail carton with address label
and Product ID# . I never opened the box. I put it into a storage
closet and forgot about it for the past seven years..

I recently discovered the box and would like to sell the dollars. The
problem is that the box is still factory sealed and I am unsure of the
exact contents. The part # printed on the label of the box reads: "SA4
002". I know that the "SA4" indicates the U.S. Mint's ID# for the
Sacagawea dollars and the "002" indicates two of something. But I am
not a collector and my knowledge is very limited. The Mint no longer
provides any info about the 2000 Sacagawea dollar. What exactly is
inside? Were there "P" & "D" dollars that year? Does my box possibly
contain one roll each of Philadelphia and Denver dollars? The box
weighs 1 lb + 2 ozs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Old May 17th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Jim Sienkiewicz wrote:
[...]

The contents would be 2000 identical, slightly toned (by now) year 2000 Sacs,
with the mintmark of whichever mint plant made them, in a mint-sewn heavy
denim bag. A tag on the bag will say which mint plant made them.

I would say that the contents are worth $2000, plus whatever premium someone
would pay for such an unopened box/bag. You'd be surprised at how much some
will pay for something like that on eBay. ;-)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old May 17th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roger Hunt

Michael G. Koerner wrote
Jim Sienkiewicz wrote:
[...]

Might it contain two rolls of 25?
That would fit with the entire weight of the package - the coins
weighing ~14½ oz and the packaging making up the other 3½ oz.
I would say that the contents are worth $2000, plus whatever premium someone
would pay for such an unopened box/bag. You'd be surprised at how much some
will pay for something like that on eBay. ;-)

They may get a surprise!
--
Roger Hunt
Old May 17th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message
. ..
Jim Sienkiewicz wrote:
[...]

2000 sac dollars (100 rolls) would only weigh 1lb 2oz?? Sounds more like
about three rolls worth.

Bruce

Old May 17th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Jim Sienkiewicz wrote:
[...]

Well, it could have been one of those little bags, too. I was in a hurry when
I responded to that original posting.

:-p~

:-)

(hehehehehehehe)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Old May 17th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Jim Sienkiewicz wrote:
[...]

Too late now, Michael. After reading your response, Jim went dancing out
the front door and announced he was taking all his neighbors out to dinner.
;)

Bruce

Old May 17th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Jim Sienkiewicz wrote:
[...]

Just like those folks whom get all upset at the coin shop owner when they find
that that jar of 1976 quarters won't put their whole family through Harvard.

:-D

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Old May 20th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Sienkiewicz

Thanks for your input, Michael. Although I am unsure of the exact
contents of the box, I am almost positive that it is not a mint-sewn
bag. I remember ordering "rolls" back in 2000. I know from the label
"SA4 002" info that there are two of something inside the box. It
could be two identical rolls from the same mint, or a 2-roll
Philly/Denver set, or even two sets.

I was hoping that the box weight might indicate something to somebody
in-the-know, but unfortunately none of the replies to my question has
shed any light on it. I re-weighed the box today on a digital postal
scale. It is 1.01 lbs. I have no idea what a 25-coin Sacagawea roll
weighs, but if someone does, it will at least confrm the roll quantity
in the box.

If the contents remain a mystery, I think I'll just put the box up for
auction with the little info I do have and include a scan of the
label. Maybe there are some collectors out there who will know what I
am offering and be interested. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your two-cents (pun intended).

Jim

Old May 20th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Sienkiewicz

On Thu, 17 May 2007 02:26:31 +0100, Roger Hunt
wrote:

Might it contain two rolls of 25?
That would fit with the entire weight of the package - the coins
weighing ~14½ oz and the packaging making up the other 3½ oz

Roger, you were pretty precise with the 14½ oz weight. Is that indeed
the weight of two 25-coin rolls? Knowing that for sure will allow me
to at least rule out "two sets".

Thanks,

Jim

Michael G. Koerner wrote

Old May 20th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Sienkiewicz

On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:01:49 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

Too late now, Michael. After reading your response, Jim went dancing out
the front door and announced he was taking all his neighbors out to dinner.
;)

Bruce

I did indeed, Bruce. However, I exercised caution and announced the
eatery to be "McDonald's". :-)

Jim