Sewing machines as perforators - a guide for the perplexed

Old March 19th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default (RCSD) Sewing machines as perforators

On Mar 18, 4:34 am, "rodney" wrote:
"Asia-translation"

Could quite well be a sewing machine, but I doubt that De La Rue, who
had the India contract at the time, suddenly whipped out the Singer
and put a sheet of Half Annas through it just for a giggle. Most
likely fortuitous. Someone decided they needed a bit of stiffening
when doing the hemming?
Antipodean Anthony

Agreed, but I am hanging out that this may be a perfin,
I soak thousands of Indian issues, there has to be another one day.
They are very well hidden, only for the Eagle eyed.

Rod:

Might it not possibly be a Precancel as opposed to a Perfin?
Perfins usually involve initials, whereas multi barred precancels
have been seen. Canada is but one example.

Old March 19th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Blair (TC)"
Might it not possibly be a Precancel as opposed to a Perfin?
Perfins usually involve initials, whereas multi barred precancels
have been seen. Canada is but one example.

OK, due to its inherent difficulty in identification, to the naked eye,
lets say its hierarchy lies at:
1. Fortuitous
2. Precancel
3. Perfin.
4. Hem stiffener.

Old March 19th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Mar 19, 12:26 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Blair (TC)"

Might it not possibly be a Precancel as opposed to a Perfin?
Perfins usually involve initials, whereas multi barred precancels
have been seen. Canada is but one example.

OK, due to its inherent difficulty in identification, to the naked eye,
lets say its hierarchy lies at:
1. Fortuitous
2. Precancel
3. Perfin.
4. Hem stiffener.

I think we must scratch precancels. Don't think anywhere in India
ever used 'em - if you discount certain issues that, in a used state,
to all intents and purposes only exist CTO (anything from Bijawar, the
1931 set of Charkhari and the 1935 set of Orchha).
Old March 19th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 19, 8:46 am, Asia-translation
wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:26 pm, "rodney" wrote:

"Blair (TC)"

Might it not possibly be a Precancel as opposed to a Perfin?
Perfins usually involve initials, whereas multi barred precancels
have been seen. Canada is but one example.

OK, due to its inherent difficulty in identification, to the naked eye,
lets say its hierarchy lies at:
1. Fortuitous
2. Precancel
3. Perfin.
4. Hem stiffener.

I think we must scratch precancels. Don't think anywhere in India
ever used 'em - if you discount certain issues that, in a used state,
to all intents and purposes only exist CTO (anything from Bijawar, the
1931 set of Charkhari and the 1935 set of Orchha).

Tony :

Are you saying all used Bijawar are CTO, even with BPA certificate?
http://www.tibetanpost.com/images/items/B/bij029.jpg (SG 1-5) used
http://www.tibetanpost.com/images/items/B/bij032.jpg (SG 6-10) used
http://www.tibetanpost.com/images/items/B/bij038.jpg (SG 1-15) used
http://www.icaonline.org/Projects/Cu...cts/dist29.gif
Blair

Old March 20th 08, 08:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:26 pm, "rodney" wrote:

"Blair (TC)"

Might it not possibly be a Precancel as opposed to a Perfin?
Perfins usually involve initials, whereas multi barred precancels
have been seen. Canada is but one example.

OK, due to its inherent difficulty in identification, to the naked eye,
lets say its hierarchy lies at:
1. Fortuitous
2. Precancel
3. Perfin.
4. Hem stiffener.

I think we must scratch precancels. Don't think anywhere in India
ever used 'em - if you discount certain issues that, in a used state,
to all intents and purposes only exist CTO (anything from Bijawar, the
1931 set of Charkhari and the 1935 set of Orchha).

Tony :

Are you saying all used Bijawar are CTO, even with BPA certificate?http://www.tibetanpost.com/images/items/B/bij029.jpg (SG 1-5) usedhttp://www.tibetanpost.com/images/items/B/bij032.jpg (SG 6-10) usedhttp://www.tibetanpost.com/images/items/B/bij038.jpg (SG 1-15) usedhttp://www.icaonline.org/Projects/Current/madhyapradesh/districts/dis...
Blair

I can only recall one Bijawar item coming up for auction that might,
charitably, be described as having passed through the mails, and it
was a per favour pictorial postcard for a European addressee. I can't
recall ever seeing an indubitably postally used stamp from Bijawar,
but I'd believe it with a BPA Certificate. It would be a very nice
item to have.

And talking of such things, I recently picked up my first (apparently
genuine) commercially used cover of one of the 1931 set from
Charkhari,
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...iSG47cover.jpg
although I won't be certain until it gets a clear BPA certificate.

Tony (Southern)
Old March 20th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Sewing machines as perforators - a guide for the perplexed

On Mar 13, 12:44*am, Asia-translation
wrote:
After Lord Rodney of Travencore's snide remark about Barwani using a
sewing machine as a perforator, I thought I might post an image of
just what happens when a sewing machine is used in that way:http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g.../SG23sheet.jpg

This is Barwani SG 23, issued about 1927, but other noteworthy places
(such as Bussahir) also used sewing machines to perforate stamps.

Note that sewing machines don't punch out the paper, and so produce
what would properly be called a 'pin perf'.

(Indeed, perforating stamps wasn't the only notable sewing machine
activity at that time. *I recall from my student days writing an essay
on the Communist rebellion in the Dutch East Indies in 1926-7, which
was in part stirred up by travelling Singer sewing machine salesmen.)

Tony of the Antipodes

I just wonder how the devil you get the thread out without damaging
the stamp.

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old March 20th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 01:23:55 -0700 (PDT), Asia-translation
wrote:

I can only recall one Bijawar item coming up for auction that might,
charitably, be described as having passed through the mails, and it
was a per favour pictorial postcard for a European addressee. I can't
recall ever seeing an indubitably postally used stamp from Bijawar,
but I'd believe it with a BPA Certificate. It would be a very nice
item to have.

And talking of such things, I recently picked up my first (apparently
genuine) commercially used cover of one of the 1931 set from
Charkhari,
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...iSG47cover.jpg
although I won't be certain until it gets a clear BPA certificate.

Hmmm... what about all those perforation "errors" on that Charkhari
set. The printing reeks of CTO! :^)