World Cat and ISBN's?

Old April 25th 05, 07:01 AM
Mark Healey

Default World Cat and ISBN's?

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:28:16 +0000, John A. Stovall wrote:

I thought I knew how World cat and it's ISBN's worked but ran into a
strange one today. It's James Nachtwey's _Inferno_. World Cat has
this:

London: Phaidon,; ISBN: 0714838152 0714838349:

Now when I check the first ISBN: I get the book I expect.

But for the second I get _Mike Kelley_ by John C. Welchman but which
is also by Phaidon Press (November 2, 1999).

Now the mystery thickens: at least one book dealer gives a November
1999 publication date for _Inferno_ but the others give 2000.

Could Phaidon use the same ISBN for part of the run of _Inferno_?

Is there free public access to World Cat anywhere?

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

Old April 25th 05, 01:08 PM
Cathy Krusberg

Mark Healey wrote:

Is there free public access to World Cat anywhere?

It is apparently available through Biblio in some form:
see the press release at

http://www.biblio.com/pages/Biblio_OCLC_partner.html

Excerpt: "Biblio.com will now provide access to millions of
additional book titles in WorldCat through the OCLC FirstSearch
online reference service."

I don't know the details of its availability through this
portal.

Cathy Krusberg

Old April 25th 05, 03:13 PM
Jonathan Grobe

On 2005-04-25, John A Stovall wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:01:19 GMT, Mark Healey wrote:

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:28:16 +0000, John A. Stovall wrote:

I thought I knew how World cat and it's ISBN's worked but ran into a
strange one today. It's James Nachtwey's _Inferno_. World Cat has
this:

London: Phaidon,; ISBN: 0714838152 0714838349:

Now when I check the first ISBN: I get the book I expect.

But for the second I get _Mike Kelley_ by John C. Welchman but which
is also by Phaidon Press (November 2, 1999).

Now the mystery thickens: at least one book dealer gives a November
1999 publication date for _Inferno_ but the others give 2000.

Could Phaidon use the same ISBN for part of the run of _Inferno_?

Is there free public access to World Cat anywhere?

Don't know of full Free public access anywhere. I get via the
university where I'm on staff.

OCLC has a great many records which can be searched by Google,
Yahoo etc. There is now a Yahoo OCLC toolbar you can put on
Internet Explorer.
http://www.oclc.org/toolbar/default.htm

But remember the Research Libraries group database is
freely available at
http://www.redlightgreen.com

--
Jonathan Grobe

Old April 25th 05, 07:04 PM
Patrick Scheible

John A. Stovall writes:

I thought I knew how World cat and it's ISBN's worked but ran into a
strange one today. It's James Nachtwey's _Inferno_. World Cat has
this:

London: Phaidon,; ISBN: 0714838152 0714838349:

Now when I check the first ISBN: I get the book I expect.

But for the second I get _Mike Kelley_ by John C. Welchman but which
is also by Phaidon Press (November 2, 1999).

Now the mystery thickens: at least one book dealer gives a November
1999 publication date for _Inferno_ but the others give 2000.

Could Phaidon use the same ISBN for part of the run of _Inferno_?

Or just what is going on here....

Publishers make mistakes. So do printers and library catalogers.
There are supposed to be different ISBNs for different bindings, but
they are supposed to stay the same from one print run to another, only
changing if there's a revised edition.

As for the date, the publisher might have printed one date on the book
and actually released it earlier or later.

-- Patrick