My Letter to the Senate

Old December 17th 03, 08:57 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

Default My Letter to the Senate

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes nothing.

Dear Senator Kennedy,
I am writing you on the interest of modernizing the United States currency
system. Here are my suggestions: The $1 and $2 Federal Reserve notes should be
redesigned to conform the NexGen series Federal Reserve notes. I know that the
purpose of redesigning the currency is for detering counterfeiting, and the $1
and $2 notes aren't counterfeited much, but the $1 and $2 notes should be
redesigned to keep the currency uniformed, even if they don't have security
features. The $1 and $2 notes should have at least a watermark and security
strip to deter bleaching $1 and $2 notes and printing higher denominations on
the genuine currency paper. I have heard stories of people looking for
watermarks and security strips on $1 and $2 notes and people sometimes think
they are fake because they don't have these features. Also, there has been no
decissions on whether to redesign the $5 and $10 Federal Reserve notes to
conform the NexGen series, so legislation should also be introduced to ensure a
redesign of these denominations as well. Another thing that should happen is
the issuance of a new $200 Federal Reserve note, a reissue of the $500 Federal
Reserve note, and since the 500 Euro note sometimes becomes worth more than
$500 USD, we should also have a reissue of the $1,000 Federal Reserve note. The
United States should have a higher denomination banknote than the Euro to
ensure United States currency as a strong and conveinient store of wealth in
other countries. I know these large denominations were discontinued on July 14,
1969, due to lack of use, but I think there would be more use for these high
denominations today than there was when they were last issued. In a
congressional testimony, it was stated that a $100 Federal Reserve note, going
back 20 to 30 years, was about equal to a $500 note today. I also like to pay
for large and expensive items in cash, and a few $200, $500, or $1,000 notes
would be much more conveinient than a wad of $100 notes, and would be less
noticable by muggers when carried. As for drug dealers using these large
denominations, I don't think these large denominations will help crime doers
much because I have read that they mainly like to use $5, $10, and $20 Federal
Reserve notes. Finally, I have read that, when the Treasury first started
issuing currency, there were plans for a $3 Federal Reserve note that somehow
got dropped. Could you please try to resurrect those plans? I know a $3 note
wouldn't circulate much, but it would be a nice gift idea, or collector's item
for coin and currency collectors, which may raise the government some money.
The $3 note should also have the watermark and security strip to ensure people
it is a new and current denomination. Please consider introducing legislation
in these areas. Thank You for your time.
Sin
cerely,

Tom

I'll be waiting for the flames you guys will throw at me. Let 'er rip!

Old December 17th 03, 09:31 AM
Edward McGrath

Tom wrote: Dear Senator Kennedy, a very big snip Tom your ideas may
appeal to Senator Kennedy if he reads them at the bar or he might just
use your letter as a coaster for his drink : )

Old December 17th 03, 01:51 PM
John Stone

(Malanutt 4 Life) wrote in message ...
[...]

Expect a form letter.... thank you for your interest, signed by a secretary.
Most likely Kennedy will not even see it.
Old December 17th 03, 02:18 PM
Jerry Dennis

No flame from me on the content of your letter, Tom. For me, though, I'd
rather drop the FBI-RD all together and use dollar coins. An updated deuce
wouldn't be a bad idea until we get our own $2 coin. A $3 bill? Hmmm. I
agree with the need for $200, $500 and $1,000 notes.

Jerry
Don't feel bad that you got Ted; I got stuck with Hillary :-(

"Tom" of Malanutt4life proposes:

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes nothing.

Dear Senator Kennedy...

Snipped for brevity. Read the original post.

I'll be waiting for the flames you guys will throw at me. Let 'er rip!

Old December 17th 03, 06:10 PM
A.E. Gelat

Why stop at $1000. There is a tremendous need for $1,000,000 (yes, one
million) notes when paying off the damages that juries are levying in
malpractice suits. Look at all the profit the government will make from
collectors like you who must have one, and never spend it. Besides, you
brought up the prestige angle, and nobody can match it, unless it is Turkey,
that must have multi-million lira notes. Today's rate is 1,427,000 lira to
the dollar, so they probably have 100,000,000 lira notes. I wouldn't ask the
US to issue this high a denomination, because only Bill Gates may want one.

Tony

Old December 17th 03, 06:31 PM
Eddie '/Hi There!'/ Lowther

From: (Eddie '/Hi There!'/ Lowther)
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.coins,alt.politics.greens,alt.relig ion.kibology
Subject: My Letter to the Senate

[...]

Hi, Tom. Can't imagine any flames from this well-thought out and
considered
intellectual post of yours! In addition to the $3 (Either my Suggested
Rutheford B. Hayes, with an obverse of a printing press or see below
what
our office pool suggests: how about:
$1, $2, $10, $20, and $50 (all the same, but with a Pentagon on
Grant's backside?)

$5 = Reagan. War Memorial Hospital, whatever *that* is named.
Anyone remember?

$3 = Nixon, of course. Only Nixon could be on the "fake" bill.

$200 = JFK $500 = Garfeild (obverse, Niagra Falls Electric
Dam/Generator)
$1000 "The Big One" has to be Woodrow Wilson. (Someone suggested
William
"Big H." Seward, after Ben Franklin for contributions though)

Other suggestions, to pass along to Congress and BEP would be welcome
for
this new non-electronic monetary stuff.

Cheers E"HT"L

--
(2,829) Bobhope - That's a lot of space between
(10,781) Ritter - naming asteroids for funnyguys!!
Old December 17th 03, 07:12 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Eddie '/Hi There!'/ Lowther" wrote in message
om
$500 = Garfeild (obverse, Niagra Falls Electric
Dam/Generator)

Cheers E"HT"L

Would that be Garfeild (sic) the cat or the President? :-)

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old December 18th 03, 03:03 AM
John Baumgart

"Malanutt 4 Life" wrote in message
I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes nothing.

Dear Senator Kennedy,
I am writing you on the interest of modernizing the United States currency
system.

Well, since you get stuck writing to Kennedy, why not suggest $0 bills, that
way he can have the government print lots of notes on paper from his
backyard paper producer that are worth less than the paper they're printed
on. People will soon realize this and take the $0 bills out of circulation,
hoarding them for their paper value, creating a higher demand for the paper
they're printed on. The government can then buy back the hoarded notes at
$x per ton for recycling, and then collect capital gains tax from the people
that turn them in, thus funding production of more $0 notes.

John Baumgart

Old December 19th 03, 04:17 AM
The Fausts

"DRACO" wrote in message
om...
I like the fact that one
hundred dollars equal five hundred Euro's. Keeps the dollar strong
overseas.

$100 U.S. is currently worth about 80 Euros.