Modern toned coins

Old October 18th 05, 04:31 AM
Andy

Default Modern toned coins

I know that nicely toned coins will bring a premium, but this is crazy:

Wait till that bubble bursts.

Andy

Old October 18th 05, 12:55 PM
Larry Louks

"Andy" wrote in message
.. .
I know that nicely toned coins will bring a premium, but this is crazy:

Wait till that bubble bursts.

Er...um... ahem. Oh, heck, I'll go ahead and say it -- this one is not gonna
sell.

Larry
'but then, sometimes on eBay..."

Old October 18th 05, 04:56 PM
Brian Blackwell

"Andy" wrote in message
.. .
I know that nicely toned coins will bring a premium, but this is crazy:

Wait till that bubble bursts.

Andy

While he still has great looking coins, the auctions just arn't the same
since Adrian stopped writing the copy.

Old October 18th 05, 06:06 PM
Andy

Auction was ended early. Wonder if there's a buyer? Andy

Old October 18th 05, 11:24 PM
Phil DeMayo

On 18 Oct 2005 13:14:48 -0700, "winwin"
wrote:

While he still has great looking coins, the auctions just arn't
the same
since Adrian stopped writing the copy.

Not only is the toning undoubtedly "manufactured,"

Since you are so certain that the toning is artificial perhaps you can
explain to us how the coin got into a top tier slab.

the underlying condition of the coins is substandard. The modern NCLT proofs
ordinarily trade in PF-69 DCam. This is an inferior Cam example, worth
only a few dollars at most in the marketplace -- except for the AT.

How can you possibly determine anything about the condition of
underlying coin or the level of cameo through the color?

Old October 19th 05, 12:00 AM

winwin wrote:
Not only is the toning undoubtedly "manufactured," the underlying
condition of the coins is substandard. The modern NCLT proofs
ordinarily trade in PF-69 DCam. This is an inferior Cam example, worth
only a few dollars at most in the marketplace -- except for the AT.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, it does look manufactured. It is in a NGC holder, so I suspect the
image is enhanced a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the real coin
doesn't look nicer and more subtle. NGC, from what I've heard, catches
most AT coins that are submitted. If this one actually looks like the
picture, I doubt it would have gotten by them unless it was natural
tone.

The coin must have been in an album that was made at the turn of the
century. The intensity and symmetry of the toning is remarkable, but
not $7500 worth of remarkable.

Anita

Old October 19th 05, 12:09 AM

I checked some of his other things, such as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1880-S-1-PCGS-MS... cmdZViewItem

Still roaring and choking with laughter. Apparently, so are the
potential bidders.

Anita

Old October 19th 05, 01:09 AM
Phil DeMayo

On 18 Oct 2005 16:09:54 -0700, "

I checked some of his other things, such as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1880-S-1-PCGS-MS... cmdZViewItem

Still roaring and choking with laughter. Apparently, so are the
potential bidders.

Anita

Annnnd....what do you find that's so humorous?

Those of us who have been around this newsgroup a significant length
of time would expect to find humor in an Anaconda Coins auction....if
Adrian Crane were still doing the auction descriptions himself. There
were many classics in the past....and it was intentional humor.

However, we also know that he handles many gorgeous high end coins
with high end prices....and specializes in some incredibly toned
pieces.

Here's one of his offerings that seems to be right up your alley.
Anything funny about this?

Old October 19th 05, 01:43 AM
linxlvr

8-------------------------------
Since you are so certain that the toning is artificial perhaps you can
explain to us how the coin got into a top tier slab.

8------------------------------

Of course I've never attempted it, I was of the understanding using gas
youo can tone a slabbed coin...

I am not claiming to know if it's AT or not though. But some of his coins
do make me "wonder VERY much"

-- dw

Old October 19th 05, 02:17 AM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:55:54 GMT, "Larry Louks"
is alleged to have written:
"Andy" wrote in message
. ..
I know that nicely toned coins will bring a premium, but this is crazy:

Wait till that bubble bursts.

Er...um... ahem. Oh, heck, I'll go ahead and say it -- this one is not gonna
sell.

Larry
'but then, sometimes on eBay..."

Let's see, I could get one still in the mint package for about the
price of shipping that monster and have $7500 to spend on a nice 1794
half cent.

Bruce (If it sells, I'm becoming a coin doctor)

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.