Curiosity Corner #177 "Champagne Charlie" on a stamp" now OT

Old January 16th 05, 04:21 PM
TC Blair

Default Curiosity Corner #177 "Champagne Charlie" on a stamp" now OT

Message 2 in thread
From: Rodney )
Subject: Curiosity Corner #177 "Champagne Charlie" on a stamp
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: 2005-01-15 20:47:49 PST

Yes, Blair, I have been scratching my head,
I did a search for the lyrics which showed 1868
so that just doesn't equate.
I think the Aussie Author has it wrong

(However, nothing is always certain, like the tussle
between the inventor of "Felix the Cat"
he was Australian you know

do you recognise this as American? what is "The P.R.F.G" game ??

the internet is amazing, here is a picture of him,
the song, and you can sing along to the 1868 tune
http://www.stephen-foster-songs.de/Amsong12.htm

Message from the newsgroups 1998.
Subject: Lyr Add: CHAMPAGNE CHARLIE (Leybourne, Lee)
From: Earl
Date: 24 Dec 98 - 02:16 PM

I don't know if Leon Redbone did all these verses and
I have no idea what the P.R.F.G. game is.

(Note: Probably an acronym, now unused, from the 1860's.)

Numerious other versions of the song arose.

Champagne Charlie is my name
Champagne drinking is my game
There's no drink as good as fizz! fizz! fizz!
I'll drink ev'ry drop there is, is, is!
All round the town it is the same
By Pop! Pop! Pop! I rose to fame
I'm the Idol of the barmaids
And Champagne Charlie is my name

---------------------------------

"Music Halls proliferated throughout the 1850s and
1860s and the most important figure was the singer.
Singers, mostly male, performed quick-moving racy
ditties, pertinent comments on contemporary events
and the occasional sentimental ballad. They were
the pop idols of their time - paid over £100 per
week, provided with carriages and horses by Music
Hall proprietors, idolised by audiences and saved
for posterity on innumerable sheet music covers.

It was said that Leybourne's 'Champagne Charlie'
was subsidised by the champagne shippers to the
extent of £20 a week.

The songs had specific appeal for urban audiences
- often sharp, cynical and anti-authoritarian;
delighting in songs which cut the new police
force down to size, against income tax, the
penny post, the omnibus, the aesthetic movement;
songs about scandals involving public figures.

During this 'golden period' of Music Hall,
the wealthier patron became hooked, and his
regular attendance was reflected in the form
of the numbers, their subject matter (hence
the countless songs on champagne and fine wine)
and the costumes of the performers.

The Music Hall declined in the 1870s but not
before Victorian music publishers contributed
to the success of popular sheet music with
the development and use of lithographic
printing instead of engraving, which was an
expensive process. The lithographic process
meant as many as 4,000 prints could be run
off before quality started to deteriorate
and for the first time in the history of
printing, a true reproduction of colour
was achieved by careful registration and
skilled workmanship, the artists themselves
pooling their technical knowledge with
the printers.

GEORGE LEYBOURNE had a magnificent voice,
stage presence and magnetic personality
combined with great elegance. This glamour
was well-exploited by his manager who
encouraged him to affect the full dress
and manners of 'the swell' in both public
and private. His best known songs include
Champagne Charlie, Cool Burgundy Ben,
The Flying Trapeze and Up in a Balloon."

MOET AND SHANDON FOR ME: SEQUEL TO CHAMPAGNE CHARLIE.
Words, H. Hurrille. Music, George Leybourne. [no date]

What care I if the world's turned 'round?
No! let it turn and turn again.
No matter if it's upside down,
It still produces good Champagne.
Never care I how the times may go.
Oh! I oh! oh! I oh!
Moet and Shandon still drowns each woe.
Oh! I oh! I oh!

CHORUS: Champagne Charlie was my name.
Champagne-drinking gained my fame.
So, as of old when on the spree,
Moet and Shandon's the wine for me.

The people may of Paris talk,
And call that city fine and gay.
Whene'er I visit La Belle France,
Esparnay's where I make my stay,
Down on the banks where the streamlets flow.
Oh! I oh! oh! I oh!
Purple and gold do the grape-vines grow.
Oh! I oh! I oh! CHORUS

White wines are pale and have no taste.
The red indeed have too much hue.
Moselle in pleasing often fails;
Still Hock's too slow and suits but few.
Burgundy, Sherry, Greek wines, Bordeaux,
Oh! I oh! oh! I oh!
Like Port from Spain, do but taste so-so.
Oh! I oh! I oh! CHORUS

Champagne's the wine for giving toasts.
Let husbands toast their buxom wives,
Whilst lovers drink to sweethearts true,
And bachelors to married lives.
They'll not keep single for long, I know.
Oh! I oh! oh! I oh!
Bachelors by "Cham" will be turned to beaux.
Oh! I oh! I oh! CHORUS

So, come: who'll join my jolly crowd?
At midnight, we'll commence the spree.
"Hurrah for 'Cham!'" we'll shout aloud,
And laugh, and chaff, and sing with glee.
Popping of corks shall let people know,
Oh! I oh! oh! I oh!
"Cham" does as freely as water flow.
Oh! I oh! I oh! CHORUS

CHAMPAGNE CHARLIE WAS HIS NAME
Words, H. J. Whymark. Music, Alfred Lee. 1867.

Some time ago, I had a beau, and Charlie was his name:
A smart young fellow, fond of show, who wished my hand to claim;
But from my feet, I spurned the swell, as I will now explain:
Although he liked me very well, he better loved champagne!

CHORUS: For Champagne Charlie was his name.
Champagne Charlie was his name,
Always kicking up a frightful noise,
Always kicking up a frightful noise.
Champagne Charlie was his name.
Champagne Charlie was his name,
Kicking up a row, at night, boys,
And always ready for a spree.

One moment still he couldn't rest. He passed whole nights and days
In drinking Madame Cliquot's best, and smoking Henry Clays.
Then, to bed he'd homeward go, with wild disordered brain.
He'd lay it to his studies, though I knew 'twas to champagne! CHORUS

He promised me, of times a score, that he the pledge would take,
But acted just like many more, and soon his word did break.
Yes, if for one half-day complete, from drink he could abstain,
He'd go and resolution treat to his revered champagne! CHORUS

He was an artist, in his way; drew herons, cranes and storks;
Yet for all that, he passed the day in simply drawing corks.
Though he'd a palette for his paints, to use it he'd not deign,
Because he'd, like some other saints, a palate for champagne! CHORUS

His cash did quickly disappear, which did not well suit me,
For champagne's dear. Had he drank beer, things different now would be.
I might have been his slave for life, but now 'tis all in vain,
For how can he require a wife, when wedded to champagne? CHORUS

BOURBON BOB (CHAMPAGNE CHARLIE'S BROTHER)
Words, Saul Ser-trew. Music, Rollin Howard. 1869.

Of all the chaps I ever saw, so jolly and so gay,
I sing of one could give you points and beat you ev'ry day.
He dressed himself in gorgeous style, and when a friend he'd meet,
From drinks he never would back out, although he would retreat.

CHORUS: Oh! Yes he was gay and nobby.
They called him Bourbon Bobby.
Like a gay and festive sporter, he spent his money free,
And none in town could take him down on a jolly jamboree.

He used to carry lots of stamps, no matter where he went,
And if he knew a friend was poor, he'd give him ev'ry cent.
He was the pet of all the girls and kept the latest hours.
The reason why he talked so sweet, he lived on bourbon sours. CHORUS

He always smoked the best cigars no matter what the cost.
He played at Keno like a man and paid up when he lost.
At dinner when he took his seat, he took his little nip.
Whenever trouble troubled him, he always let her rip. CHORUS

He sat behind the fastest nag of any on the road.
I tell you what: he always threw three aces when he throwed.
In every gay accomplishment, the boy was most complete.
Although quite "reddish" in the nose, he never was a "beat." CHORUS

Oh, now I end my little song about this gay old sport,
Who, though he practiced at the bar, yet never was in court.
And so he led a jolly life wherever he might be,
And just the happy lad to meet upon a jamboree! CHORUS

Old January 16th 05, 10:21 PM
Rodney

Well done, you!

May I suggest, after a little thought...

P.R.F.G = Public Relations, Foreign Guests.