Did I make a good deal?

Old July 24th 11, 04:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

Default Did I make a good deal?

I just bought the Scott 2010 Vols 1,2 and 3 from Half-Price books for a
total of $47.00. These were all used library books. Does this sound like
a good deal?

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 24th 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
chrisj.doran%[email protected]

On Jul 24, 4:16*am, Chris wrote:
I just bought the Scott 2010 Vols 1,2 and 3 from Half-Price books for a
total of $47.00. These were all used library books. Does this sound like
a good deal?

Last time I bought ex-library SGs from the local library directly here
in the UK, they were about 1 GBP per volume, because they just price
books by cover (hard/soft) and size and don't investigate the normal
secondhand market value. Sadly, it's been a good few years since
there's been any cats on the withdrawn stock shelf when I've looked.

Chris
Old July 24th 11, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/24/2011 08:50 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Chris found these unused words:

I just bought the Scott 2010 Vols 1,2 and 3 from Half-Price books for a
total of $47.00. These were all used library books. Does this sound like
a good deal?

Any book, at any price you can afford, that you -=will=- use is a 'good
deal'.

How true, and I will definitely use these. Now I can use what I read
here about printing my own pages to use for the other than US stamps I
have. The other 3 volumes were available but I didn't see any 2010
editions, I'll have to look closer but I did get the three main ones I
needed at the moment.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 25th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Mycroft

On 7/23/2011 11:16 PM, Chris wrote:
I just bought the Scott 2010 Vols 1,2 and 3 from Half-Price books for a
total of $47.00. These were all used library books. Does this sound like
a good deal?

As with many things, it depends. The guy who bought those from the
library probably paid $1 or $2 a book so he got a good deal. On the
other hand, you got them for a couple of hundred bucks less than they
cost new so you got a good deal. You have to be the world's luckiest
person to collar catalogs from a library sale so I'd certainly pat
myself on the back if I were you. (I don't recall how much I paid for
my full set of 2007s in 2009 but I do recall being very pleased with the
3 figure price.)

You can sometimes pick up a good deal on ebay, too though last year's
catalogs go for more than you paid.

There are some amazing book bargains to be had from second hand online
book stores. I teach and tutor math and have often recommended that my
students pick up a copy of their school textbook to keep at home - you
can often get a $100+ school book for less than $10 and it has the
advantage of being available if you can't resist doing a bit of
refresher summer reading. Also saves getting a rupture from carting all
those textbooks around.

Cheers - John Mycroft
Old July 25th 11, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/25/2011 03:35 PM, John Mycroft wrote:
[...]

Thanks John, seeing what the prices are new or even for some used ones
that can run into 3 figures I'm pleased and of course so is my wife

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 26th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message

What amazes me is that scutt hasn't yet figured out how to put their
catalogues on line, sell a 'membership' and not have to keep pulping
trees!

Silviculture is the practice of controlling the establishment, growth,
composition, health, and quality of forests to meet diverse needs and
values. The name comes from the Latin silvi- (forest) + culture (as in
growing).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silviculture

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old July 27th 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On Jul 26, 4:42*pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
[...]

The cost of their CD cats is still too high compared with their savings from
physical printing - and an on line version could be even cheaper!

Ah well, technology comes late to some.- Hide quoted text -

SG had their cat online on a subscription basis for a while, but now
it's free (registration required). Perhaps it wasn't economic. The sub
version included extras that I, at least, didn't want or need, though
I think it had more varieties than the present one does.

Chris
Old July 29th 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Andy Pastuszak

I got an email from a Scott/Amos rep telling me that there would be an online version of the catalog later this year.
Old July 30th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/29/2011 05:57 PM, Andy Pastuszak wrote:
I got an email from a Scott/Amos rep telling me that there would be an online version of the catalog later this year.

Thanks Andy, I'll be looking for it.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C