Travel Channel: Secrets of the US Mint

Old September 3rd 03, 01:55 AM
Fred

Well anyone who is interested in going to the US Mint in Philly, I went at
the beginning of July and they had some of the displays stored away because
of OSHA.

They did state that you could not bring any kind of recording devices in.
Although it was very neat and informative and I will do it again next year.

As for the free sample, they gave everyone a 1994 uncirculated Lincoln cent
and a blank cent planchet in a mylar plastic insert. I was pleased.

Fred

"Richard" wrote in message
This is not the same special that has been on the History channel over the

last
year or so.

This one starts out similar and even appears to have some of the same

footage,
but they go in to how proofs are made (quarters). They then go in to gold

coins
and platinum. They also discuss West Point. They also have a quick piece

at
the end about error coins. Nothing most people here probably don't

already
know, but a neat show none the less.

It was on yesterday, and the only upcoming showing I see over the next 2

weeks
is on Saturday 9/6 at 6pm EST.

Old September 3rd 03, 05:11 PM
rhodo chrosite

Default Travel Channel: Secrets of the US Mint

Did they show the presses, cutters, bundling machine, etc? When I was on
the tour a couple weeks ago They repeated twice "no photos - if you do, your
cameras will be confiscated. Also don't touch the low ceiling, it is
alarmed."

"Richard" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:28:29 GMT, Richard wrote:

This is not the same special that has been on the History channel over

the last
year or so.

This one starts out similar and even appears to have some of the same

footage,
but they go in to how proofs are made (quarters). They then go in to

gold coins
and platinum. They also discuss West Point. They also have a quick

piece at
the end about error coins. Nothing most people here probably don't

already
know, but a neat show none the less.

It was on yesterday, and the only upcoming showing I see over the next 2

weeks
is on Saturday 9/6 at 6pm EST.

There is another episode on right after this one that is titled "Inside

the
World's Mightiest Bank". It's about the federal reserve banks, but 3/4 of

the
show is about the acutal process used to print bills. More detailed that

any
other show I've seen on the subject.

Old September 4th 03, 06:06 PM
John Mason

Fred,

They didn't give us nothing but a , thanks and come again at the end of the
tour, although the exit was placed very conveniently in the path of the souvenir
section, and went didn't get out of there until I had given them back a few dead
Presidents.

John

Fred wrote:

As for the free sample, they gave everyone a 1994 uncirculated Lincoln cent
and a blank cent planchet in a mylar plastic insert. I was pleased.

Fred

"

Remove NOSPAM to reply

Your Friend in Gold Mining......John

Artificial Intelligence is No Match for Natural Stupidity

Old September 4th 03, 09:54 PM
Joe Fischer

:
: There is another episode on right after this one that is titled
: "Inside the World's Mightiest Bank". It's about the federal
: reserve banks, but 3/4 of the show is about the acutal process
: used to print bills. More detailed that any other show I've
: seen on the subject.

Yes, I stayed up late to watch both, and got a better
perspective on the dollar coin issue.

Counterfeiting is a huge problem, and inventories
of coins and currency are even more huge to manage.
I have seen automation before, but having a
complete warehouse being completely automated like
a parking garage seems outlandish.

I got the impression that the working inventory
of dollar bills in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York
alone is greater than all dollar coins minted to date,
but they also handle all foriegn demand for US money.
The amount a money device is used is the indicator
of it's utility, and that warehouse stacked skids higher
than Home Depot.

I would love to work where the mint the proof
platinum coins, five strikes on pre-polished planchets,
compared to only three strikes on gold proofs.

Joe Fischer

--
3