Inherited box of coins.

Old May 14th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Inherited box of coins.

I'm not a collector, and don't intend to start, but I was bequeathed a
cache of "mint state" and "proof" sets spanning every year from 1954
through 2004 -- 58 sets in all. The oldest ones are sealed in original
manilla date-stamped envelopes and the rest are in plastic cases.

The relative who left them behind was a meticulous devotee, but knowing
little about token money beyond its face value myself, it made sense to
seek out Usenet hobbyists who could perhaps give me a clue by
entertaining realistic bids on the whole lot.

Yeah, I've earned an educated idea, but since I don't want to make a
laborious chore out of it, this makes the better classroom. The last
thing I want to do is call a local dealer, or place an ad.

I realize the only fair assessment involves a visual, but from what I
can see, these coin sets are flawless and reflect the passion of a
great guy who gathered them over many years. I don't know why he left
them to me, but he did, because he knew just what I would do.

And although it's mighty tempting, I won't dare to open the six sealed
envelopes he has here, because the web price ranges I've seen aren't
exactly wishful thinking, and even I know what it can mean to a serious
collector. Thanks for your participation.

Old May 14th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:
I'm not a collector, and don't intend to start, but I was bequeathed a
cache of "mint state" and "proof" sets spanning every year from 1954
through 2004 -- 58 sets in all. The oldest ones are sealed in original
manilla date-stamped envelopes and the rest are in plastic cases.

Given that you've stated there are 58 sets in all and no indication of
how many are "proof" and how many are "mint state" with particulars -
like dates - it's a bit hard to entertain realistic bids on the whole lot.

--
JMark
Old May 15th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

My apologies -- I should have considered that. There are 27 sets of
mirror-like examples (from 1974 to 2001). The rest are mint state (I
assume that's what the 1954 to 1960 envelopes contain too).

Some of the dates overlap, but every year between 1954 and 2004 is
represented here by one type or the other (or both). He never got the
chance to go any further. There were other facets to his vast
collection, but I got the box of mint sets.