storing proof sets securely

Old May 14th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default storing proof sets securely

OK, I have been buying some items from the
mint which has been something of a mixed
blessing as they have risen in price, but now
I have to worry about theft.

Where do you store this stuff so the guy coming to
fix the sink wont walk off with it?

Old May 14th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Buy a home safe at any mega store, they are fire proof & very heavy.

Old May 14th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Buy a home safe at any mega store, they are fire proof & very heavy.

Got to watch those fireproof safes from those places. Yes, they may weigh
200 lbs (with you stuff in them), but they are not theft proof. Granted,
they may slow down a thief, but listen to this.

About two years ago I went to a demonstration put on by one of the local
"Safe and Lock" companies. They took a brand new "Costco" Firesafe (about
150 lbs). With an iron prybar, it took less than 30 seconds to open it. I
think these safes give a false since of security.

My safe is 3500 lbs with an 800 lbs door. Just try to get into, or move
THAT sucker!
Wes

Old May 14th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:10:57 -0500, Tom wrote:
OK, I have been buying some items from the
mint which has been something of a mixed
blessing as they have risen in price, but now
I have to worry about theft.

Where do you store this stuff so the guy coming to
fix the sink wont walk off with it?

My stuff is all stored securely in a vault. Think about it - unless you
really want to look at it every day, for the cost of one of those coins,
per year, you can have a safe deposit box that will hold all of them.
The benefit:risk ratio is favorable. Of course, for actively worked on
books that doesn't work, but at least it keeps the bulk more secure than
having it at home in one of the obvious expected "hiding" places.

Old May 14th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Where do you store this stuff so the guy coming to fix the sink wont
walk off with it?

uhh, Not under the sink ?

Old May 14th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:25:51 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
wrote:

My safe is 3500 lbs with an 800 lbs door. Just try to get into, or move
THAT sucker!

Ummm, you store your coins in a Hummer? LOL
Old May 15th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
nk.net...
Buy a home safe at any mega store, they are fire proof & very heavy.

Got to watch those fireproof safes from those places. Yes, they may weigh
200 lbs (with you stuff in them), but they are not theft proof. Granted,
they may slow down a thief, but listen to this.

About two years ago I went to a demonstration put on by one of the local
"Safe and Lock" companies. They took a brand new "Costco" Firesafe (about
150 lbs). With an iron prybar, it took less than 30 seconds to open it.

think these safes give a false since of security.

My safe is 3500 lbs with an 800 lbs door. Just try to get into, or move
THAT sucker!
Wes

Ever see those security camera videos of people driving tow trucks thru
walls to rip out safes and ATM's?
You'd need a big one for that kind of safe--like a semi-truck size.
I know a place in town that has their big mama safe bolted down with 1 inch
bolts.

Old May 15th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:10:57 -0500, Tom wrote:
OK, I have been buying some items from the
mint which has been something of a mixed
blessing as they have risen in price, but now
I have to worry about theft.

Where do you store this stuff so the guy coming to
fix the sink wont walk off with it?

My stuff is all stored securely in a vault. Think about it - unless you
really want to look at it every day, for the cost of one of those coins,
per year, you can have a safe deposit box that will hold all of them.
The benefit:risk ratio is favorable. Of course, for actively worked on
books that doesn't work, but at least it keeps the bulk more secure than
having it at home in one of the obvious expected "hiding" places.

It would be expensive to store mint items in a
safety deposit box. It is expensive to store junk
silver in a safety deposit box and mint items are
more bulky,i.e., less dollars per volume to mint
items. Do you really store proof sets in a safety
deposit box?

Old May 15th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 14 May 2006 22:10:14 -0500, Tom wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message ...

My stuff is all stored securely in a vault. Think about it - unless you
really want to look at it every day, for the cost of one of those coins,
per year, you can have a safe deposit box that will hold all of them.
The benefit:risk ratio is favorable. Of course, for actively worked on
books that doesn't work, but at least it keeps the bulk more secure than
having it at home in one of the obvious expected "hiding" places.

It would be expensive to store mint items in a
safety deposit box. It is expensive to store junk
silver in a safety deposit box and mint items are
more bulky,i.e., less dollars per volume to mint
items. Do you really store proof sets in a safety
deposit box?

They're in a vault. I'd rather not go into a lot of details. But let's
just say that regardless of the location, an awful lot of effort and
some nasty surprises would be involved in trying to get to them.

As far as cost of storage, well, I guess it depends on how much stuff
you're talking, and how much you're willing to pay to protect it, vs how
comfortable you are with the possibility of losing it. For a home
situation, a heavy safe bolted to the concrete floor from inside the
safe, would seem like a reasonable solution.