I bought a Morgan on ebay that looks like a VAM Top 100

Old May 13th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I bought a Morgan on ebay that looks like a VAM Top 100

Thanks Mike.

Mike wrote:
anti-spam wrote:

Waht does 'VAM' stand for?

Van Allen and Mallis, the authors of the "Encyclopedia of Morgan and
Peace Dollars".

Mike

Old May 13th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Just curious, does this hold true to "Hallmark" (earlier PCI) slabs with a
10 digit number?

Here ya go: http://www.k6az.com/pci/pci.htm

Mike

Old May 13th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

anti-spam wrote:
Waht does 'VAM' stand for?

I was wondering at that too, anti-spam. Some of the other coin
collecting jargon got me as well.
Apparently VAM:
VAM number
Unique number assigned to each die combination of Morgan and Peace
dollar known to the authors of The Complete Catalog and Encyclopedia of
United States Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. Called VAM because of the
authors Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis.
Van Allen-Mallis
The Morgan and Peace dollar variety book authors. First published
in 1971, it was updated and reprinted in 1998.

Found this and more at this website:
http://www.pcgs.com/lingo_static.chtml
cheers,
Riff
Old May 13th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Randy Thompson wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation and information from both of you. Here is
the ebay auction where I won the coin.

You are right. I have had a couple of the old PCI holders and the grade
seemed right. It may crossover to a PCGS 65. I don't know how good the
strike of an O-mint coin has to be before it can make it into a PCGS 65
holder. I've had several O Morgans that were free of marks, but still
earned only a 64. The ones I remember had poor strike (flat hair and
ears, poor feathers). Yours may be better than the ones I remembered.
PCGS is lenient with the strike of O-Mint coins at the lower MS grades.
I've never owned a MS65 or better for the O-Mint, so I don't know what
the strike looks like in higher grades. ANA standards require a good
strike for 65, but good strike for the O-Mint may be judged more
leniently than for the P or S-Mint.

I think the price you paid is a good one for the coin. It has toning
that many people like.

Anita

Old May 13th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"VAM" stands for "SCAM".

"but many of the coins don't bring a premium in the real market" - a
beautiful statement.

Morgan dollars ain't rare.

oly

Old May 13th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

oly wrote:

"VAM" stands for "SCAM".

"but many of the coins don't bring a premium in the real market" - a
beautiful statement.

Morgan dollars ain't rare.

oly

Yup, just like the 1955/55 penny... they made 300+ 1955 pennies after
all, common as dirt.

Mike

Old May 13th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

VAM is phony baloney. Psuedo-science. A mountain from a molehill.
False scholar****.

In the 1880s and 1890s the U.S. Mint had to wade through mountains of
silver every month. They made 1000s of dies. It had to be hectic, a
crazy time.

The flaws, the minor errors, mean nothing. They don't tell us ****
about the era that they were produced in, they don't tell us anything
about the minting process. Little flaws, nicks in the dies from where
they were dropped, tools hit the die faces, die clashes, big whoopee.

A 1955 double die cent would be a great thing to find for zero and sell
for a lot; but I'd never buy one.

oly

oly