Salvation Army find

Old December 30th 05, 05:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default Salvation Army find

I fixed the auto changer. it now sets the tone arm down at the edge of
the record

Old December 30th 05, 06:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

where should i set the antiskate with these?

Old December 30th 05, 06:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

i see this on my tone arm what does it mean

+ -
-
-
-
-
-
- -

Old December 30th 05, 06:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 29 Dec 2005 21:00:09 -0800, "rusty" wrote:

where should i set the antiskate with these? snip

On most of these, the value on the anti-skate control equals the
tracking force, thus...set VTF for 2 grams, set anti-skate for the
same. I don't know what kind of cartridge is in this thing, but it
can't be too good, so 2's a good place ot start. Any markings on the
cartridge body itself?

dB
Old December 30th 05, 06:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 29 Dec 2005 21:20:02 -0800, "rusty" wrote:

i see this on my tone arm what does it mean

+ -
-
-
-
-
-
- -

Obviously that's your VTF, and the thing's too cheesy to have it
calibrated. You'll have to invest in a stylus pressure guage,
available all over, including eBay, for a few bucks.

dB
Old December 30th 05, 07:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

there is another adjustment that has the numbers 2,4,6 what does this
do? i've never had a turntable with this many adjustments thanks

Rusty

Old December 30th 05, 07:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

it's made by pickering

Old December 30th 05, 08:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 29 Dec 2005 22:17:48 -0800, "rusty" wrote:

it's made by pickering snip

Number?

dB
Old December 30th 05, 08:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 29 Dec 2005 22:12:22 -0800, "rusty" wrote:

there is another adjustment that has the numbers 2,4,6 what does this
do? i've never had a turntable with this many adjustments thanks snip

Any halfway decent turntable will have direct reading VTF, calibrated
in grams, and anti-skating, also calibrated in grams. You have a
Pickering cartridge (basically a gussied up Stanton) which is better
than most "all in ones" could ever hope to have. Not knowing the
model of that Pickering and just recollecting experience with them
over the years, I'd go for 2 grams both in VTF and anti-skate.

Look at the front of the cartridge...you should see a model number on
the stylus assembly. I'm pretty sure you can get a new stylus for
this pretty easily. Any junk that comes from a Salivating Army store
has to have a suspect stylus, trust me on this.

I'm curious as to what make the turntable really is. Is it a changer
or a straight turntable?

dB
Old December 30th 05, 08:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:32:47 -0800, DeserTBoB
wrote:

On 29 Dec 2005 22:12:22 -0800, "rusty" wrote:

there is another adjustment that has the numbers 2,4,6 what does this
do? i've never had a turntable with this many adjustments thanks snip

Any halfway decent turntable will have direct reading VTF, calibrated
in grams, and anti-skating, also calibrated in grams. snip

Before you set this at all, you have to "balance" the arm. If this
tonearm has a cylindrycal counterweight at the rear, it also many have
a plastic round plastic piece on the front or rear that is lightly
"clutched" to the counterweight. In other words, you can turn it
independently of the counterweight itself.

Let me know if this is the case, or if you can post a picture of the
tonearm somewhere.

dB