Tape Player Problem

Old April 28th 05, 04:55 AM
DeserTBoB

On 27 Apr 2005 16:38:24 -0700, "trippingtoo8track"
wrote:

I may be interested in your JVC deck if you want to get rid of it.snip

Don't fall for this one! He'll try to get that thing for nothing, and
then spam it all over Usenet at a fat profit! Fix it and keep it.

dB
Old April 28th 05, 06:19 PM
trippingtoo8track

ps- just email any time if you want to sell the JVC

Old April 29th 05, 01:49 AM
Jonny the 8-Tracker!

Speaking of playerly troubles, what are the odds that a General
Electric quad player/receiver (with stereo AND four-channel aux inputs,
even) I see in a thrift store will be worth $40? Besides the fact that
thrift stores aren't always the best place for a find (though my $3.98
Lloyd's receiver is worth more than its weight on gold), how durable
were the GEs?

Old April 29th 05, 03:15 AM

Jonny the 8-Tracker! wrote:
Speaking of playerly troubles, what are the odds that a General
Electric quad player/receiver (with stereo AND four-channel aux

inputs,
even) I see in a thrift store will be worth $40? Besides the fact

that
thrift stores aren't always the best place for a find (though my

$3.98
Lloyd's receiver is worth more than its weight on gold), how durable
were the GEs?

The older GE's are great players- I had a few of them, they look really
neat and played well too. They have an angled face on the ones I had.
One of them was a quad, the other stereo. They both brought over $100
on ebay- one I believe fetched $150 or more. Recently prices have come
down though. It's hard to get a player price over $100 anymore due to
flooding of the player market on ebay, and tons of competition from
wanna-bee sellers who aren't even into 8-tracks. It's becoming a
diminishing market over time. Prices are about 1/2 or less than what
they were at the peak of the "rebirth" of 8-tracks and ebay.

Realize any of these players you get, have to be completely serviced to
be worth anything. The worst thing you can do is auction it "as is",
in that case unless a really rare model, it's worth less than $50 on
ebay.

$40 for that deck is as high as I'd go at a thrift store. Actually
I'd try to get it cheaper, and may pass on it for that price. Often I
would go in and fill an entire shopping cart with decks and all-in-ones
for $5 per unit. It's just like the stock market, you want to buy low
and sell high.

Old April 29th 05, 09:12 PM
ommadawn

From a trusted tech:

I've never heard of a run capacitor in an 8-Track. 8-Track players use DC
motors with permanent magnets, and "run" capacitors are normally used on an
AC synchronous motor. It's more likely that the motor's bearing is shot,
which would cause that same symptom. Other causes are also possible.

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:01:06 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Yes, I tried it again today, and it works fine for the first minute, then
slips into 'underwater mode'... snip

Replace the motor run capacitor...done.

dB

Old April 29th 05, 10:41 PM
trippingtoo8track

this information is wrong- many 8-track decks use AC MOTORS- such as
Akai 80-81-82, Wollensack 8050, some Sony TC-228, most Zenith, all JVC
I've seen, and many more. read the archives on AC motors, the AC motor
decks are the best.

to get an ac motor to turn in the proper direction, and regulate the
speed to 3.75 IPS, they use a capacitor in series with the motor.

your trusted tech is mistaken

Old April 29th 05, 10:42 PM
trippingtoo8track

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1f741 43b46a5

also check this thread

Old April 29th 05, 10:47 PM
trippingtoo8track

here's one more

From: (Danspeakin)
Newsgroups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Date: 07 Sep 2002 01:53:37 GMT
Subject: When did cassettes take over from eight-tracks?

You have to do a lot of fast forwarding using auto stop to index
8-tracks to the beginning of a channel for recording, but it goes
along pretty fast.

That's if your decks don't start burning up left and right, then you
gotta see "the man", Dan2...lol...

This brings up an issue that I have been meaning to tell you folks.
Over the
years it has become standard operating procedure to replace all the
electrolytic capacitors in tube type equipment. The capacitors dry up
inside
and become ticking time bombs, going POW at inoportune moments.
I hadn't hought about what the life span was on these capacitors until
recently
when I got an Akai in for "motor" problems. The Akai has one of the
best AC
motors in the business and AC motors use big high voltage capacitors to
make
them start up from a dead stop. This Akai had a capacitor exploded all
over
inside it with goo coating all associated components. I guess the
message here
is that these things are getting old enough to need preventative
maintenance
just like the tube equipment has for many years now.
Dan2

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en

Old April 29th 05, 11:41 PM
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:12:39 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

From a trusted tech:

I've never heard of a run capacitor in an 8-Track. 8-Track players use DC
motors with permanent magnets, and "run" capacitors are normally used on an
AC synchronous motor. snip

I hate to tell you this, and I **truly** hate to back up Noodles, but
he's right. Your tech knows nada about early 8 tracks and cassette
machines for home. Most of the earlier models did indeed use
synchronous AC motors, and they all use a run capacitor. Tell your
tech that a pro says he needs to go back to school. An example: The
Wollensak 8050 had an AC synchronous motor; the next model, the 8055,
had a tachyservo controlled DC PM motor.

Again, I hate to back up Noodles, but in this case, he's right.

dB
Old April 30th 05, 01:23 AM
Jonny the 8-Tracker!

I think I'll do some talk scorning the abilities of "thriftie" 8-track
decks, make it sound like I'm only somewhat interested, and try to get
the price down to $30 on that quad if it checks out when I plug in some
speakers in the back. That and, as Trip suggested a little while
ago, to ask them if they'll hold any 8-tracks they want to "dispose of"
until I can check 'em out, knowing a bit more than coffee stains!

I'll be on my way down to the store tomorrow...wish me luck!