American Eagle silver coin weight

Old December 18th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bigfoot048

Default American Eagle silver coin weight

I have several of the American Eagle 1 oz. silver coins. This is the
one with standing liberty on the obverse and an eagle on the reverse.
On the reverse is says "1 oz. fine silver." No where on these coins does
it say troy ounce or .999. Are these coins 1 troy ounce or 1 ounce
silver coins? I think there are 12 troy ounces in a troy pound and 16
ounces in a standard pound, but I am not sure. Can anybody clear this
up for me? I see other silver coins that say 1 troy ounce and .999.
Old December 18th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 17, 7:29*pm, Bigfoot048 wrote:
I have several of the American Eagle 1 oz. silver coins. *This is the
one with standing liberty on the obverse and an eagle on the reverse.
On the reverse is says "1 oz. fine silver." No where on these coins does
it say troy ounce or .999. *Are these coins 1 troy ounce or 1 ounce
silver coins? *I think there are 12 troy ounces in a troy pound and 16
ounces in a standard pound, but I am not sure. *Can anybody clear this
up for me? *I see other silver coins that say 1 troy ounce and .999.

The Red Book says on Page 341 under $1 SILVER EAGLES: "Composition .
9993 silver, .0007 copper (net weight 1 oz. pure silver); weight
31.101 grams'.

That last bit about weight is what tells you that you are dealing with
troy weights:

See this link:

http://www.goldcalculator.com/index_files/page0033.htm

oly
Old December 18th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 17, 7:36*pm, oly wrote:
[...]

I meant to specifically say the 2011 Red Book, the large print edition!
Old December 18th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Dec 17, 8:38*pm, oly wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:36*pm, oly wrote:

[...]

I meant to specifically say the 2011 Red Book, the large print edition!- Hide quoted text -

FYI: The less prestigeous non professional, ordinary print, 2006
edition of the Red Book says the same on p.326.
The 2010 blue book seems to omit that detail.
Old December 18th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on
12/17/2010
at 05:45 PM, Peter said:

FYI: The less prestigeous non professional, ordinary print, 2006 edition of
the Red Book says the same on p.326.
The 2010 blue book seems to omit that detail.

2010 Krause:

KM# 273 0.9993 SILVER 0.9993 oz. ASW. 40.6mm. 31.1050 g.

Nick
Old December 18th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 17, 7:45*pm, Peter wrote:
On Dec 17, 8:38*pm, oly wrote:

On Dec 17, 7:36*pm, oly wrote:

[...]

The 2010 blue book seems to omit that detail.- Hide quoted text -

You know, I have the most recent (I believe it is the inagural) Red
Book professional edition!!!

I bought a copy because I feel it won't be successful and that it
might become rather collectible.

oly
Old December 18th 10, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 17, 7:52*pm, oly wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:45*pm, Peter wrote:

On Dec 17, 8:38*pm, oly wrote:

On Dec 17, 7:36*pm, oly wrote:

[...]

oly- Hide quoted text -

read "inaugural"...
Old December 18th 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
j-rod

oly wrote:

On Dec 17, 7:36 pm, oly wrote:
[...]

LOL

I have to increase the font size on my browser to 16 just to read all
the scintillating discussions here.

JAM
Old December 18th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 17, 8:26*pm, j-rod wrote:
oly wrote:

On Dec 17, 7:36 pm, oly wrote:
[...]

JAM- Hide quoted text -

You can read??? You just seem to grunt - short imprecise incoherent
disjointed grunts.

Of course, they say the same thing about me!!!

oly
Old December 19th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Dec 17, 7:29*pm, Bigfoot048 wrote:
I have several of the American Eagle 1 oz. silver coins. *This is the
one with standing liberty on the obverse and an eagle on the reverse.
On the reverse is says "1 oz. fine silver." No where on these coins does
it say troy ounce or .999. *Are these coins 1 troy ounce or 1 ounce
silver coins? *I think there are 12 troy ounces in a troy pound and 16
ounces in a standard pound, but I am not sure. *Can anybody clear this
up for me? *I see other silver coins that say 1 troy ounce and .999.

Silver and gold are always in troy ounces, and "fine" silver is .999
or better.