Stamp Collecting future?

Old November 5th 03, 05:20 AM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:01:51 -0500, "Doug Spade"
wrote:

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 06:27:34 GMT, Bob Ingraham
wrote:

. Oddly, there was always money for computers.....

Funny, we got the same little problem here in Michigan. A $325 million
deficit in the school aid fund, schools facing a $200 per student pro-rata
reduction in the middle of the school year, but certain political leaders
are doing their darndest to keep a $39 million appropriation for laptops for
6th graders intact! We'd be better off if every kid got one of Tracy's
stamp packets. (Keeping this on topic!)

Laptops! Sheesh, how about a different contract for desktops? Can
you say CHEAPER? I knew you could!

As mentioned above, it still sux. Trying to adhere to older standards
doesn't apply in the ever-changing world. Not saying to write your
own ticket in a classroom, but stopped mass-producing robots.

Maybe this is one of the reasons some of the kids that come out of
high school can't read or write properly? Sad...

Another little problem---an eagerness on the part of some to blame the
schools, blame the teachers, institute policies which appear to be designed
to identify the schools as failures, and a failure to understand that many
factors in the home have much to do with a student's academic success or
lack of it. Maybe we'd be better off if every politician got one of Tracy's
packets! (Again keeping it on topic!)

Have 'em send me a letter. I'll add a new sheet of politically
correct info as well as stamps. :^) I'm sure some of the regulars
here will contribute to said document!

"We don't need no education,
We don't need no thought control,
No dark sarcasm in the classroom,
Teachers! Leave those kids alone!"

"All in all, you're just another, brick in the wall."

One of my favorites from college!

hehehehehehe... Well, it's "sort of" true, eh?

Tracy Barber
Old November 5th 03, 05:48 AM
Dave

I have an interest in airliners and one of the magazines (or maybe
both) decorate the readers' mail pages with airliner topical stamps. I
wonder if any of those stamps pictured spark any interest in our hobby.

Dave (oddly enough, I don't collect airliner stamps)
"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:42:27 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

I have to wonder sometimes if there is a future. Here in Rochester

it
has been very rare for anything philatelic to ever get mentioned in the

news
media. The one exception has been the RPA annual show, but even that is

quick soundbite that you could miss if you happened to sneeze at that
moment.

Same with smAlbany. But, stampin' still goes on.

I offered to the local newspaper, the Democrat & Chronicle, to write
for them a short weekly stamp collecting feature. For free no less!

Sorry,
not interested. I can remember as a boy the Sunday newspaper had a

regular
stamp feature; part "how-to" and part new issues news. Haven't seen
anything like that since.

That would be a cool feature. I haven't subscribed to a local rag in
a few years. Never make time to really read it.

When I lived in Hong Kong the South China Daily Post had a regular
stamp feature, sometimes several times a week.

Kewl... as the kids would say!

Kids, or anyone else for that matter, will not be attracted to our
hobby if they never hear about it. Like lemmings people at the post

office
buy the "flag & whatever" stamp offered by clerks who seem brainwashed

that
the commemoratives are "collectables".
Could any of the following promote our hobby?:
local stamp clubs sponsor school stamp club activities

Seminars, small bourses, etc.

PO clerks offer commemoratives to customers

Tough one to "enforce". A nicety. But - unless one is totally blind,
there are usually posters on the walls showing off the latest this and
that stamp. Several post offices where I live actually have sheetlets
of said stamps out in glass cases that are directly in the path of the
incoming traffic.

Commems are not hidden. Many people are just lazy and ask for the
"usual". I think that's more prevalent than not. It's not important
to the average customer.

Having P.O. employees - "May I interest you in our latest whiz-bang
comemorative stamp" might be taking it a bit too far.

newspaper philatelic features

Tough to break into, unless one has "contacts" and is politically
correct with the times.

organize stamp clubs in various civic groups, etc.

Has to be the interest there.

work with boy and girls scouts

Some of that is done now. My free stamps have been passed on to many
merit badge wannabes!

there's probably more I'm sure.

Well... I have been doing some decent surfing over the past 3 years or
more and have found sites that weren't stamp sites suddenly showing
stamps to enhance their pages. Of course, YMMV.

Sports, history, hobby pages. Some found on pages that one would not
think of seeing stamps, stamps were used to illustrate something.

Whether or not this "rings a bell", maybe it plants a seed or triggers
some mnemonic response and one starts collecting topicals. Sooner or
later, they run out of that topical and may start a new one.

You can lead a horse to water...

Tracy Barber

Old November 5th 03, 05:55 AM
TC

wrote:

I have to wonder sometimes if there is a future. Here in Rochester it
has been very rare for anything philatelic to ever get mentioned in the news
media. The one exception has been the RPA annual show, but even that is a
[...]
Dave (it was a nasty rainy day... affected my mood?)

You might want to make the offer to a local weekly paper.
They pay little but you can get in more easily.
Guess what... research shows they are read
and read more than the big daily papers.

Blair

Old November 5th 03, 03:56 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: "Dave"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 04:48:17 GMT
Subject: Stamp Collecting future?

snip

Well... I have been doing some decent surfing over the past 3 years or
more and have found sites that weren't stamp sites suddenly showing
stamps to enhance their pages. Of course, YMMV.

Sports, history, hobby pages. Some found on pages that one would not
think of seeing stamps, stamps were used to illustrate something.

Whether or not this "rings a bell", maybe it plants a seed or triggers
some mnemonic response and one starts collecting topicals. Sooner or
later, they run out of that topical and may start a new one.

You can lead a horse to water...

Tracy Barber

I have an interest in airliners and one of the magazines (or maybe
both) decorate the readers' mail pages with airliner topical stamps. I
wonder if any of those stamps pictured spark any interest in our hobby.

Dave (oddly enough, I don't collect airliner stamps)

Well, you should collect airliner stamps! No, actually, you should go for
tall ships or rutabagas on stamps. That way, there will be enough airliner
stamps for me!

I suspect in most cases like the one you mention (stamps in non-stamp
publications), the stamps are useful for design purposes, but the people
reading those particular publication are already deeply into their other
"hobbies" and don't have time or money for more.

More importantly, if they don't have the particular gene or "bug" or
whatever it that causes us collectors to droof over bits of colored paper or
old envelopes, they might enjoy the images, but they won't ever collect
stamps. The students who used to join my school stamp clubs were almost
universally "of a type" -- quiet, introspective but not necessary
introverted, non-athletic, and not the best students academically.
Unfortunately for our hobby, the same type of student also seems well-suited
to sit for hours in front of a computer to play adventure games.

It would be interesting to know if any psychological "theories of stamp
collecting" (or collecting in general) have ever been developed.

Bob

Old November 5th 03, 04:27 PM
Bob Ingraham

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:42:27 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

snip

I offered to the local newspaper, the Democrat & Chronicle, to write
for them a short weekly stamp collecting feature. For free no less! Sorry,
not interested. I can remember as a boy the Sunday newspaper had a regular
stamp feature; part "how-to" and part new issues news. Haven't seen
anything like that since.
When I lived in Hong Kong the South China Daily Post had a regular
stamp feature, sometimes several times a week.

snip

You might want to make the offer to a local weekly paper.
They pay little but you can get in more easily.
Guess what... research shows they are read
and read more than the big daily papers.

I'm reading an interesting book, *The First Casualty -- From the Crimea to
Vietnam: The War Correspondent as Hero, Propagandist, and Myth Maker*.
During the American Civil War, newspapers were so desperate for stories that
they paid telegraph operators to write for them, and it didn't really matter
if the stories were factual. In fact, these early "correspondents" were
fired in some cases if they didn't report "news" on slow days; they were
guaranteed a job if they wrote whatever came into their heads, whether or
not it had any basis in fact. Thus there were stories about Union soldiers
playing football with the heads of Confederate soldiers, and a report that
Atlanta had been captured -- a week before the battle for Atlanta had even
started. Generals were reported to have been killed when in fact they hadn't
received a scratch. One "reporter" wrote a detailed, "eye-witness" account
of a battle that had occurred miles away from him; his story, which had
little basis in fact, was applauded in London as the finest reporting of the
war.

Today (even though we recently had the debacle of the New York Times
reporter fabricating front-page stories), newspapers have the opposite
problem: there is way too much news for them to carry in limited space. They
literally don't need columns about stamps. Moreover, every story costs them
money to print, even though the copy itself might be free, and they have to
have room for ads. Combine these facts of life with an editor's conviction
that there isn't enough interest in stamps to warrant a column, and we're
sunk.

(There's another factor too, and that the overall economy: Brian Grant Duff
at The Bay Coins & Stamps is auctioning an award-winning AIDS Awareness
stamp collection put together by Blair Henshaw, who died of AIDS in 2002.
Blair was responsible for lobbying Canada Post to issues its AIDS Awareness
stamp and was he was a member of my stamp club, the B.C. Philatelic Society,
which has been meeting in Vancouver since 1919. Brian called the editor of
The Vancouver Sun to ask him if he'd run a story about the auction; two
other small papers had already done so. The Sun's editor told Brian that he
didn't have the manpower since half of their editorial staff had recently
been laid off. You can read more about Blair Henshaw on our club web page;
go to http://www.bcphilatelic.org.

I once asked both the daily and the weekly papers in Prince George, B.C., if
they would be interested in a "How to" photography column. I was teaching a
photography course at the time; I am a journalist; I was quite well known in
the community as a teacher and photographer. Their response in both cases
was a firm "No." The reason? "There's not enough interest in photography."
If that was the attitude about photography, what would their response have
been about a stamp collecting column! Laughter?

Bottom line: I don't think we can count on media support of our hobby. Show
and Tell is probably the best route. Our club picked up six new members at
VANPEX 2003 on this last weekend.

Bob

Old November 6th 03, 05:50 AM
Dave

OK, in school I played hockey (good enough to be varsity & play in
amature, semi-pro & professional). I was about in the middle academically
(after overcoming dyslexia, that was a feat!). Perhaps I was a bit
introverted at times, certainly not now. Don't like computer adventure
games (or most games for that matter).
Dave (exception or exceptional?) ;-)