More, many more 2005 Golden Dollars!

Old May 9th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default More, many more 2005 Golden Dollars!

I think the US Mint is shipping 2005 GDs exclusively to my bank! Ok,
maybe not "exclusively", however that's the impression I've been getting
lately.

In additional to the 2005 GDs I received a few weeks ago, I've since then
picked up additional 2005 GDs.

1. Last week I ended up with 25 2005 GDs from 7 regular bank dollar
rolls.

AND TALK ABOUT JACKPOT!...

2. 75 2005 GDs from 5 rolls!

Get this, out of that 5 rolls I picked up today, there were ONLY 15 SBAs!

It's very clear to me the Mint is dumping unsold supply into the market.
This cannot be from someone buying a roll and picking only one or two to
keep. And I don't see too many people buying them by the $2000 bag for
the extra money they charge for that.

Now I totally understand where Mr Koerner is coming from! Michael, you
may be getting more 02, 03 and 04 GDs though I rarely get those. I
received one 2004 this last time around. Maybe the Mint is sending 02,
03 and 04 GDs exclusively to your bank!

Barney

Old May 9th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

By "regular bank dollar rolls" can you tell us if this means hand rolled or machine
rolled?

Hand rolled is rolled by a customer and deposited or rolled by a teller from accumulated
coins.

Machine rolled is rolled by an armored car company (or perhaps a bank regional cash vault
with coin processing capability).

-Fred Shecter
http://www.sirius.com/

Old May 9th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Barney wrote in
:

[...]

I wish I had your passion for GDs, or other common coins!

You go, Barney!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

I'd certainly spend less per coin, wouldn't I?

Old May 9th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Fred Shecter" wrote in
:

By "regular bank dollar rolls" can you tell us if this means hand
rolled or machine rolled?

My apologies again, I need to be more specific. They are machine rolled
by a armored car company. Actually I'm assuming it's from a armored car
company and not from a regional cash vault with coin processing
capabilities. They only get coin shipments once every one or two weeks.
This is from Chase bank (used to be Bank One) that's located at 90th St
and Shea in Scottsdale AZ...Kind of out in front of the Fry's where I
used to work as the one hour photo guy.

Anyway, I used to get Golden Dollars at BofA and stopped a few years ago
when their supply of GDs VS SBA was only 10% GDs. Yea, that's pretty
bad...that's why I stopped. However BofA has daily shipments. What I
had to do if I wanted a box of GDs was call in the morning before their
order and it would arrive the next day.

Luckily for me, I have a wonderful teller (she works the business window)
who knows about my consumption of GDs. She always keeps a box of GDs
locked behind her for easy access for when I arrive and always another
box in the safe for when she's running out. I've asked her to always
make sure there's a box in the safe so when I come in and she's running
low or out, there will be the backup in the safe. At that point, she
orders another box for the safe. It's been working out pretty good and
the ratio of GDs VS SBAs is usually about 75% to 80% GDs. Not bad!
However it's only been this last 3 weeks I've been getting lots of 2005
GDs.

When ever I go there and she happens to have the day off, the teller has
to go to the safe to get my supply of GDs. This is what happened earlier
this week. So this tells me, there are 2005 GDs in the box locked up
behind the Business window AND 2005 GDs in the safe.

Barney
Old May 10th 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Eric Babula wrote in
1:

I wish I had your passion for GDs, or other common coins!

You go, Barney!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

I'd certainly spend less per coin, wouldn't I?

Hey Eric,

That's funny! What's interesting to me about these 2005 GDs is they have
not (as far as I know) been Minted for for the purpous of general
circulation. Maybe the Mint does things differently now when they don't
sell the numbers like they thought they would. Or it could be a way to
help "clear" their supplies before the Presidental series. I expect they
will be Minting a lot of those.

As far as the 2005 GDs and what I know of the law, I think they can only
Mint more if the demand is there. Maybe their supplies are running out
faster than they thought?

Barney
Old May 10th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

More likely that someone bought the mint bags and then either spent a bunch in your area
or sent a bunch to a relative as a gift and that person then spent them.

I don't think the mint had any 2005 GDs left over so there were none that could be shipped
off to the Federal Reserve or a coin depot.

-Fred Shecter

http://www.sirius.com/

"Barney" wrote in message
Eric Babula wrote in
1:

Old May 10th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
More likely that someone bought the mint bags and then either spent a

bunch in your area
or sent a bunch to a relative as a gift and that person then spent them.

I don't think the mint had any 2005 GDs left over so there were none that

could be shipped
off to the Federal Reserve or a coin depot.

-Fred Shecter

I'm pretty sure that it's stated in some law that they can't release those
out until certain conditions are met--and even if those were to be met
they'd still need another law authorizing the release.
IOW everything to do with the production and release of coinage is all
written as laws by Congress. Which is why you don't see the Legacy Sets
listed on the Mint's website yet or the second commemorative coin for '06
since they have not passed a law to make those yet.

http://www.sirius.com/

"Barney" wrote in message
Eric Babula wrote in
1: