Looking for Myanmar P70a and P71a

Old March 16th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Default Looking for Myanmar P70a and P71a

I am writing an article on the banknotes of the Central Bank of Myanmar and
believe I have discovered errors in the Standard Catalog of World Paper
Money.

The SCWPM lists two varieties for the 5- and 10-kyat denominations, the
first type (P70a and P71a) supposedly issued in 1996 with a chinze
watermark, and the second type (P70b and P71b) issued in 1997 with the
denomination added to the chinze watermark. The SCWPM definitely has the
first date of issuance wrong, and I strongly suspect that it's also in error
when it comes to the existence of two varieties.

The official press dated April 21, 1995, makes no mention of the
denomination being included in the watermark, but this could be a mere
oversight. It would be odd, but not inconceivable, to issue new notes with
old-style (chinze only) watermarks when the bank had begun the process of
switching to the new-style (chinze and denomination) watermarks 13 months
prior. I have not personally seen these notes without the denomination in
the watermark, nor have I been able to find anyone with such varieties in
their collections.

If there's anyone out there who has a 5- or 10-kyat note without the
denomination in the watermark, I would very much like to hear from you to
that effect.

--
Owen W. Linzmayer (IBNS member 7962)
IBNS Journal editor