PING: early copper experts - grading advice needed

Old July 26th 03, 12:50 AM
Joe Schell

Default PING: early copper experts - grading advice needed

In article ,
says...
Hi - Thanks for the great replies to my last post "Diff between wear and
soft/weak strike?"! I'm sure the advice is good, but, I think since I
have absolutely no experience grading early copper coins, and don't have
any confidence that I'll be able to tell the difference between wear and
soft strike on them, I'm wondering if you can help me out again.

Is there a book that is THE guide to grading early copper? With
Morgans, one of the best books is probably the Comprehensive Catalog and
Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars, by Leroy C. VanAllen and
George Mallis. Does anything exist like this for early copper? I know
this is not explained very well, but I have a lot of learning to do, if
I want to intelligently buy any more of these coins!

BTW - when I get that Half Cent I spoke of in my last post, I'm bringing
it to a dealer to let him tell me the grade, and hopefully have him
explain why he decides it is what he grades it to be.

TIA,

EAC puts out a guide to grading, but I think you have to be a member to
get one. A copy of "Copper Quotes by Robinson" will contain a good deal
of grading info.
ALso, try this link:

http://www.uscents.com/coppergrade/index.html

--