Current Highest Currency

Old August 31st 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Giovanni C. Pettinaro

Default Current Highest Currency

Dear All,
some time ago there was here on the newsgroup the thread wondering
which one was the highest currency currently available in the world. By
checking on the Krouse book, I can say that it is the Thai 500,000 Baht
(P106). At the current exchange rate, it is worth well over US$13,000.
In the past also US issued special $10,000 and $100,000 bills, however
they were not intended for general circulation. The same can be said for
the Canadian P32B $50,000.

Best regards to all,
Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

Pettinaro Bros. World Paper Money,
Piazza della Riscossa, 16 int. 50,
CH-6900 Lugano-Cassarate,
Canton Ticino,
Switzerland

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/pettinaro/
Old August 31st 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Darren

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:19:58 +0200, Giovanni C. Pettinaro wrote:

Dear All,
some time ago there was here on the newsgroup the thread wondering
which one was the highest currency currently available in the world. By
checking on the Krouse book, I can say that it is the Thai 500,000 Baht
(P106). At the current exchange rate, it is worth well over US$13,000.
In the past also US issued special $10,000 and $100,000 bills, however
they were not intended for general circulation. The same can be said for
the Canadian P32B $50,000.

In the interests of discussion... I have that the Fiji One Penny (1d) note
was the smallest ever, but what is the smallest current note? I suppose
from some country 'enjoying' rampant inflation.... but that aside, does
anyone have a story to tell?

Thanks
Darren
PS - I do have one
Old August 31st 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Andrew

Hello Giovanni
I think the 500,000 Baht note from Thailand should not be counted as a
circulating banknote
Reason being only available for purchase at about 2 times face value and is
not in use and probably never will be,
with only 1998 notes printed who will ever have them
Best Regards
Andrew

. ..

Old August 31st 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

Several years back Indonesia was still issuing small change notes in Sen,
that were something like 10000 to the dollar.

When I was in China a few months ago there are lots and lots of 1 Jiao(10
Fen) notes still circulating, they are worth 1¢ US. Inflation eliminated
the 1,2, and 5 Fen notes only a few years ago, but they still can be found
in circulation very occasionally. They were the ones with the truck, boat
and airplane. I was able to buy bricks of 1.000 notes of each denomination
while I was there.

Old September 1st 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen Linzmayer

Giovanni,

Thanks for pointing out this large denomination note. I hadn't noticed it
before. I'd love to see an image of same.

I'm not sure I would consider this a qualifying issue, however, since it's
a commemorative note with limited print run of 1998 pieces. Seems more like
something produced to be given as special gifts to dignitaries or sold to
the public to make money for the Bank of Thailand but never intended to
circulate.

On 8/31/06 10:19 AM, in article
, "Giovanni C. Pettinaro"

Old September 1st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen Linzmayer

Does anyone know anyone with a sample of this note? I'd love to see an image
of same.

On 8/31/06 2:25 PM, in article
, "Andrew"