High Denomination Notes

Old August 24th 06, 10:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Giovanni C. Pettinaro

Default High Denomination Notes

Dear All,
I have been reading the thread about the use of high denomination
notes in the World. I live in Switzerland and here all available
denominations are used from 10 francs up to 1000 francs, which you can
normally get at any ATM. Sometimes you can even choose what combination
of notes you wish to withdraw. The highest denomination, ie 1000 francs,
is quite common for paying for instance rents or the usual monthly
bills. :-) In the past there was a 500 note denomination, but it
finished to be not used that much, and the current series of francs does
not include it and neither will the next (which is due quite soon).
It is interesting that in many ATM machine in Switzerland you can
even directly withdraw euro notes (just 50s and 100s) or even deposit
them in automatic tellers, if you have an account in that bank. :-)
Most of the retailer do not oppose to receive high denomination
notes as a means of payment and you can even pay a taxi driver with a
1000 francs note. :-) Credit Cards are catching up here too, although I
have to say that, based on my experience, UK has had the most widespread
use of cards long before the rest of Europe.
As of the neighboring Country (Italy) which uses the Euro, the most
common denomination is by far the 50 euro notes, however with the
increase in prices, I have seen more and more the use of 100 euro notes.
The 200 denomination is less common, even rarer than the 500
denomination which is still used to settle large payments in cash, such
as during the reservation and purchase of cars for instance, or in
similar transactions. Credit Cards are also catching very quickly, but
still not as widespread as in the UK. I think that this is due to the
different banking system which chrges more expenses for every
transaction made.
As of personal cheques, they are almost not used at all in
Switzerland, whereas in Italy you may still see people using them,
although not as much as in the past.
As a dealer/collector, I always welcome the issuing of new notes,
especially those from a series as beautiful as the current Canadian one.
So, let us hope that it will be issued. :-)

Best regards to all,
Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

Pettinaro Bros. World Paper Money
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/pettinaro/
Old August 24th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"Giovanni C. Pettinaro" wrote in message
Dear All,
I have been reading the thread about the use of high denomination
notes in the World. I live in Switzerland and here all available
denominations are used from 10 francs up to 1000 francs, which you can
normally get at any ATM.

Interesting, how some nations can use large denomination notes and have
large sums of cash change hands more frequently, then places like the USA,
Britain, Germany, cash is less common. In the USA mostly credit cards or
cheques as it is a way to wrack up lots of debt and go bankrupt, just like
the USA government.

Now even fast food restaurants take your credit cards, so you can buy your
heart attack on a plate and go into debt at the same time. Quite
convenient.

Old August 24th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen Linzmayer

This thread about high-denomination notes has me curious.

What's the most valuable (at current exchange rates; not collector value)
circulating note in use today?

Off the top of my head, I remembered that Singapore has a $10,000 note,
that's worth approximately US$6300:

http://www.mas.gov.sg/masmcm/bin/pt1...s_Portrait_Ser
ies__100001.htm

Is anyone aware of a note with a higher value?

Does anyone know how common or uncommon it is to see the $10K note in use in
Singapore?

It seems odd that most governments have removed their high-denomination
notes from circulation, supposedly to thwart criminal activity, yet
Singapore continues to produce a very high value note. Why?

Old August 24th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"Owen Linzmayer" wrote in message
This thread about high-denomination notes has me curious.

What's the most valuable (at current exchange rates; not collector value)
circulating note in use today?

Off the top of my head, I remembered that Singapore has a $10,000 note,
that's worth approximately US$6300:

http://www.mas.gov.sg/masmcm/bin/pt1...s_Portrait_Ser
ies__100001.htm

Is anyone aware of a note with a higher value?

Does anyone know how common or uncommon it is to see the $10K note in use
in
Singapore?

It seems odd that most governments have removed their high-denomination
notes from circulation, supposedly to thwart criminal activity, yet
Singapore continues to produce a very high value note. Why?

Brunei has a 10,000 denomination note also that might be similarly valued to
the Singapore note.

Old August 24th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen Linzmayer

Brunei Pick 20 is the latest 10,000-ringget note from Brunei, issued in 1989
only. Not part of any more recent series, though it's considered legal
tender and "circulating" still in the country.

The Brunei Dollar is at par with the Singapore Dollar, so the two are tied.

Pictures and more info:

http://www.finance.gov.bn/tt/EDITKKW...#1989%20SERIES

Old August 25th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

and the current series of francs does
not include it and neither will the next (which is due quite soon).

Is the Swiss National Bank really going to print the notes designed by
Manuel Krebs? Personally I don't like them.

I agree with you about the new series of Canadian notes. They are
really very nice. I love the new 20 and the 100 is very nicely done
too. I wish they would hold up better; it seems once they go into
circulation they fall apart quickly.

Ciao,

Nico (a Ticino guy living in the US)

Old August 25th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Kyle Mutcher

I think the Canadian $20 is the best note issued by Canada right now. I like
the portrait of Queen Elizabeth, and the Haida canoe on the back was a great
choice. If the Bank of Canada did issue a $200 note I would hope that it
would be a terra cotta red like the intaglio printing on the 1986 $2, or the
darker red/brown that was used on the back of the 1935 $50. But I doubt
it'll ever get issued.

Kyle.

Four Corners Coin and Currency,
Winnipeg Manitoba

oups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

Heard that the idea of a C$200 note is a bad one, but answer this
question - would you rather have an unwieldly bundle of C$100 notes or
a bundle half as thick that looks less conspiculous. I think a C$200
note is a good idea, as I long suggested that the USA issue a US$200
note since, like Canada, the US$100 is the highest note in circulation.

Kyle Mutcher wrote:
I think the Canadian $20 is the best note issued by Canada right now. I like
the portrait of Queen Elizabeth, and the Haida canoe on the back was a great
choice. If the Bank of Canada did issue a $200 note I would hope that it
would be a terra cotta red like the intaglio printing on the 1986 $2, or the
darker red/brown that was used on the back of the 1935 $50. But I doubt
it'll ever get issued.

Kyle.

Four Corners Coin and Currency,
Winnipeg Manitoba

oups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

£100 notes have been made in Scotland for many years, these are the
equivalent of can$200 but I have never seen one in circulation, £50's are
seen on occasion but the highest note regularly seen circulating is the £20
note. Billy

ups.com...

Kyle Mutcher wrote:
I think the Canadian $20 is the best note issued by Canada right now. I
like
the portrait of Queen Elizabeth, and the Haida canoe on the back was a
great
choice. If the Bank of Canada did issue a $200 note I would hope that it
would be a terra cotta red like the intaglio printing on the 1986 $2, or
the
darker red/brown that was used on the back of the 1935 $50. But I doubt
it'll ever get issued.

Kyle.

Four Corners Coin and Currency,
Winnipeg Manitoba

oups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"note.boy" wrote in message
£100 notes have been made in Scotland for many years, these are the
equivalent of can$200 but I have never seen one in circulation, £50's are
seen on occasion but the highest note regularly seen circulating is the
£20 note. Billy

Made for tourists or so the saying goes.