what kind of ink would make this clog?

Old August 21st 08, 05:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

Default what kind of ink would make this clog?

Today I recieved part of an order from pear tree pens, a
sampler pack of diamine inks. I tried the jade green and it
came out looking like pond scum.

I had flushed the snorkel after intially testing it with black
pilot ink...so I figured I did not flush it properly. I do
remember the snorkel working properly when I purchased it. One
could use it like a ink filling syringe. Today, it wouldn't
work at all.

I put the pen underwater and started working the piston, black
sheets of something came out followed by some geasy stick
cranberry colored ink. This cranberry colored stuff came out
like snot from a sneezing cat.

I got the pen working again, and it works like I hear snorkels
are supposed to. BTW, it is filled with diamine orange now.

What brand of ink do you think the cranberry stuff is? It is
greasy, almost like what one would find under an automobile. It
is also very tenacious stuff.

I think it may be one of the pelikan inks...I have heard that
they dry gooey.

matthew
Old August 21st 08, 06:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Matthew wrote:

I put the pen underwater and started working the piston...

If you did that literally, you'd better take the pen apart and dry it out
posthaste. The spring will rust like *that* (and of course, the only way to
get a replacement is to buy another Snorkel...).

Check e.g. Richard Binder's site for Snorkel instructions, but in general,
never submerge the pen past the end of the section, and never draw back on
the Touchdown tube when the point is submerged. Both can get ink or water
into the filling mechanism, and that's bad news.

Brian

Old August 21st 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-08-21, Brian Ketterling wrote:
In ,
Matthew wrote:

I put the pen underwater and started working the piston...

If you did that literally, you'd better take the pen apart and dry it out
posthaste. The spring will rust like *that* (and of course, the only way to
get a replacement is to buy another Snorkel...).

Thank you Brian. I would like to say I did no such thing, but I
did. I read a scarry thing about the snorkels: they can seem
to work even if the ink sac is rotted. So I could have very
well been sucking ink into the body of the pen...yikes.

Note to self: always dissassemble and inspect ebay purchases,
even if restored.

matthew
Old August 22nd 08, 04:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

I hope it works out OK -- Snorkels are great pens. I have one that's sorted
itself out as my favorite writer.

So you put in black ink, then green, and out came green, then black... then
cranberry. I wonder if the last owner might have had Noodler's Baystate
cranberry in it? Since it has a wierd alkaline chemistry, I could imagine
it reacting with the Pilot ink, forming goo, and a clog. I don't have any,
though, so I don't know what it does when mixed with other inks.

Deirdre? Drunken Lord? You guys have some of the cranberry, don't you?

Brian

Old August 22nd 08, 02:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-08-22, Brian Ketterling wrote:
I hope it works out OK -- Snorkels are great pens. I have one that's sorted
itself out as my favorite writer.

The pen is clean and rust free. Thanks again.

matthew