A high price.

Old January 18th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Default A high price.

Don't always believe what you read in an ebay description.

These are not considered a very rare item by any experienced collector of
Scottish notes, it's partially issued and many were around when the bank
went bust and many of these are still available to collectors. I believe
that original books of these notes are in some collections, not mine. :-(

It sold for £180 which is about £50 to £80 above its true value but if the
buyer's happy with the price paid that's OK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160071797372

Here's one that's completely unissued and is less desirable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220070564749

The partially issued note has the signature of the manager William Borthwich
who did nicked all of the bank's money, yes all of it.

The small oblong stamp at left of top centre is not a rubber stamp but part
of the printing plate, an odd design feature.

If fair market value is paid for one of these partially issued notes it
would be hard to beat it for its combination of age, high grade and
historical interest. Billy

Old January 18th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

Here is another East Lothian note:

http://banknotebank.com/coin_view.aspx?id=899626

Similar in issue approach are the notes from Stornaway in the Outer
Hebrides:

http://banknotebank.com/coin_view.aspx?id=899625

Old January 18th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Both are essential for every collection of Scottish notes and they are not
expensive.

It's amazing that paper objects can still be around in high grade nearly 200
years later, collectors are lucky that they were kept as curiosities. Billy

Old January 18th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Jocknotes

Where does one get a "not expensive" Stornaway note? (Genuine question ~ as
I do not have one!) Knowing Billy he will have a consecutive pair ;-)

Old January 18th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

I got my 1823 good VF one, partially issued, from a Spink auction in 2005
for £78.42 including the buyer's premium. I didn't have one.

Also in the lot was an East Lothian 1821 £1 partially issued, in the same
grade, and a Commercial Bank 1826 £1 contemporary counterfeit in the same
grade.

All three for £235.26 and as you know getting a bargain at a Spink note
auction is very difficult.

It may have been that bidders were concentrating on the very rare notes that
were in the auction allowing "common" notes to sell lowish. Billy

. uk...

Old January 18th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"note.boy" wrote in message
I got my 1823 good VF one, partially issued, from a Spink auction in 2005
for £78.42 including the buyer's premium. I didn't have one.

Also in the lot was an East Lothian 1821 £1 partially issued, in the same
grade, and a Commercial Bank 1826 £1 contemporary counterfeit in the same
grade.

All three for £235.26 and as you know getting a bargain at a Spink note
auction is very difficult.

It may have been that bidders were concentrating on the very rare notes
that were in the auction allowing "common" notes to sell lowish. Billy

Sorry gents, I got mine for a lot less, just lurking around on fleaBay and
no one noticing. The most expensive of mine was £45 for the Stornaway note.

Old January 18th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"note.boy" wrote in message
I got my 1823 good VF one, partially issued, from a Spink auction in 2005
for £78.42 including the buyer's premium. I didn't have one.

Also in the lot was an East Lothian 1821 £1 partially issued, in the same
grade, and a Commercial Bank 1826 £1 contemporary counterfeit in the same
grade.

All three for £235.26 and as you know getting a bargain at a Spink note
auction is very difficult.

It may have been that bidders were concentrating on the very rare notes
that were in the auction allowing "common" notes to sell lowish. Billy

Sorry gents, I got mine for a lot less, just lurking around on fleaBay and
no one noticing. The most expensive of mine was £45 for the Stornaway
note.

Scottish blood will out. :-) Billy

Old January 18th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Jocknotes

I managed to pick up my EL note for £22 - although it was 1992!. (I think I
actually swapped some stamps for it!). I'll look around for a Stornaway one
~ and I now know two potential sellers! ;-)

Old January 19th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

When I look at the prices I paid for some Scottish notes ten and more years
ago I wish that I had bought everything in sight.

It's lucky that on most occasions when I couldn't decide which note to buy
from a selection of 2 or 3 I usually bought all of them, similar to the
decision taken by most females when faced with a selection of
shoes/handbags/dresses/coats etc. Billy

.uk...