Good job by USMint on March of Dimes set ...

Old May 4th 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default Good job by USMint on March of Dimes set ...

Despite a slow connection from home, I was able to quickly order the
special March of Dimes limited edition sets promptly at 9AM Pacific this
morning.

Previous attempts to order limited edition items have often required
tens of minutes for the Mint website to painstakingly crunch through the
webpages, but this time the time between clicking the "order" button and
rendering the "checkout" page was only a few seconds. They seem to have
removed the "quick checkout" option, so I had to reenter my credit card
info again, but even that wuz quick. I wasted a few more seconds
because I forgot to click the "Accept Terms" checkbox before clicking
the "checkout", but I still got the "confirm" screen a minute or so
after that.

The "confirmation" email from the Mint hit my inbox at 9:09 AM, which
I'm pretty sure is a record for this type of set. Either A) nobody
gives a rat's hindquarters about Roosevelt dimes or B) the Mint
actually has done a good job of modernizing its website for burst
activity.

Probably a combination of the two -- we'll know better when the sets
sell out -- they are still available (though on "Back Order" now) at
9:40 AM, so it looks like the site wasn't overwhelmed selling the 75,000
sets available ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old May 5th 15, 04:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

One can only hope Ken. I placed my order an hour after it became available and got the 'back ordered' response. Last year I ordered the Baseball Hall of Fame $5 proof gold commemorative, got the same response. After a few months and at least 3 messages from the mint of the delayed delivery time I got a message that I was shut out, a day after getting a new delivery date. SHM.
Old May 5th 15, 11:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,
Jud wrote:

One can only hope Ken. I placed my order an hour after it became available
and got the 'back ordered' response. Last year I ordered the Baseball Hall of
Fame $5 proof gold commemorative, got the same response. After a few months
and at least 3 messages from the mint of the delayed delivery time I got a
message that I was shut out, a day after getting a new delivery date. SHM.

I just checked the order status on the Mint website and it says
"shipped" with a tracking number. The USPS website says that
"pre-shipment information has been uploaded to USPS", but it doesn't
show a "received for shipment" scan yet.

I'm still pretty enthused by USMint 2.0 -- it looks like I may have the
sets in time for a local coin club meeting on Friday, less than five
days after placing the order! Whoop de doo!

FWIW, the "back order" status reportedly started showing up after about
20 minutes into the ordering period. No one seems to know when the
75,000 limit was reached, as the order processor seems to have
discontinued the use of the "out of stock" status. [The Mint website
still shows the sets as "back ordered" even though I'm fairly confident
that orders placed today will never be filled ...]

Old May 7th 15, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,
Ken Barr wrote:

In article ,
Jud wrote:

[snip]
I'm still pretty enthused by USMint 2.0 -- it looks like I may have the
sets in time for a local coin club meeting on Friday, less than five
days after placing the order! Whoop de doo!

FWIW, the "back order" status reportedly started showing up after about
20 minutes into the ordering period. No one seems to know when the
75,000 limit was reached, as the order processor seems to have
discontinued the use of the "out of stock" status. [The Mint website
still shows the sets as "back ordered" even though I'm fairly confident
that orders placed today will never be filled ...]

Woo Hoo! USPS tracking showed the package delivered to my local P. O.
just before midnight last night, so it was ready for pickup this
morning. I stopped in to drop off some packages just before noon, and
picked up the five March of Dimes sets ...

Less than seventy-two hours between order and package-in-hand ... quite
a change from past USMint performance! (But I still haven't received
the "confirmation email" promised within 24 hours of Monday's order, but
I'm not going to lose any sleep over that omission!)

Completed sales on eBay show most sets selling for plus/minus $90 each
in groups of five, and over $100 each as single sets. Thank you, U S
Mint -- if I can flip three sets before the credit card bill arrives,
I'll be making money on your dime (as well as your dimes!).

Oh, yeah, the sets look pretty nice, too!

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
San Jose, CA *95152 * * Coins, currency, exonumia, souvenir cards, etc.
408-272-3247 * NEXT SHOW: Santa Clara 04/17-19

So, Where are the Lincoln Rolls on usmint.gov? Johnny Doe Coins 5 March 14th 09 07:27 PM
FA: 1797 1 over 1 HC, 1796, 1798 dimes, & a bunch of capped bust dimes Barry Coins 0 April 23rd 07 12:39 PM
June was a good month for Half dimes Randy Thompson Coins 10 July 16th 06 01:28 AM
USMint mess Anita Coins 6 May 9th 05 11:03 PM
Roosevelt and the March of Dimes ISteveador Coins 19 June 18th 04 05:58 AM