Camp P.O.L-315 handstamp on 1960 Pakistan cover

Old February 1st 04, 10:59 PM
Paul Herber

Default Camp P.O.L-315 handstamp on 1960 Pakistan cover

I have a cover with a boxed CAMP P.O.L-315 marking, from Pakistan
dated 27 DEC 60.

http://www.pherber.com/pol315.jpg

I've done the usual searches with no results.
Can anyone help with this?
MTIA.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Paul Herber Systems Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
SanDriLa - SDL/MSC application for Visio http://www.sandrila.pherber.com/

Old February 2nd 04, 04:15 PM
Paul Herber

On 2 Feb 2004 08:00:49 -0800, (malcolm
hirst) wrote:

Paul Herber wrote in message well.net...
I have a cover with a boxed CAMP P.O.L-315 marking, from Pakistan
dated 27 DEC 60.

http://www.pherber.com/pol315.jpg

I've done the usual searches with no results.
Can anyone help with this?
MTIA.

Is there a return address on the back of the envelope?

Yes there is, to what lokks like a private address in Lahore.

Old February 2nd 04, 06:50 PM
Rodney

G'day Paul,

A stab in the dark, for the "good oil"
perhaps "Pakistan Oilfields Limited"

Perhaps a field exploration camp, esp as they seem to have
discovered oil the same year.

HTH

Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL) is a Pakistani Subsidiary of the Attock Oil Company Limited (AOC) and was incorporated
on November 25, 1950. The Attock Oil Company had been engaged in oil exploration and production since early part of last
century and had discovered oil at Khaur (1915), Dhulian (1936), Joyamair (1944) and Balkassar (1946) in the Potwar
Region. POL discovered oil at Karsal (1960) and Meyal (1968) in the Potwar Plateau.

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old February 3rd 04, 09:44 AM
malcolm hirst

Hi Rodney
Good thinking. Perhaps the sender was a Brit. geologist or technician
employed on the exploration writing to his friend/relative? Make
sense?
Malcolm

Old February 3rd 04, 03:41 PM
Paul Herber

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 02:50:23 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

G'day Paul,

A stab in the dark, for the "good oil"
perhaps "Pakistan Oilfields Limited"

Perhaps a field exploration camp, esp as they seem to have
discovered oil the same year.

HTH

Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL) is a Pakistani Subsidiary of the Attock Oil Company Limited (AOC) and was incorporated
on November 25, 1950. The Attock Oil Company had been engaged in oil exploration and production since early part of last
century and had discovered oil at Khaur (1915), Dhulian (1936), Joyamair (1944) and Balkassar (1946) in the Potwar
Region. POL discovered oil at Karsal (1960) and Meyal (1968) in the Potwar Plateau.

Thanks Rodney,
I think this a very likely explanation.

Old February 3rd 04, 09:27 PM
Rodney

Hi Malcolm,
Yes, that's what I thought, of course Paul may take
it further by emailing POL today which are still in existence
and he may get a reply.
The contents must have had some value, to require registering
so apparently not just a "How are you?" letter.
Rod

Old February 4th 04, 03:53 AM
L & L Matthews

Hello Folks

I was getting caught up on my emails etc when I was going through this
newsgroup and noticed the Camp P.O.L. 315 correspondence going on.

This reminded me that I too have a cover from Pakistan but with Camp P.O.L.
273. It is addressed to Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The address on the reverse is as follows :

J.J. Bellefontaine
C/O Angus Robertson Ltmited,
Waroak (?) Hydro Project,
N.W.F. Province
West Pakistan

It was sent to a mamber of the family by the same last name.

The date of the cover is February (? day unclear), 1957 but receiving cancel
address, Toronto, is February 14th.

I hope that this will add a little insight to this topic.

Happy collecting

Larry Matthews

Old February 4th 04, 02:14 PM
Rodney

G'day Larry,
Should you wish to track PakOil
there is an email link on this page
http://www.pakoil.com.pk/Aboutus1.htm

HTH

(Remove gum to reply)

Old February 9th 04, 02:08 AM
Chameleon

I'm coming in a little late on this conversation so I hope you get this. I
note that every one is thinking and talking about "P.O.L." but I note on the
envelop posted it is actually P.O. L-315 couldn't this be "Camp Post Office
#L-315" which may have nothing to do with Pakistan Oil.

. ..

wrote:

[...]

FS: Toronto Maple Leaf Programs/Yearbooks (Back Issues) J.R. Sinclair Hockey 1 May 13th 04 01:28 PM
vintage deals 1950-1969 Dohh Baseball 0 December 14th 03 09:19 PM
vintage singles 1950-1969 Dohh Baseball 0 December 2nd 03 11:28 PM
GOOD VINTAGE DEALS 50-69 Dohh Baseball 0 October 26th 03 09:51 PM
NICE VINTAGE SINGLES 50s-60s Dohh Baseball 0 September 18th 03 10:37 PM