Rowe CD-100, its got me stumped!!

Old January 12th 11, 07:52 PM
andrew96 andrew96 is offline
Junior Member

Default Rowe CD-100, its got me stumped!!

Hi
hopefully someone out there can help me! My CD100 just comes up with error 05-62, decoder board communication failure, now this is the odd bit, all the voltages to the mech board are present and correct, and if i put the whole mech and the ccc board, into a hcd-1 hideaway it all works flawlessley with no errors, but put everything in the cd100 case and the mech board just lights up with 'board error' and logs the code above in the ccc. i have even tried putting the hideaway display onto the cd100 to eliminate that!
i am running out of deas, i have even tried using 2 different cables for the rowelink so it illiminated crosstalk in the wiring.

it seems odd everything works well when in the hideaway box, but not in the cd100 box using all the same bits!

does anyone know of anything i have missed?
this rather odd fault has aparently been plaguing this machine for years, it is in fact the reason on how i got it as the machines operator finally gave in as could not repair it. I can see why they did not want to get rid its in fantastic condition!

so to recap, hideaway all working, take complete cd mech(inc mech board) ccc board and display board, and power supply and put them into the CD100 and this error appears and eventually after so many tries box goes into out of order mode! there is only the amplifier that i havent changed over as thats not connected in either unit to help the faultfinding! HELP!!!!

cheers
Andrew

Last edited by andrew96 : January 12th 11 at 09:08 PM.
Old January 12th 11, 10:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

--
andrew96

Check the connectors. The pins in these connectors (either power or
data) can bend and break or make bad connection causing all sorts of
problems

You might also want to add a thicker earth wire from the power supply
to the mech control - especially if you are using a CDM12 player.

We had to do this. We simply replaced all wires from the power supply
to the switch to the CCC and from the CCC to the mech control with a
heavier gauge.

Old January 13th 11, 05:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

kreed wrote:
On Jan 13, 5:52 am, andrew96
wrote:
[...]

And check that the voltages are correct at the computer! You may have a
problem with the service switch or power switch...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old January 13th 11, 11:47 AM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson View Post
kreed wrote:
On Jan 13, 5:52 am, andrew96
wrote:
[...]

Hello Andrew,

I would try that hidaway PSU in the jukebox, it could be that the voltages on the jukebox psu are breaking down under load.
I usually test the psu's with a 12 volt and 24 low wattage lamps whilst messuring the voltages.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old January 13th 11, 01:43 PM
andrew96 andrew96 is offline
Junior Member

Hi everyone

first of all thankyou to you all that have taken the time and trouble to reply, especially Kreed, John and Alan.

It turns out you was all right! i had already changed the power supply (thanks John for the sugestion) checked the 28v ac from the psu and it was correct (P10 in mech conector), BUT once the box had been on a while i noticed the 28v ac transformer on the bottom rail of the mech was cold!, so measured the volts on the transformer supply wires and indeed there was no 28v ac across it! i next studdied the manual to find the 28v ac return was indeed the earth pin on connector P7 pin 4, to my suprise there was no earth continuity but the lights on the mech board were working hence did not suspect this!, tracing it back it goes to the CCC board conector P2 and loops to the pain psu through P1, on real close inspection by removing the socket conectors i discovered a thin lack layer of carbon over the contact area of the socket! this was on the earth to the mech board, Once the socket pin was replaced the jukebox started working properly again!

In the past with conector problems it has either been obvious failure has occured by big brown burn marks, or a moving of plugs gets things working again, but on this box the conector had been on off many times changing the ccc board and still there was no conection at all, normally the socket being on off a few times cleans the conector enough for it to start working again, but not this time!

I think i will be taking on Kreed's sugestion and fitting a extra earth wire as this takes the strain from all the supply lines return!

just one other question, i have managed to find updated firmware for the ccc board (v4.3 mine was v2.1) but i cannot find anywhere on the net the mech updated version, my mech currently has v2.1 and uses the CDM3 laser on both cd100 and the hideaway, anyone know of the latest version that will work and where i can download the file from? as far as i understand v2.4 for the mech is the latest?? or is there later?

many thanks again to everyone that helped

Andrew
Old January 13th 11, 02:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jan 13, 3:19*pm, John Robertson wrote:
kreed wrote:
On Jan 13, 5:52 am, andrew96
wrote:
[...]

* * (Please post followups or tech enquiries to the newsgroup)
* John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
* Call (604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
* * * * * * * * * * *www.flippers.com
* * * *"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

Have had power switches fail - even in R-84 types. AS they cost a
fortune to buy from ROWE, we use a relay instead. (I notice that with
the berklee on - Rowe did this same thing too).

Same idea, switch the relay so that when the power switch is in the
OFF position, the relay energises,cutting off the supply rails to the
juke.

If doing this, triple check that any wiring done is correct, and
measure it at the connectors before connecting boards
IF you put the 28 AC on the 8v supply you could do a lot of damage.

Another old favourite is dry joints on the boards.

While its a long shot in this case, it is possible that as the CCC as
it does not sit vertically in a hideaway, like in the juke, the weight
of the wiring pulling sideways on the header, for example may move in
such a way that the joint goes bad and there is no power getting to
it.

Also, to the OP, another real long shot might be something to do with
the title page arrangement - in that the Hideaway doesnt have this.

A short circuit in this area can wipe out the 28vdc supply, but if you
have tried both display boards, then it isnt that

Old January 13th 11, 04:43 PM
andrew96 andrew96 is offline
Junior Member

Hi Kreed (john)

many thanks for the extra infomation, the relay idea is worth thinking about for sure!

i did find out what the problem was today and have posted it above, but to recap it was a earth connection on the plug that supplys 0v from the CCC board to the mech board! was strange as leds on the mech board all showed it was ok! (well apart from the board error light) everything else lit as it should! but as this is the return for all supply lines it carrys all current frm all supplies, no wonder the pin arced!

Just one other question, i have managed to find updated firmware for the ccc board (v4.3 mine was v2.1) but i cannot find anywhere on the net the mech updated version, my mech currently has v2.1 and uses the CDM3 laser on both cd100 and the hideaway, anyone know of the latest version that will work and where i can download the file from? as far as i understand v2.4 for the mech is the latest?? or is there later? would it be better to post his question in a new post?

Is there anywhere in the UK i can get the CDM12 mod kit? my CDM3 is currently working great but wondered if there was anywhere to get the new version?

many thanks again to everyone that helped

Andrew

Last edited by andrew96 : January 13th 11 at 05:01 PM.
Old January 14th 11, 01:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jan 14, 2:43*am, andrew96
wrote:
[...]

They were about $1400 AU from the AMI distributor when they were last
sold in Australia

If you really need one I have several here that had very little use
due to the changeover to digital, though
am in Australia, but am happy to ship.

Old January 14th 11, 01:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jan 14, 2:43*am, andrew96
wrote:
[...]

2.4 is the latest that I have seen. These players disappeared from
production about 1992-3 or so,
and I doubt that much more updating was done on them after then except
to fix obvious bugs.

4.3 is the latest CCC ROM that i have seen and that was about 2005 I
obtained it.

Old January 14th 11, 10:34 AM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed View Post
On Jan 14, 2:43*am, andrew96
wrote:
[...]

If the CDM3 is working I would leave well alone.

Being as you live in the UK I would check out www.jukeboxparts.co.uk Leon Reader who owns this site is fair and honest. Up in the North East is a company called Herondata, he used to sell CDM3, CDM4, CDM12 etc they were used but garanteed working (sorry re his details).

If you need any work on your boards in the future please feel free to contact me.

Regards
Alan Hood (ami-man)
Games Unlimited & Datex Systems
Units 4 & 5 Lion Park