Slow motor start seeburg DS160

Old March 23rd 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Default Slow motor start seeburg DS160

I am working on a friends Seeburg DS160 and have it working now BUT,
when I let it sit overnight and let it get cold, the motor starts very
slow on the first selection... and the record evens plays the song slow
at first. It usually gets up to speed by the end of the first song and
is ok after that. I have oiled the motor but it didnt seem to make any
difference. My feeling is that it is gummed up.

So How would you un-gum a motor?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Old March 23rd 06, 12:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

The problem *can* be caused by a gummed-up upper thrust bearing, so before you
do any work on the motor, remove the thrust bearing located at the TOP of the
carriage assembly (four screws hold it in place). Be careful that you don't
lose the small ball bearing that is contained in the top of the thrust
bearing. Clean the inside of the bearing surface and the worm gear shaft that
rides in the bearing. That could likely resolve the issue; if not, read on.

It is easiest if you remove the motor from the carriage assembly; note the
color-code of the four wires soldered to the bakelite terminal board. If you
look at each end of the motor (the "bell"), you'll see a thin line where the
bell joints the main section of the motor frame. Scribe a light alignment
mark across the joint line so you can re-assemble the motor in the proper
orientation.

Remove the four screws and nuts that hold the motor together. Use a small
screwdriver to pry the top bell (shaft end) off the motor frame. Pull the
bell off the end; the motor shaft & armature will probably come out with the
bell.

Clean the bearings in each bell, and remove any varnish (dried oil) deposits
on the motor shaft. Lubricate each shaft lightly with electric motor oil and
re-assemble the armature and top bell. Replace the four screws and tighten
the nuts.

You should notice a significant difference in ease of rotation of the motor
shaft. Once you're satisfied, replace the motor and re-connect the wires.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old March 25th 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Have you tried putting oil on the shaft where it comes out the top of the
motor?
Putting oil in the oil tubes usually won't cure a gummed up upper
bearing....

oups.com...