collection software

Old October 31st 04, 05:12 AM
Jen Badham

Default collection software

In the interests of starting discussions, I thought I'd post about software.
What software do people use to manage their collection and how good is it?

I originally built an Access database and that worked well enough and,
building it myself meant I could include what I wanted. I enter the common
card set as a single item, but individually itemise the various chase cards,
promos etc. However, I recently switched to a commercial software package
(Collectorz) for my comics because my comics Access database had been
through several Access upgrades and no longer worked cleanly, and didn't
have all the features that a commercial package gives and I couldn't be
bothered writing.

Collectorz is actually really flexible with field names and list contents
etc. I ended up starting a new database for my cards, statues and other
miscellanous items. With some minor reworking, it actually does really well.
The biggest problem is that there are lots of extra data items that are
really irrelevant for cards and are not removable, but it's still half the
size of my old Access database and includes much more info. The othe problem
arises from the fact that I have the two collections (ie comics, everything
else) and have quite different setups for each. The software recognises the
correct field names for each, but defaults to the most recently used
display, so I often have to redo the display columns and sort order when I
open the other collection.

Jen

Old October 31st 04, 01:20 PM
Lynne Stewart

Well, since we're trying to chat more and advert less, I won't go into too
much details, but decided the only way to get a database that suited me was
to make my own
I have an excel version and an online version. Truley not sure how many
people use the online version, but we thought it was handy as I could update
it when I found new stuff. Doesn't have pictures though. Shoot, the CD is up
to TWO CD's, I can't iamgine the size I'd need for a website fully pictured

I just couldnt find anything that suited the specific needs a collector,
like me, who specializes so much in one area and with all the oddball stuff
out there.
Wanna guess how many pages a complete checklist of all Star Trek cards is
when printed? Using an arial 10 font

Lynne Stewart http://www.jklm.net/
KLM Enterprises, Inc. Home of the Trek Card Geek!

***
Ask about the Card Collective Collector's Edition-a Star Trek cards
CDROM-images, info, checklists.
Now with free promos and wrapper reward card!!!

Old October 31st 04, 02:54 PM
Jon Doyle

I too built my own access database for my art collection. . . it seems
to work ok, but is cumbersome.

Right now I am using excel for my card stuff, but it feels a bit limited
to me as well, and for some reason it seems as though occassionally the
sorting screws up some of the data in the rows.

I have MySQL now on my webserver, and am thinking about writing a PHP
based front end to a MySQL database table I'd build for my cards. . .
the only thing that bothers me is having that data out on a webserver
somewhere. . . I'd have to write something to dump the data to a file so
I could back it up somewhere.

Old October 31st 04, 02:58 PM
Lynne Stewart

Depending on how ytou access the nets (broadband is best), you can actually
set up a schedual to back up the files to your home machine each night. We
used to back up the website that way, so I had a clean daily and weekly copy
of the sites we host. Not so possible with DIAL UP (arrrgghhh) but if it
were's too many files, you could set up a ftp transfer...

Old October 31st 04, 05:53 PM
Paul B.

I don't catalogue my entire collection, but I do keep my wants list on my
Handspring Visor PDA - I found a program called 'List' on a PDA shareware
site somewhere (sorry, can't remember which one) which is pretty much a free
form database utility.

At the moment I only have my Promo wants on there, but eventually I'll set
up a separate base or my chase wants and probably my spare 'Haves' too!
Au Res.,
Paul

--
http://www.efbenson.co.uk/
http://www.paulbines.co.uk

Old October 31st 04, 10:51 PM
Jen Badham

Lynne - I only do comics related cards (but also phonecards, statues etc)
but that complete checklist of ST cards would be why i enter the common set
as a single item, otherwise the whole thing quickly became unmanageable
Does Excel mean you have to enter some of the information multiple times
because it is not relational, or do you have a system that gets round that
problem? Jen

Old October 31st 04, 11:11 PM
Lynne Stewart

Well, I've considered changing the common sets to one item, at least for the
printed chekclist, which is pretty unmanagable. But, I guess, it's hard to
let go of theold ideas where people needed to know each single card
And some of my favorite collector's still pack buy
As to the last sentance, ya lost me I've entered all the info, so all the
user has to do is mark have or leave it blank so for them there's o problem,
for me...well, it would be alot more tedious then it is without the wonder
Jeff Allender!!!!

Lynne