Hingeless Kiribati pages? Also, US Navy officials pages

Old May 30th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

Default Hingeless Kiribati pages? Also, US Navy officials pages

I was hoping Lindner would offer a T-album (hingeless) for Kiribati, but
it looks like I am out of luck. From what I have seen, Lindner's "T"
line is the Rolls Royce of album pages -- I love them, and when I finally
make measurements of stamps in my topics (penguins and Mustelidae) I will
try to design a T-Blank album for each.

I know a hingeless set of pages is available (at a pretty steep price)
from Palo Albums, but I don't consider that as high-quality as Lindner.

Anyone know of a high-quality hingeless album for Kiribati?

This may be part of the same question. I collect US Navy Department
officials (as I can afford them, which means "slowly"). Lindner devotes
one page to them in the US T-album. I would like one for proofs, one for
specimens, one for mint ultramarine, one for used ultramarine, one for
mint dull blue, and one for used dull blue -- six in all. Anyone know of
a way to get six of the same page from Lindner? The only album
manufacturer I have found with this sort of flexibility is -- again --
Palo.

Thanks,

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old May 30th 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 30 May 2008 04:02:32 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

I was hoping Lindner would offer a T-album (hingeless) for Kiribati

I am also interested in one more kind of album page.

In my dream, it would be Lindner T-Blank style (lift-away acetate page
hinged to a paperboard backing) with a pocket or acetate fold near the
top (say, 20% down the page) to hold the stamp/block/whatever. There
would be a black border around the stamp pocket on the paper, or the user
could add it. And below, there would be a larger pocket sized to hold a
cert. This seems wonderful for proper display of individual pricey items.

Again, guidance? I'm trying to upgrade the appearance of all my "core"
collections. Some are much more difficult to find solutions for than
others (Prexie sheets were easy!) Someone once asked, rhetorically,
"What would you rather spend your money on: stamps or albums?" I guess
he thought the obvious answer was the former. I'm ready now for the
latter.

If you have a roll-your-own solution that would be appropriate for
someone such as I with no artistic skills (but an image editing program,
perhaps), let me know, please. If I could post a survey, I would: how do
you store and display your dearest items?

Addendum: I have found that Subway offers clear stock pages sized for six
(?) booklets -- one in vertical-format, one in horizontal -- that would
work decently for display of my worldwide booklets. I think they are
under the G&K (in-house) brand. Does anyone have recommendations,
warnings, or alternatives?

Old May 30th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 30 May 2008 04:02:32 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

when I
finally make measurements of stamps in my topics (penguins and
Mustelidae) I will try to design a T-Blank album for each.

No reason to stop responding to my own messages now!

Does any general catalog list dimensions of the stamps it catalogs? That
seems like *crucial* information, but Scott doesn't care, and its printed
images aren't to scale. It's absurd that I have to find prepared albums
to measure -- or buy the stamps themselves -- just to find out how big
they are! There's no reason I couldn't be laying out my T-Blank pages on
a rainy day well before all my topical stamps are purchased. I could
design backing sheets (forget what Lindner calls them) printed with dark
borders, information on the issues, gathered research, trivia, and what
have you -- even images of the stamps -- in any desktop publishing
program -- if I just knew in advance the right size to allot.

I consider this negligence one of the weakest points of the Scott
catalogue. Who does not neglect this?

Old May 30th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi Joshua,

You have not mentioned it but have you looked at www.stampalbums.com
? I have a friend who uses these pages almost exclusively. The pages
are made using Adobe Pagemaker which is costly. However, if you have
Pagemaker, or have access to it, you can modify the pages to suit your
needs ( you can download the Pagemaker or PDF file for a country ).

Does any general catalog list dimensions of the stamps it catalogs?

Other than the Scott's random sizing information, I don't know of any
catalog that does list sizes, even the specialized catalogs trhat I
use. For the countries listing new issues on the WNS site
http://www.wnsstamps.ch/en/ each stamp size is given. However, the
information is sketchy dependent on how often the list is updated.
Issues are listed since the country registered with WNS.

I use only blank pages. As I get new issues I will store them on
Vario stock pages until I have what I wish to mount. I then layout
the page and cut the mounts and mount the stamps. I guess with the
Lindner pages you do not have to cut, or buy, mounts which is an
advantage.

The majority of collectors use 'standard' albums so size is not an
issue. However, for those of us that make and.or use custom or blank
pages it is a problem. Now that collectors are using computers to
create album pages maybe the information will be forthcoming.

Anyways, that is some of my ramblings on the issue.

Jerry B

Old May 30th 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 30 May 2008 01:41:12 -0700, jerrybemail-rcsd wrote:

Hi Joshua,

You have not mentioned it but have you looked at www.stampalbums.com ?
[...]

Thank you.

As far as the link you provided, in the spirit of never doing anything
halfway, I have *all* of Bill Steiner's pages (stampalbums.com) printed
out, on 110# card, through the year 2000. I have a worldwide collection
"in the background", after all. Printing costs were in the thousands,
with binder costs to match. They take up so much room, you wouldn't
believe.

But for things I really want to specialize in, I would like luxurious
hingeless albums. I suppose I could take Steiner's pages and a weekend
and chop Hawid mounts to fill all the spaces. But I would rather
not. :-)

With the Lindner (Rolls Royce, as I said) pages, no, you never have to
cut or buy mounts, but there's a trade-off, as the pages are several
dollars *apiece*.

By "standard" albums you mean "please hinge here" albums (such as Scott
International and Steiner's), as opposed to hingeless albums? Yes, I
suppose many collectors do use them. The year that Scott adds sizes for
all the stamps is the year I buy my next set of catalogues (hint, hint,
to Amos representatives lurking.)

Thanks for your response.

2x2 Pages sgt23 Coins 0 March 5th 08 07:49 AM
Hingeless pages for 19th Century Great Britain? Dan General Discussion 0 November 20th 06 05:49 PM
Ebay pages joe Coins 2 September 14th 05 02:40 AM
PNC Albums pages? Steverd General Discussion 0 August 28th 04 11:06 PM
yellowing of pages Bernard Peek Books 4 July 13th 03 05:32 PM