Ebay changes... discuss?

Old February 1st 08, 03:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Default Ebay changes... discuss?

Yeah; the time to compete would have been when they first started.
Also, they have experts they hire to build to specs. To have that,
I'd need a LOT of bucks to start up as those guys are probably paid
30k up to Start (and those would probably be not so great ones; young
kids at their first job - probably 50k for the better ones and more
for the genius types). I don't have that kind of capital.

If I had money to burn, I don't know if I'd want the headache of that
either. I'd want something not done before.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:00:45 GMT, "Glenn \(SBfan2000\)"
wrote:

Perhaps you should open a site to compete with ebay. With all ebays rules
and the skyrocketing of fees I think they could be replaced pretty easy if
you could keep fees low. Problem with this is that they are so big it would
be hard to compete. Your talking long term thing here. It could take 5
years or more before you actually got to the point of replacing them. I
can't say I haven't thought of it but I don't have the Money to servive
those initail startup years!

Glenn

"Sue H" wrote in message
.. .
Blue Rays and HD will replace regular DVD's so I'd not go for those
... I also think eventually, we'll be like we are in the paperless
society. In other words, we download MP3's etc pretty soon the same
will be for movies say on a Tivo type system to stay infinity. They
now sell terrabyte systems for PC's too and i think it'll beceom
download games MORE than PC gaming. Every year, there are less and
less PC games in the stores. Just like LPs and Beta, Cassettes, and 8
tracks... the ultimate would be HD Downloads of films. I think that's
the future. SO, if you do this, don't do regulars at least. Do the
high quality ones. That's what people want. Also, it's hard to
compete with Wal-Mart, Target and major manufacturer's on price of
those.

Autographs are downhill as nobody signs and the ones that do charge
quite a bit, so you would probably have a couple grand needed to start
a few private signings. There's always a trust issue that hurts the
business all across the board. It's hard to do autographs unless you
are like a store which has an actual storefront too; those seem to be
the highest money makers. Other businesses I dno't know. I think
AutographPros might do ok (have to ask them) but they have a high
priced supply and very specialized so have probably a return base.
There are a TON of people selling graphs and people usually turn to
Ebay because everyone wants it cheap. But now, event the forgeries
will be high because the fees are really higher.

You're really good with PC's I know, and I think you'd be able to
"keep up with technology". That might be a good one, if you can get
the word out and specialize in something. I don't know much about that
area though. One thing that sucks though about technology areas, is
if you overstock and can't sell, you could be stuck with it as
technology grows so fast and people want the newest/latest/greatest
things.

I saw yesterday even people selling vintage watches (Someone mentioned
they worked at Swatch, I had one and then remembered someone said they
were collectible. Since I don't wear watches and have three, I
thought maybe to sell them as one is collectible and two are main
names. I found a few dealers in vintage watches! There's so many
things!

A few good companies that seem to make a lot are things like
Replacements Ltd. which sells specific China patterns. I hear their
business does well. Also, if you could come up with someting UNIQUE
like a craft, T-shirt Logo, pet rock idea, something creative, it
could take off! I think you can make a crapload of money on that.
T-shirts are always good because everyone wears them, they are very
cheap to buy in bulk, and you can design them to appeal to anyone.

I don't know what I'd do. I once thought about graphs. Then just a
store to sell my crap I don't want. Maybe, I could open a virtual
flea market .... now that's an idea.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:21:03 GMT, "Glenn \(SBfan2000\)"
wrote:

Its nice to have I'll admit. I rent mine so I do pay for it but I have
like
7 or so websites so I have to have the space whether its a business or
not.
The fee I'm currently paying includes a shopping cart but I've never used
it. My bigger concen at this point is what I'm going to sell.

Since I collect DVD's that was the first thing I thought of. A couple of
problems though. I would probably be to tempted to send much of the
profits
on expanding my collection sine I could get them at wholesale costs. Plus
DVD's and Bluray are what 15-30$ a pop? Lots of overhead and each item
brings a relatively low profit. Only saver here might be also selling
bluray players and other hardware on top of the discs?

Then I thought about autographs. But I'm not in a position to obtain
autographs in person to then sell. That's really the only way I'd want to
do it because in-person is the only way I could make sure they are
authentic. I'm an honest guy and don't want to risk selling something as
authentic when I'm not sure. On top of that I would still have that
problem
of wanting to add to my collection instead of parting with them.

Now I'm thinking computer hardware. I'm huge into computers and while I
would likely buy stuff for myself from time to time it wouldn't really be
problem because I only build myself a new computer about once every two
years and not more than that. Plus I'm overdue (currently computer built
April 05) to build one so that could be some of the first purchases I
make.
Plus could right it off as business expense. :-) Doing this I wouldn't
be
constantly tempted to spend profits on the very thing I'm selling. Plus
they are higher ticket items so each item sold has the potention for
higher
profit which makes the fees and the time involved more worth it.

Anyway, I can't do anything for several months because I'm going back to
"working" at a christian youth camp in march and won't be done there until
probably august. Then I'll have to decide if the business is a go ahead
or
if I'm going to persue a couple other options. ;-)

Glenn

"Sue H" wrote in message
I looked into that as well. Visa/Mastercard does charge and one other
thing to consider are State taxes you have to pay if you sell via a
website. (At least in your state). You'd have to figure that out but
I think there were some "shops" you could buy as packages, and what it
does is give you the Pay Pal ability, the Tax info (how to do it). and
the whole shopping cart system etc. You will pay quite a bit but
really, any business you'll have overhead right? It's a one time cost
for the software and most of them have multi CSS for you to use where
you can change periodically if you want. So that's nice. However,
some domains (if not all) will charge MORE for businesses? I looked
into one before and I forget but I think like 300 a year or something
like that. Some on here have businesses...

What would be ideal is to have my own server; a dream I've always had.
However, the ability to maintain it is beyone me. But imagine having
unlimited space! I could have a business, my Star Wars site, my
family site, a blog, and any other sites I want on there (giving my
son free access for his side business or whatever). Man, you could do
anything! Have two businesses even... great stuff.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:48:07 GMT, "Glenn \(SBfan2000\)"
wrote:

I know that probably your biggest overhead is getting stock, thats true
in
most business ventures but I'm takking about having %20 in just fees to
paypal and ebay, that would be on top of the costs of opening the
business
and having stock. I'm thinking I may need to look at ways to accept
payment
other than paypal. I have my own webserver so I could setup my own
website
to accept credit cards. I wold just need to see what MC and Visa
charge.

I quit my job last march because I was just about ready to kill either
myself or my boss. Been doing volunteer work ever since (much happier
for
it too) but at some point, probably before the end of the year I'm going
have to do something for an income.

Glenn

"Max" wrote in message

"Glenn (SBfan2000)" wrote in message
I recently got yelled at via email by a buyer that was upset because I
sent him an email asking how he was planning on paying. It had been 7
days since autcion close and no paypal payment and no communication as
"hey I'm sending you a money order." I just wanted to know if he was
paying via paypal or if he had sent a money order. He went on and on
about how it was way to early for me to be "demanding payment."

I have been looking at starting a full time e-bay business but I may
have
to reconsider. By the time you get through with ebay fees and then
paypal fees you are going to have %15-20 taken, thats nuts.

Glenn

Glenn,

That's how you start. That 15 to 20% buys stock and all the other
little
bits you will need. eBay is a great starting point for any business,
but
you do have to go elsewhere as well. Depending on what you are
planning
on doing there is Amazon your own website bought with the profit from
ebay
toy fairs shows whatever. You always have to look to expand finding
better suppliers cheaper delivery methods. Think about it I started
last
April and I launched my first website earlier this month and I have a
substantial amount of stock. in March I will be doing 2 shows and
then
in
May I'm hoping my second website will be launching. I'm doing all
this
whilst working a full time job. Go for it. As someone who has worked
for
someone else all my life doing my own thing is worth the reward.

If you decide to go for it, Good luck

Max