US govt. food stamps/coupons illegal to buy and sell?

Old November 18th 05, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default US govt. food stamps/coupons illegal to buy and sell?

At one time I believe that US govt. food stamps/coupons were illegal to
own unless you
were the person they were issued to. Wouldn't they also be illegal to
sell in an auction?

I'm not sure what the law is these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Food-Stamps-US-D...cm dZViewItem

Old November 18th 05, 04:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"stonej" wrote in
oups.com:

At one time I believe that US govt. food stamps/coupons were
illegal to own unless you
were the person they were issued to. Wouldn't they also be
illegal to sell in an auction?

I'm not sure what the law is these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Food-Stamps-US-D...od-coupons-Val
ue_W0QQitemZ8354785033QQcategoryZ3420QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

They do provide the disclaimer:
"This item is being sold as a HISTORICAL COLLECTIBLE item ONLY and is
not to be used to buy food."

Not sure about the law, though. This might not go over too well, if the
gov't finds out.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old November 18th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I think they are trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility
of what the buyer might do with them but I doubt it would
hold up legally if it is illegal to sell these.

Old November 18th 05, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 18 Nov 2005 16:34:11 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

"stonej" wrote in
roups.com:

At one time I believe that US govt. food stamps/coupons were
illegal to own unless you
were the person they were issued to. Wouldn't they also be
illegal to sell in an auction?

I'm not sure what the law is these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Food-Stamps-US-D...od-coupons-Val
ue_W0QQitemZ8354785033QQcategoryZ3420QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

They do provide the disclaimer:
"This item is being sold as a HISTORICAL COLLECTIBLE item ONLY and is
not to be used to buy food."

Not sure about the law, though. This might not go over too well, if the
gov't finds out.

My guess, which is worth what you are paying for it, is that it would
be OK to sell since the government no longer uses the paper food
stamps. To the best of my knowledge these have been replaced with a
debit card that can only be used to purchase stuff you could buy
before with food stamps and it's automaticlly refilled each month.
So, if they don't use the paper food stamps they should be OK to sell
as a historical collectible.
Cliff

Old November 18th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

stonej wrote:
I think they are trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility
of what the buyer might do with them but I doubt it would
hold up legally if it is illegal to sell these.

I don't think they use actual food stamps around where I live any more.
I think they get debit cards.
Old November 18th 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
At one time I believe that US govt. food stamps/coupons were illegal to
own unless you
were the person they were issued to. Wouldn't they also be illegal to
sell in an auction?

I'm not sure what the law is these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Food-Stamps-US-D...cm dZViewItem

They are illegal to buy and sell, but I see them on sale on eBay from time
to time. In addition it is illegal to buy and sell coins or monetary
instruments from Cuba, North Korea etc, but you still can buy and sell them.

The US government makes laws that are impractical to enforce, so they
probably shouldn't bother making some of them.

Old November 19th 05, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
At one time I believe that US govt. food stamps/coupons were illegal to
own unless you
were the person they were issued to. Wouldn't they also be illegal to
sell in an auction?

I'm not sure what the law is these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Food-Stamps-US-D...cm dZViewItem

I think you are right. However it is also illegal to sell cigarettes on
eBay, but people just claim that the cigarettes are part of a collectable
product, i.e. the Camel tins, and they can sell the tins, which contain
cigaretes "not for consumption."
Someone would be pretty stupid to pay $11.50 for $9.00 worth of food stamps
and then try to use them to buy food.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think food stamps are used anymore.
Doesn't the government give people a DEBIT CARD with their food money on it?

Jonathan_ATC

Old November 19th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Merchants used to have to redeem their food stamps taken in
transactions through commercial banks & it is many years since I've
seen a pile of food stamps in the teller or cash area of a bank (and I
spend about 17 - 20 days a month auditing banks). I am pretty certain
that they are no longer issued.

I know that the Federal/ State WIC food program is on debit cards here
in Illinois.

oly

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
oups.com...