quarter

Old February 24th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default quarter

i just saw a virgin islands quarter. it is my favorite and actually the only
state quarter design i truly like. it has a sparseness and economy of design
that works well. uncluttered, unfettered by background noise and really
representative of that part of the world, it looks like the where it's from.
it really comes across because it doesn't make one think of the other state
quarter from that area.
using it with that crappy, outdated and useless obverse with the spaghetti
hair, it manages to out shine the others by it's simple elegance.
ymmv, i would like to hear YOUR fave and why.
anyone seen james?
Old February 25th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
i just saw a virgin islands quarter. it is my favorite and actually the
only
state quarter design i truly like. it has a sparseness and economy of
design
that works well. uncluttered, unfettered by background noise and really
representative of that part of the world, it looks like the where it's
from.
it really comes across because it doesn't make one think of the other
state
quarter from that area.
using it with that crappy, outdated and useless obverse with the spaghetti
hair, it manages to out shine the others by it's simple elegance.
ymmv, i would like to hear YOUR fave and why.
anyone seen james?

I've been on forced furlough. I'll spare you the gory details and just say
that my computer had a major coronary Sunday evening, and I'm just now
finishing up a reformat. I've done reformats before, but this one was just
plain evil, for a variety of reasons.

That said, I'm a sucker for sailing ships, so Virginia gets my vote. My
classic commen halves that have ships are displayed ship side up, no matter
what might be on the other side. I'm also a sucker for old-timey early
American scenes, and the Vermont sugaring sure says "folks" to me.

You're right, the Washington portrait leaves a lot to desire.

James the Resurrector of Computers
'with a little help from my friends'

Old February 25th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

wrote in message
[...]

The Connecticut quarter is among my favorites, being well designed and quite
attractive.
It looks particularly nice in a cameo proof.
Many of the designs of the state quarters left much to be desired, the worst
being Wyoming.
I seem to recall reading in Coin World that the quarter's obverse is going back
to the original Flanagan design in 2010.

Old February 25th 10, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

do you need any pc parts? i have muchly and ask only for shipping costs.
i can give you a working servicable machine. i'm out of monitors but i have
all the rest. computers propogate somehow in my place, so please, tell me what
you need.
i don't wish to be presumptious, but i will help a friend gladly. this culls
the herd and answer the call of need. the god of pc's, dorknightus, offers his
aid, ignore the pistol i hold to his temple.
i'm sure you have good backup, but if you need a hard drive or two, please
take them away. i reccomend norton's ghost for the software and that too is
easy to find in your tool bag.
i have the ship bug also, and aircraft. i even build model kits. used to be
teased by people who call it kid's stuff, but the truth is it's a hobby for
old men now. children have too much else. pity, that...... if there is ship
model you fancy, send me the kit and i will build it.
i'm converting a large scale of everyone's favorite wreck to it's sister which
also was a sad story. the britannic was converted to a hospital ship when she
was mined in the dardenells (sp) during ww1. it has great colors, white, huge
red crosses etc. she also had extra cabins built forward from a former
promenade deck. plastic stock and patience required.
did you like the flaubert? he is perfect for depression and pain.
so feel free to ask. help this ratpacker find his spare roo.
Old February 25th 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Scurvy Dog" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

the way back 32? or the spag head crapola?
Old February 25th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, your offer is much appreciated, but I've got things under control.
It was a software problem, very bizarre. Two 30-mile round trips to the
computer store that built this machine and time off for lunch and dinner as
deductible time, I've spent from 7a until a half hour ago messing with this
thing, and that's just today. Monday and Tuesday were pretty bad as well.
I feel like the owner of a wind-up Edison cylinder phonograph in the age of
Stereo LPs.

James the Broken Record
'today's kids don't really know what that means'

Old February 25th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

wrote in message
In article , "Scurvy Dog"

wrote in message
[...]

By the original Flanagan design I meant the pre-spaghetti hair style.
IIRC it will be slightly modified from the 1932 design, being slightly reduced
in size.

Old February 25th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

I feel like the owner of a wind-up Edison cylinder phonograph in the age
of Stereo LPs.

James the Broken Record
'today's kids don't really know what that means'

Just tell them "It's an analog method for looping from an older disk
format."

- mazorj the Steampunk Explicator

Old February 25th 10, 05:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall

Of the territorial quarter desings, I like the Puerto Rico quarter although
I've yet to find any but the DC quarter.

And for the state quarters, I like the Nevada best followed closely by the
Colorado, Arizona and the Rhode Island. I also liked the enlarged design
for the Mississippi quarter but it lost quite a bit in the translation to
the small area of the quarter to the point where it is difficult if not
impossible to tell what it actually is if you didn't know beforehand.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com

God grant me the senility to forget the people I don't like
The good fortune to run into those I do like
And the eyesight to tell the difference

Old February 25th 10, 06:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote in message
[...]

funny you should mention those. part of the music illness is collecting all
the tech. so i have a player for those, just the chanical part. the sound part
has been electrified, it uses a much lightened and amplified pickup or needle
part, the drive is electric mostly to keep constancy of speed. no creativity
on my part. i used the tech the music project folks developed but mine is shoe
string while they have stuff to drool over.
it sounds like you have the pc issues working out. i can help with questions
if you ever get stuck. anyone in this group who needs help or parts is welcome
to see if i have it. i lurk mostly, but i appreciate this group's lively
nature and the great sharing of knowledge. i have learned much here and feel
gratitude.
i can repair broken records...hold still while i get the heater cranking. a
few hundred degrees on that seam should work. it will just sting a little.
honest.
someone with tinnitus
all the kids know that.

(quietus is a scam! i didn't buy but the wanings are up.)