"Breaking-in Fountain Pens" - Truth or Fiction?

Old May 25th 04, 07:07 PM
Sonam Dasara

KCat wrote:
And if tipping can not be worn (long term), why does it come away so
quickly with a little use of very high grade lapping film.

Because the abrasive particles on the film are manufactured to be
several times harder than any metal made. Inasmuch as the sole purpose of
lapping film is to *remove* a softer substance - in this case the tipping
material - you have observed the film doing its job.

I've smoothed numerous nibs now and in most cases it took little more
than 5 or 10 minutes of careful, slow work with this film. Yes, it
is designed to be abrasive but not in the same way as sand paper.

Oh, but it is. All abrasive papers/films are manufactured and used in a
very similar manner; the differences are the size of the abrasive particle,
and what the abrasive is comprised of. Those two variables affect the speed
of abrasion and the resulting surface finish. A 400 (sieve) silicone carbide
abrasive paper (as an example) will remove the tipping rather quickly and
leave a rough finish. The 1 micron 3M Imperial lapping film is the one most
commonly sold to pen hobbyists; it removes metal at a significantly slower
rate than 400, and the resulting finish significantly smoother than with
400; and it is essentially similar to any other abrasive paper or film.

That being said, I find it difficult to believe that writing on ordinary
writing paper will wear down a well-made nib-tip easily (emphasis on
"easily"). Not only am I speaking with experience as a 40 year amateur
machinist (and one who does limited nib grinding), but as one who has been
writing with fountain pens since childhood. Two of my pens are 25+ years
old, used daily, and show no evidence of wear or a "shiny sweet spot".
Likewise, it is outside the realm of my experience that glass will burnish a
hard metal tip - or a hard metal anything.

I would attribute that which you have observed to: inferior tipping
materials or workmanship; nib-smoothing by a previous owner or repair shop;
writing on non-standard materials that are abrasive; or as in your scenario,
really long-term use, such as for 40 or 50 years. While all of the alloys
used for tipping are very, very hard, daily use for over 45 years - as you
say yours has been - will produce some wear, and my experience tells me that
what you describe is just that.

--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara

Old May 25th 04, 11:04 PM
KCat

I've smoothed numerous nibs now and in most cases it took little more
than 5 or 10 minutes of careful, slow work with this film. Yes, it
is designed to be abrasive but not in the same way as sand paper.

Oh, but it is. All abrasive papers/films are manufactured and used in

very similar manner; the differences are the size of the abrasive

particle,

What I meant - rather than being terribly technical - was not to the degree
of sandpaper. I realize that this is exactly the purpose but that I can't
really see how other rough surfaces can not cause the same effect over time.
Greater lenghths of time and given that it is a deliberate effort with
lapping film vs. the daily use issue.

That being said, I find it difficult to believe that writing on

ordinary
writing paper will wear down a well-made nib-tip easily (emphasis on
"easily").

I agree - completely - that someone seemed to think I was saying otherwise
surprised me since my original response the original post was just that. I
find the "break in" concept to be faulty at least in terms of short-term use
of a pen with *proper* tipping.

Likewise, it is outside the realm of my experience that glass will burnish

hard metal tip - or a hard metal anything.

yeah - as I said - i've only heard/read this and find it questionable.

I would attribute that which you have observed to: inferior tipping
materials or workmanship; nib-smoothing by a previous owner or repair

shop;
writing on non-standard materials that are abrasive; or as in your

scenario,
really long-term use, such as for 40 or 50 years.

right - which was my point from the beginning. I have had a couple of
people write to me in the past saying that so-and-so told them never to lend
their pen to anyone else they would "ruin" it for them. Not in the sense
that they might bend or spring the nib - but in terms of the "break in"
concept. It's tantamount to the manufacturers claiming that only their ink
will work in the pens they make. There are other good reasons for not
loaning your pen - wear on the nib is not one of them.

While all of the alloys
used for tipping are very, very hard, daily use for over 45 years - as you
say yours has been - will produce some wear, and my experience tells me

that
what you describe is just that.

well - I'm only guessing since i don't know who owned it or used it and like
I said, it's possible it was altered by them. it's just the only pen I've
ever seen with this particular feature and happens to be the second oldest
pen I have. The other was not used much (it belonged to my GM - a Bantam)
and certainly showed no nib wear. Not much tipping either on that tiny
little "O" nib.

Honestly, I'm agreeing with folks who say break-in is unlikely and that wear
is minimal. BUT under certain circumstances - that latter seems possible.
I believe that the stronger likelihood of a person feeling a pen is
"smoother" after some time of use (let's say weeks or months) is a matter of
the person learning the original sweet spot on the nib - made during
manufacturing. Akin to the learning curve of trying an edged nib pen such
as a sharp italic pen. The first time most folks pick up an italic nib they
might think "yikes! I can't use this! it catches, it's sharp, bleah!"
(okay, so that's what I thought) but with practice it becomes very
comfortable and one doesn't really notice the sharpness as long as it is
*correct* configuration (vs. a bad nib.)
--
I am not a Lupus/Fountain Pen Expert. I am not a Medical Doctor. I do not
make my living in medicine or in fountain pen repair. All opinions herein

Old May 26th 04, 03:37 AM
Earl Camembert

On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:07:26 -0400, "Sonam Dasara"
wrote:

I would attribute that which you have observed to: inferior tipping
materials or workmanship; nib-smoothing by a previous owner or repair shop;
writing on non-standard materials that are abrasive; or as in your scenario,
really long-term use, such as for 40 or 50 years. While all of the alloys
used for tipping are very, very hard, daily use for over 45 years - as you
say yours has been - will produce some wear, and my experience tells me that
what you describe is just that.

There are rocks that have been worn away by people walking and
climbing. Look in any stream bed an you will see smooth stones, all
that is needed is time. How hard the nib, how rough the paper and how
many words are the variables. We are only guessing at the three
variables.