"Red Dragon" first edition??

Old October 10th 03, 02:41 AM
BookEditions

Default "Red Dragon" first edition??

Picked up a copy of Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon" today thinking it was a first,
but now I'm not so sure as I have seen different dust jackets on books all
claiming to be firsts. Hope someone with a REAL first can help:

Book is by G. P. Putnam Son's and there is no date on the title page. However,
the copywrite page does not show any subsequent printing dates or a "first
edition" entry or a printing line of any sort. According to one printing guide
I have, Putnam's uses several different ways of identifying a first, and the
lack of any statement to a later edition (i.e. "second printing," etc.) is one
of them. States "copywrite 1981."

The jacket has a red background with lettering in white and shows a price of
$13.95 on the inside flap. There is a dragon-like figure on the title page
which is not in the square box as I have seen on other editions claiming to be
firsts. Jacket design is by Lynn Hollyn & jacket illistration by Ron Walotsky.
ISBN 039912442x.

The boards are grey with a black binding wrapping around about an inch on both
sides.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Les
Old October 10th 03, 04:56 AM
Jon Meyers

"BookEditions" wrote...
[...]

Before about 1985, Putnam first are identified by no statement of later
printings on the copyright page, so you seem to be describing the true
first, except for this:

There is a dragon-like figure on the title page
which is not in the square box as I have seen on other editions claiming

to be
firsts.

In the true first, there is a b&w frontispiece--an illustration facing, not
on, the title page--of William Blake's "The Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed
with the Sun."

The other firsts you've seen are probably first printings of the 20th
anniversary edition, published by Dutton in 2000.

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old October 10th 03, 01:45 PM
BookEditions

In the true first, there is a b&w frontispiece--an illustration facing, not
on, the title page--of William Blake's "The Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed
with the Sun."

Jon,
Thanks for your response. You are absolutely correct about the frontispiece
illustration which I had incorrectly referred to as being on the title page. My
edition has this frontispiece drawing. I was also able to refer to Richard
Russell's "Book Collector's Price Guide" (2003) which fortunately showed a
picture of the dust jacket for "Red Dragon," and it matches my jacket. I'm not
too sure that Russell's suggested value of $160 is accurate, but since I only
paid $8 for the book yesterday, I think I made a pretty good deal.
Les