Goodies at Grandma's

Old September 9th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
cougar

Default Goodies at Grandma's

I found a Morgan Dollar at Grandma's that quite valuable. It's a
1893CC, but I'm really bad at judging the condition. I intend to give
it back to her since I'm not about to rob her of a few thousand
dollars, but can anyone guess the grade of the coin?

img src="http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090001.JPG"
img src="http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090002.JPG"

If HTML doesn't work (above), try going to:
http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090002.JPG

Thanks.

Old September 9th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

cougar wrote:
I found a Morgan Dollar at Grandma's that quite valuable. It's a
1893CC, but I'm really bad at judging the condition. I intend to give
it back to her since I'm not about to rob her of a few thousand
dollars, but can anyone guess the grade of the coin?

html snipped

http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090002.JPG

Thanks.

While it's true that some 1893-CC Morgan dollars can be worth thousands
of dollars, unfortunately grandma's isn't one of them.

Price points like that are reserved for coins with either no wear
(uncirculated) or far less wear than that coin exhibits. Grandma may be
able to get a couple of hundred dollars for it, but I doubt much more.

Old September 9th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Harv

"cougar" wrote in message
ups.com...
I found a Morgan Dollar at Grandma's that quite valuable. It's a
1893CC, but I'm really bad at judging the condition. I intend to give
it back to her since I'm not about to rob her of a few thousand
dollars, but can anyone guess the grade of the coin?

If HTML doesn't work (above), try going to:
http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090002.JPG

Thanks.

GeoCities is one of those lovely services that gives you a data bandwidth
quota. You went over it. Try clicking your own links and see what you get. I
get "Sorry that page is not available, user has exceeded data quota go away"
or some such nonsense, this is the result of posting to a newsfroup that
thousands of people read.

If your ISP gives you 5-10mb of free FTP or Web space with your account as
most of them do, then host your images there and you won't have that
problem.

Harv

Old September 9th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
cougar

While it's true that some 1893-CC Morgan dollars can be worth thousands
of dollars, unfortunately grandma's isn't one of them.

Price points like that are reserved for coins with either no wear
(uncirculated) or far less wear than that coin exhibits. Grandma may be
able to get a couple of hundred dollars for it, but I doubt much more.

Thanks for the assessment! I had a feeling that it was going to come
in very low. I was hoping it might make AU-50 condition, but you're
probably right that this is definitely circulated and worn out. She
did have a few in uncirculated condition but they were very common
years.

Oh, and Geocities is working again. It's a very tempermental service,
apparently. I guess it wouldn't even be VF-20 since most of the
features are indistinct.

Old September 9th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
K6AZ

On 9 Sep 2006 10:15:37 -0700, "cougar" wrote:

I found a Morgan Dollar at Grandma's that quite valuable. It's a
1893CC, but I'm really bad at judging the condition. I intend to give
it back to her since I'm not about to rob her of a few thousand
dollars, but can anyone guess the grade of the coin?

img src="http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090001.JPG"
img src="http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090002.JPG"

If HTML doesn't work (above), try going to:
http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cougar1082/P9090002.JPG

Thanks.

The coin grades Good. PCGS has two levels in this grade, 04 and 06.
Yours is 04, worth about $150. Here is one that PCGS graded Good 06,
I got $175 for it.

http://www.k6az.com/forums/1893cc_pcgs06_21712357.jpg
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/
Old September 9th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
K6AZ

On 9 Sep 2006 13:32:35 -0700, "cougar" wrote:

While it's true that some 1893-CC Morgan dollars can be worth thousands
of dollars, unfortunately grandma's isn't one of them.

Price points like that are reserved for coins with either no wear
(uncirculated) or far less wear than that coin exhibits. Grandma may be
able to get a couple of hundred dollars for it, but I doubt much more.

Thanks for the assessment! I had a feeling that it was going to come
in very low. I was hoping it might make AU-50 condition, but you're
probably right that this is definitely circulated and worn out. She
did have a few in uncirculated condition but they were very common
years.

Oh, and Geocities is working again. It's a very tempermental service,
apparently. I guess it wouldn't even be VF-20 since most of the
features are indistinct.

Here is what an AU50 looks like:

http://www.k6az.com/ebay/1904_pcgs50_21712363.jpg
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/
Old September 10th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
cougar

Default Morgan Dollar needing an appraisal

Here is what an AU50 looks like:

http://www.k6az.com/ebay/1904_pcgs50_21712363.jpg
--
K6AZ Forum