Arrogant Ebay

Old October 24th 03, 02:46 AM
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:09:33 GMT, "a. linklurker"
wrote:

"Tony Cooper" wrote
"a. linklurker" wrote:
I wonder if rec.collecting.coins is totally infilitrated by obtuse drens?
It seems like the general rant coming from that ng is that spamming
members with announcements of new auction items, although
prohibited by ebay and thusly agreed upon by ~each~ and ~every~
ebay seller not to do, is perfectly fine, and buyers should just
read it, delete it and get reamed.
Sheeeesh!
Is there ~any~ sane, intelligent, sentient lifeform in rec.collecting.coins?

The general definition of "spam" is "some kind of email that I don't
want to receive". If the person receiving the email does want to
receive it - or at least doesn't object to receiving it - then it is
not spam to that person.

The general definition of a newsgroup is "a place for discussion".
The general definiton of rules is "a subordinate regulation governing a
particular matter."

This newsgroup is a place to discuss ebay. Ebay's rule regarding
emailing former buyers announcements of new auctions is quite clear:
ebay forbid such emails.

Tony, obviously you are not a "sane, intelligent, sentient lifeform."

For those in rcc that don't read amoe (alt.moaning.oftenabout .ebay),
you're missing a real treat. Most of the posts consist of one line
links to badly prepared eBay ads. Evidently, the link lurkers spend
their evenings winnowing through thousands of eBay ads hoping to find
one to report. The white rhinoceros of this hunt is one where a nude
seller photographs a reflective item. Now that television stations no
longer broadcast a test pattern, it gives these amoers something to do
with their time.

The next most commonly seen post in amoe is the "Is this real?"
question from some nimrod that just received an email from "eBay" or
"PayPal" asking for verification of the account and for the recipient
to provide their credit card number, social security number, mother's
maiden name, bicycle lock combination, and a brief description of
their most embarrassing moment. The amoers treat these queries very
seriously and interrupt their pursuit of links to ads where the seller
has placed his thumb over the camera lens to assure the questioner of
the bogosity of the email.

After these two subject areas are handled, the posters get down to
serious whining. One will post an accounting of their first negative
feedback in 108,000 sales, and the rest jump in like professional
keeners at an Irish wake. To date, no one has ever deserved a neg.
Despite no one ever deserving a neg, it's a tough group on the NARUed.
The assumption is that eBay never errs. The attitude is very similar
to the Catholic church and the infallibility of the Pope on religious
matters.

Other favorite subjects are excessive shipping and handling charges,
fee avoidance, self-insurance, and keyword spamming. Amoers have the
same fascination with these subjects that babies have with their toes.
You would think, after thousands and thousands of posts on these
subjects, that there would be nothing more to say. You would be
right. Yet, they continue.

Then, you have the jail-house lawyers. These are the people - like
Linklurker - that read the eBay rulebook like a Muslim reads the
Qur'an and take it just as seriously. They are the Watchers of
Others. Amoe is their ducking stool. They recite paragraphs and
sub-paragraphs of the rulebook like a television preacher citing the
biblical book, chapter, and verse.

There are. of course, some interesting posters in amoe: Deborah S,
Richard W, and Kris B, come to mind. They are known to have thoughts
and articulate them well. Also interesting, though he takes the form
of Beelzebub and his posts reek of sulphur and smoke, is K. McCready.

If you have nothing more entertaining to do than trim your corns or
pluck out excessive nasal hair, an evening spent in amoe is something
to consider.

Old October 24th 03, 02:46 AM
Terry Clinghan

In article , "Lumpy" wrote:
James Brautigan wrote:
...You have to make effort to keep your customers.
Let them know about special items that they might want.

Dear One Time Customer -
Thanks for buying that 1947d penny from me.
I'll be "working you" in the future because
you're too stupid to look for or even know
what you want in a collectible coin. Don't
worry, I'll let you know what you want.
You don't have a choice. Oh, and this is
not spam. You now belong to us.

Collectibles-R-Us

Lumpy

Coin collectors work on sets so if they have bought a 1947d
penny they might also need the one from san francisco and
pittsbugh.
Old October 24th 03, 03:34 AM
Jim Menning

"Terry Clinghan" wrote in message
om...

isn't solemn promise a bit stupid for what is just a rule to make sure
all your business goes thru ebay?

It's a question of ethics, and those who violate the rules they previously
agreed to have none.

jim menning

Old October 24th 03, 05:00 AM
a. linklurker

"Bob Peterson" wrote
"Kris Baker" wrote
"Terry Clinghan" wrote
(bob peterson) wrote:
I think the point is that a few sellers think its ok to violate their
solemn promise made when they signed up for ebay that they would not
spam people they sell to (or buy from) unless permission is received
to do so.
If a person can't be trusted to abide by a contract he agreed to, why
would you trust him enough to buy things of value from?

isn't solemn promise a bit stupid for what is just a rule to make sure
all your business goes thru ebay?

Actually, it's eBay's response to complaints of spam.

I seriously doubt that is the real reason for it, in fact, I believe the
spam issue is a bald faced lie,

snipped further ridiculous nonsense

http://www.recordnet.com/daily/busin...102303-b-1.php

"Unwanted commercial advertising may be starting to kill the Internet's killer application, e-mail,
a new survey found.
One in four U.S. Internet users has used e-mail less because of the growing tide of junk messages,
or spam. Also, one of every two e-mail users says e-mail is less reliable to deliver and receive
messages.

Concerns include the loss of legitimate e-mail because of filters designed to stop spam or simply
missing incoming messages from friends, family or business colleagues and clients amid the flood of
spam cluttering up boxes.

Those are just a few of the conclusions reached by the report released Wednesday, "Spam: Hurting
e-mail and degrading the Internet environment," by the Pew Internet & American Life Project.

"People just love e-mail, and it really bothers them that spam is ruining such a good thing," said
Deborah Fallows, senior research fellow with the Pew project. "People resent spam's intrusions;
they are angered by its deceptions; and they are offended by much of the truly disgusting content."
"

link

Old October 24th 03, 05:51 AM
SgtDeath

"Terry Clinghan" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Lumpy"

wrote:
James Brautigan wrote:
...You have to make effort to keep your customers.
Let them know about special items that they might want.

Dear One Time Customer -
Thanks for buying that 1947d penny from me.
I'll be "working you" in the future because
you're too stupid to look for or even know
what you want in a collectible coin. Don't
worry, I'll let you know what you want.
You don't have a choice. Oh, and this is
not spam. You now belong to us.

Collectibles-R-Us

Lumpy

Coin collectors work on sets so if they have bought a 1947d
penny they might also need the one from san francisco and
pittsbugh.

I had one of those once, I sent it through the coin collector at the store

Old October 24th 03, 07:51 AM
Lumpy

Terry Clinghan wrote:
Coin collectors work on sets so if they have bought a
1947d penny they might also need the one from
san francisco and pittsbugh.

Dear One Time Customer -
Told you we'd be "working you".
Since you're too stupid to know, we're telling
you now that you need a 1947s and a 1947p penny
to complete your set. And since you're too stupid
to search on your own, we'll notify you when we
have one available. When that happens you'll be
notified and you MUST purchase it. Because you
need it. This is not spam because we said so.

Lumpy
--
www.lumpymusic.com
In Your Ears for 40 Years

Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM