Arrogant Ebay

Old October 23rd 03, 01:57 AM
SgtDeath

"James Brautigan" wrote in message
. com...
In article ,

(Charles Russell) wrote:
In article ,
(Curtis Desjardins) wrote:
(Jean Tant) wrote

Most serious collectors consider an email about new purchases as a

favor.

I most assuredly do NOT number among those "most". I can do my own
searches, thank you very much.

Curtis.

I am often too busy even to search for a particular coin that I want. I
appreciate the effort that a seller makes to give me a heads-up on new
purchases.

I think there are too many computer weenies who come from the day when
the Internet was restricted to academia, and thus regard any email that
they did not specifically ask for as spam. Welcome to the real world
folks! You have to make effort to keep your customers. Let them know
about special items that they might want.

After reading all your posts here... Ebay isn't always right, what frank is
doing is breaking the user agreement in which he agreed to when he signed
up. As for any email I don't ask for being regarded as spam, well what do
you expect. I expect spam from companies I've bought from. I'd rather they
didn't bother me with it as I went to them because of their reputation, word
of mouth or something. An effort to keep customers would be much more easier
if in the end of auction email or a follow up after payment the seller would
ask if the buyer would like to opt in. Makes people feel more in control
that way. I mean who's to say, frank could be sending out millions of
emails(likely not)... Who's going to pay for all that bandwidth that a
spammer uses? Spammers get their connections yanked and frank got in trouble
because why? Because he broke the rules to which he agreed to. Not a hard
concept.
I agree that people should make an effort to keep their customers, but there
are easier ways of doing it without ****ing thousands off in the process
just to keep 10 customers.

Old October 23rd 03, 02:16 AM
SgtDeath

"James Brautigan" wrote in message
om...
In article ,

wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:16:59 GMT, C. R. Boston
muttered something like:

It is not UCE (spam) if you have a prior business relationship
with someone. All anti-spam legislation provides an exemption
for existing customers. If you don't see this difference, you have
been brainwashed by ebay,

You sound like you've been brainwashed by spammers. Just because I
purchase some geegaw from Random Online Store doesn't mean I now want to
be inundated with advertising by them, and if they start doing so I'll be
blocking mail from their site and never purchasing anything from them
again.

Some people have limited inbox space; some people use e-mail only at

work;
some people just don't want hundreds of ads coming in every day.
Assuming that they are too stupid to know that they want to be signed up
for an advertising list is not only arrogant on the part of the sender,
but also discourteous to their would-be customer.

-Bertha

But is it from a fake address for a fraud product, or from a legitimate
business that you have bought from before. Big difference. Can't think

of
any collector who wouldn't want to know about newps.

So since I advertise that I accept paypal in my auctions, its ok for someone
to get my email address or send me an email through the "ask seller a
question" suggesting that I use bidpay, or offer me a sign on bonus with
some other online payment system? I'm not talking about a legit buyer saying
they don't have paypal, asking me if I can accept something else, I'm
talking about an email saying "hey try this service, they give you a sign up
bonus, or free something". Is that ok for someone to do to me because I list
only paypal? I think not, if a buyer did that, they'd be immediately
reported to ebay.

Old October 23rd 03, 02:22 AM
Richard Ward

James Brautigan wrote:

snip
It's a bluff. Ebay cannot legally enforce that provision. It's restraint of
trade.

And aside from vague generalities, exactly what law do you believe it
violates?

Old October 23rd 03, 02:25 AM
Kris Baker

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
the FACTS are that when you sign up to use the eBay
service, you agree to abide by their rules, and one
of their rules is that you can't spam your customers.
if you are not willing to abide by the promise you
made when you signed up for ebay, why would
anyone want to buy anything from you in the
first place?

Bingo.

eBay *does* allow a seller to maintain a mailing
list of his clients, on an opt-in basis that's mentioned
as part of the transaction (and not in a separate
email).

It certainly should be an easy policy to understand;
and it's certainly easy to implement. It allows a
seller to build such a mailing list and maintain it
within policy....but a certain few refuse to abide
by even those simple rules.

Like the do-not-call lists, WHY would an email
spammer (or telemarketer) even want to contact
people who have not indicated that they want
the spam/calls?

This all began with an eBay seller using an opt-
out system, against eBay policy, then claiming
that eBay has no right to notify him when his
buyers complain. How silly.

Kris

Old October 23rd 03, 02:26 AM
Bob Niland

James Brautigan wrote:

This seems to be revealing itself as an
extended troll. I'll play one more hand,
and then fold.

You have to make effort to keep your customers.
Let them know about special items that they might want.

What exactly is it you want here in a.m.o.e?

Even if (fat chance) we all tell you we agree
with you, it will be of ZERO avail when you get
called on the carpet at eBay.

So go ahead,
* spam your winning bidders who were
prior customers
* spam your losing bidders who were
prior customers
* spam the question-to-sellers that
didn't bid at all, but who were
prior customers
* spam the bidders on competing auctions
who were prior customers
* spam collectors who sell, who were
prior customers
* then go after the ones that weren't
prior customers

Wait for some number of them to complain,
and they will. Then tell eBay it wasn't
"spam", depending on how you define "define".
eBay will say: NARU

In your NARU appeal, you can even say:
"but alt.marketing.online.ebay said it was OK"

That will merely result in the NARU being
made permanent :-)

Then come back and join the few permanent
whiners-in-residence that hang out here.

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provide
Old October 23rd 03, 05:27 AM
a. linklurker

"James Brautigan" wrote
"a. linklurker" wrote:
"Frank Provasek" wrote
Attention fellow lemming...

Frank, you're the only rodent around here.
But you're not a lemming:
you're a rat-****.
link

I wonder if this newsgroup is infiltrated by ebay employees?
Seems like the general rant is that ebay is always right, just
bend over and get reamed.

I wonder if rec.collecting.coins is totally infilitrated by obtuse drens?
It seems like the general rant coming from that ng is that spamming
members with announcements of new auction items, although
prohibited by ebay and thusly agreed upon by ~each~ and ~every~
ebay seller not to do, is perfectly fine, and buyers should just
read it, delete it and get reamed.

Sheeeesh!
Is there ~any~ sane, intelligent, sentient lifeform in rec.collecting.coins?

link

Old October 23rd 03, 05:54 AM
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:27:00 GMT, "a. linklurker"
wrote:

I wonder if rec.collecting.coins is totally infilitrated by obtuse drens?
It seems like the general rant coming from that ng is that spamming
members with announcements of new auction items, although
prohibited by ebay and thusly agreed upon by ~each~ and ~every~
ebay seller not to do, is perfectly fine, and buyers should just
read it, delete it and get reamed.

Sheeeesh!
Is there ~any~ sane, intelligent, sentient lifeform in rec.collecting.coins?

The general definition of "spam" is "some kind of email that I don't
want to receive". If the person receiving the email does want to
receive it - or at least doesn't object to receiving it - then it is
not spam to that person.

Since you are not receiving either welcome or unwelcome email
regarding coin offerings, why are you so intent on imposing your views
on others? You are not involved as receiver of the email in question
or as a representative of eBay. If the skin isn't coming off of your
nose, why stick your nose in?

I read both newsgroups. Or, at least I used to. The eBay newsgroup
is so dominated by whining complainers that it's not worth the bother,
though. It's like a class reunion of Hall Monitors.

Old October 23rd 03, 02:21 PM
bob peterson

I think the point is that a few sellers think its ok to violate their
solemn promise made when they signed up for ebay that they would not
spam people they sell to (or buy from) unless permission is received
to do so.

If a person can't be trusted to abide by a contract he agreed to, why
would you trust him enough to buy things of value from?

Old October 23rd 03, 03:09 PM
a. linklurker

"Tony Cooper" wrote
"a. linklurker" wrote:
I wonder if rec.collecting.coins is totally infilitrated by obtuse drens?
It seems like the general rant coming from that ng is that spamming
members with announcements of new auction items, although
prohibited by ebay and thusly agreed upon by ~each~ and ~every~
ebay seller not to do, is perfectly fine, and buyers should just
read it, delete it and get reamed.
Sheeeesh!
Is there ~any~ sane, intelligent, sentient lifeform in rec.collecting.coins?

The general definition of "spam" is "some kind of email that I don't
want to receive". If the person receiving the email does want to
receive it - or at least doesn't object to receiving it - then it is
not spam to that person.

The general definition of a newsgroup is "a place for discussion".
The general definiton of rules is "a subordinate regulation governing a
particular matter."

This newsgroup is a place to discuss ebay. Ebay's rule regarding
emailing former buyers announcements of new auctions is quite clear:
ebay forbid such emails.

Tony, obviously you are not a "sane, intelligent, sentient lifeform."

But you are ~still~ crediblity-impaired. never forget

Since you are not receiving either welcome or unwelcome email
regarding coin offerings, why are you so intent on imposing your views
on others? You are not involved as receiver of the email in question
or as a representative of eBay. If the skin isn't coming off of your
nose, why stick your nose in?

Why don't you stick your nose in Frank Provasek's asshole?

I read both newsgroups. Or, at least I used to.

You used to post in amoe, too: until your routine of
asking trolling questions lost its appeal.

Your routine ran thin in amoe quite quickly, Tony: I guess that they
appreciate it in rec.collecting.coins.

The eBay newsgroup
is so dominated by whining complainers that it's not worth the bother,
though. It's like a class reunion of Hall Monitors.

Go count your change.

link

Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM