Arrogant Ebay

Old October 18th 03, 04:05 PM
Charles Russell

In article , (Curtis Desjardins) wrote:
(Jean Tant) wrote

Most serious collectors consider an email about new purchases as a favor.

I most assuredly do NOT number among those "most". I can do my own
searches, thank you very much.

Curtis.

I am often too busy even to search for a particular coin that I want. I
appreciate the effort that a seller makes to give me a heads-up on new
purchases.
Old October 19th 03, 05:26 AM
Bob Niland

Charles Russell wrote:

I am often too busy even to search for a
particular coin that I want.

Sounds like BS, but doesn't describe most
serious collectors of anything.

I appreciate the effort that a seller makes
to give me a heads-up on new purchases.

Even long after you've acquired that particular
coin and have zero interest in additional
instances of it?

Unsoliticed Commercial Email (UCE) is the
stereotypical example of SPAM, regardless of
what self-serving BS is spewed to "justify" it.

It doesn't matter if 0.000013% of the spam
recipients are actually happy to receive it.
The rest of us will avail ourselves of
whatever recourse is available.

In the specific case of eBay sellers contacting
past or potential bidders about new auctions,
I will report them to eBay instantly. This is
a clear violation of the eBay User Agreement.

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
Old October 21st 03, 12:16 AM
C. R. Boston

In article , Bob Niland wrote:
Charles Russell wrote:

I am often too busy even to search for a
particular coin that I want.

Sounds like BS, but doesn't describe most
serious collectors of anything.

I appreciate the effort that a seller makes
to give me a heads-up on new purchases.

Even long after you've acquired that particular
coin and have zero interest in additional
instances of it?

Unsoliticed Commercial Email (UCE) is the
stereotypical example of SPAM, regardless of
what self-serving BS is spewed to "justify" it.

It doesn't matter if 0.000013% of the spam
recipients are actually happy to receive it.
The rest of us will avail ourselves of
whatever recourse is available.

In the specific case of eBay sellers contacting
past or potential bidders about new auctions,
I will report them to eBay instantly. This is
a clear violation of the eBay User Agreement.

It is not UCE (spam) if you have a prior business relationship
with someone. All anti-spam legislation provides an exemption
for existing customers. If you don't see this difference, you have
been brainwashed by ebay,
Old October 21st 03, 12:39 AM
Bob Niland

C. R. Boston wrote:

It is not UCE (spam) if you have a prior
business relationship with someone.

A relationship in the context of an auction
systems whose terms specifically say that
sellers will not do this.

I get email offers all the time from dot.coms
I buy from. I authorized them.

All anti-spam legislation provides an
exemption for existing customers.

But eBay's terms don't. We aren't just talking
law here. The seller may not go to jail, but
they can still get kicked off eBay.

If you don't see this difference,

If an eBay buyer solicits seller email, or
agrees if asked in the course of an auction,
there's no problem. Absent a specific prior
agreement (not just a relationship), the seller
gets reported.

you have been brainwashed by ebay,

eBay sellers can brainwash themselves with all
the this-is-not-spam spin they want, but if
they send unsolicited commercial email to
former buyers, they are playing with fire.

Enough of those buyers will file complaints
that NARU is sooner rather than later, but
certain in any case. My opinion is irrelevant.
What the email recipients are likely to do,
and what eBay will do in response, is the
bottom line.

Old October 21st 03, 12:41 AM
Richard Ward

C. R. Boston wrote:
snip
It is not UCE (spam) if you have a prior business relationship
with someone. All anti-spam legislation provides an exemption
for existing customers. If you don't see this difference, you have
been brainwashed by ebay,

What part of "it's defined as spam by the eBay's user agreement, you
agreed to it contractually when you signed up, and it doesn't matter in
the slightest what the definition of spam is in unrelated anti-spam
legislation" are you having a difficulty understanding?

Old October 21st 03, 01:54 AM
Frank Provasek

Sending a personal email to a valued customer is not the same as sending a
spam ad to 100,000 uninterested strangers. Why is it you cannot understand
the difference?

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://www.frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259
"Richard Ward" wrote in message

snip

Old October 21st 03, 02:33 AM
Bob Niland

Frank Provasek wrote:

Sending a personal email to a valued customer ...

If the customer didn't request or authorize it,
then they aren't very highly valued by the
sender.

... is not the same as sending a spam ad to
100,000 uninterested strangers.

One spam is still a spam. The numbers matter only
in how quickly the complaints add up.

Why is it you cannot understand the difference?

Because there isn't any. And anyone who wishes
it to be different is missing the point. All
it takes is a handful of eBay bidder complaints
to get such a seller NARU'd.

We aren't the droids you're looking for. Even
if you persuade us, you'll still get NARU'd
by complaints from the valued victims.

You need to persuade the recipients, one at a
time. And if you do, then it isn't spam.

Old October 21st 03, 03:07 AM
Richard Ward

Frank Provasek wrote:

Sending a personal email to a valued customer is not the same as sending a
spam ad to 100,000 uninterested strangers. Why is it you cannot understand
the difference?

Certainly I understand the difference. However, since eBay's rules
prohibit sending emails to eBay customers without their express prior
permission, whether you send your message to 1 or or to 100,000,000, the
difference is simply irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Why do you
have such a hard time understanding that?

Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM