Roman numerals.

Old November 19th 03, 11:00 AM
note.boy

Default Roman numerals.

How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy
Old November 19th 03, 11:20 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

"note.boy" wrote:

How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy

I learned from a movie that the concept of zero originated
with the Mayan Indians of the Yucatan Peninsula. Can anyone
name the movie? :-) (No prize if you are right. No punishment
if you're wrong.)
Aram.
Old November 19th 03, 11:23 AM
Larry Louks

note.boy wrote:
How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy

I don't think I've ever heard that question before. It's a good one!

A little time spent with Google shows that the Romans apparently didn't use
a zero when referring to "nothing."

Larry

Old November 19th 03, 12:12 PM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

note.boy wrote:

How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy

I minus I

:-)

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY

Old November 19th 03, 02:49 PM
Christian Feldhaus

note.boy wrote:

How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-)

You don't g.

If we write a number (one used for calculations), the digit on the right
end represents the "ones", the next one is the "tens", then the
"hundreds", etc. A number like 372 is three "hundreds", seven "tens"
and two "ones". In such a system you need the zero; Roman numerals do
not require it.

In case you want to give somebody your phone or account number in Roman
numerals ... just insert an extra wide space :-)

Christian
Old November 19th 03, 03:34 PM
Jim Higgins

"note.boy" wrote in message
How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy

X-X maybe :-)

http://www.guernsey.net/~sgibbs/roman.html

http://www.mathsyear2000.org/explore...romanNbs.shtml

--
Remove first letter left of dot to reply

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."
Benjamin Franklin

Old November 19th 03, 03:41 PM
Randy Thompson

"note.boy" wrote in message ...
How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy

Let's see...to get a four you put an "I" to the left of "V". To get a
nine you put an "I" to the left of "X". This denotes one less than
five and ten respectively. Logically then to get a zero you would
want to put an "I" to the left of "I" to note one less than one. That
means that zero is written "II".

Oh, wait....
Old November 19th 03, 04:00 PM
DONDI3

In article , Kaleb KEITHLEY
writes:

note.boy wrote:

How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy

I minus I

:-)

Bingo.

One candy company celebrated the millennium by putting the year on each piece
they sold...but they abandoned it the next year when sales failed to increase.

....at least that's what I heard...

dondi III
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old November 19th 03, 04:27 PM
Dale Hallmark

/--------------------------\
my website:
http://www.austriancoins.com
"An information site only (nothing for sale) about
selected coins, tokens, and medals of modern Austria".

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
om...
"note.boy" wrote in message

How do you write zero in Roman numerals? :-) Billy

nihilum

Ok so it isn't a Roman Numeral
Closest I could come to it.

Dale