Can you identify please ?

Old September 17th 05, 06:03 PM
D. A. Hicks

Default Can you identify please ?

http://stamp-temp.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Old September 17th 05, 06:45 PM
D. A. Hicks

Better view

www.hicksassociates.fsnet.co.uk

5 stamps in all

Many thanks

Old September 17th 05, 08:06 PM
Chris

the eagle with two heads is for Albania.
first is japanese and second is Armenia - Nakhitchevan
hope it helps you but i haven't the Scott catalogue.
Chris

de ...

Old September 18th 05, 01:37 AM
Blair (TC)

#1 - Japanese Revenue stamp (not listed in Scott)

#2 - This is a POLISH label (not Armenian).
It is not a postage stamp, so not listed in Scott.

It shows Kazimierz Wielki (1310 - 1370) [aka Casimir III or Casimir the
Great]
who was one of the greatest Kings of Poland (reigned: 1333-1370).
http://www.poland.gov.pl/?document=1953

A portrait of him can be seen at :
http://www.wiw.pl/historia/poczet/pi...erz_wielki.gif
The portrait was the basis of the design of the label.

Casimir III Wielki (the Great), one of the most outstanding
Polish rulers, made peace with the Teutonic Knights in 1343,
giving away Pomerania as "an eternal alms" to them. That
enabled him to recover other lands which were held by the Order.

In foreign policy, in spite of some opposition, he was in
favour of compromise. As a result, he ensured peace to
Poland and could occupy himself with reforming the state,
carrying out a monetary reform and codifying the laws.

Casimir built Poland into a major Central-European power,
increasing her territory 2.5 times, bringing it's size up
to 270,000 sq.km. In 1364, he established the Cracow Academy,
the first Polish university. There is a saying that Casimir
the Great "found Poland built of wood, and left it in stone,"
so great was his activity as founder and planner of towns.

Starting in Dec. 1986, Poland started issuing a series of attractive
stamps showing Polish royalty. In 1995, 4 stamps were issued
including a 60 grozy stamp showing Casimir III (the Great) [Scott 3224]
http://home.no.net/bhb2/pl3523s.jpg

#3 to #5 - Albania 1921 - Note in Scott reads:
"Stamps of these types and with TAKSE overprint were
unauthorized and not placed in use. They are common."
http://www.nitline.net/curban/alb1.jpg
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/e5/d2/09_1_b.JPG

I hope that this helps you.

Blair

Old September 18th 05, 02:39 AM
Jay T. Carrigan

The "NA BIEDNYCH" inscription means "For the poor".
This is from a 1917 set of 8. Also known with
various surcharges.

See http://www.raster.it/stefano/a/stamps/zarki2.jpg.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article .com,
says...

#1 - Japanese Revenue stamp (not listed in Scott)

#2 - This is a POLISH label (not Armenian).
[...]

---
----------------------------------

Old September 18th 05, 05:51 AM
D. A. Hicks

Cheers Guys

I just wished I had asked a week ago before I had search every page in my
World Gibbons !!!!! :-(

David

Old September 18th 05, 10:34 AM
Victor Manta

"D. A. Hicks" wrote in message
Cheers Guys

I just wished I had asked a week ago before I had search every page in my
World Gibbons !!!!! :-(

I'm quite sure that you have found other interesting things when searching.

It's what usually happens to me, so that sometimes I even forget what I was
actually searching for...
--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old September 18th 05, 12:01 PM
D. A. Hicks

Hmmmm

My wife says senility comes quickly to philatelists.

Every year I buy her a new catalogue for her Birthday, but keep forgetting
she does not collect. hee hee hee

--
David

Old September 18th 05, 09:31 PM
Victor Manta

"D. A. Hicks" wrote in message
Hmmmm

My wife says senility comes quickly to philatelists.

Every year I buy her a new catalogue for her Birthday, but keep forgetting
she does not collect. hee hee hee

--
David

The wives are always right, isn't it? A supplementary proof follows.

Today, before of the arrival tomorrow of my 61st birth anniversary, I have
taken a longer look at my collection of art on stamps (many thousands of
them so far), and I have noticed that I have forgotten (oh, horror!) that
one of my stamps has a tooth that is a bit too short (and consequently
should be replaced ASAP). I wonder if the time came to definitively quit our
hobby...

Old September 19th 05, 12:08 AM
Pierre COURTIADE

Yesterday Victor Manta wrote :

Today, before of the arrival tomorrow of my 61st birth anniversary ...

Joyeux anniversaire, Victor !

From an ooooold collector,
Pierre Courtiade
(61 plus some months ;-)