LOVE on 8-track tape?

Old February 5th 05, 12:40 PM
trippingtoo-8track

lennon fan wrote:
LOVE on 8-track tape?

Group: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2005, 11:41am
(EST-3) From: (Dan)
I have "Forever Changes" and "Da Capo" -- both on Early Ampex
carts --
Fantastic stuff!
Dan

COOL! so they do exist on 8.....I wonder if the first lp came out
also....I guess I have about as much chance of finding one as I would

VU and nico cart or a Floyd Piper

I have (1) Love tape here somewhere, it came in with the last Goodwill
batch, 25 cents.

Old February 5th 05, 12:45 PM
DoucheBobScarborough

What do you know ? You're insane.

Old February 5th 05, 03:06 PM
ommadawn

I grew up with 8-track versions of 'Da Capo' and 'Four Sail.'
The 'Da Capo' tape was frustrating; it had a manufacturing defect which
caused it to slow down in the middle of every track! The guy who sold it to
me said it just needed to be wound tighter, but that wasn't the problem at
all.
I also adored the Blue Thumb 'Out Here' on tape for many years. I had the
GRT cart with the gold/black squares slip case. Beautiful...

Old February 5th 05, 05:43 PM
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 07:23:08 -0500, (lennon fan)
wrote:

One thing I've found is that there are an incredibly great amount of
albums from 1967. So many, in fact, that it's easy to see how so much
was overlooked. Love took the Byrds and Stones to the nth degree, IMO.
I've always been kinda bored by the Byrds (except for a few key tracks)snip

They were even more boring live, but they were the hot ticket in those
days, so musical output didn't exactly correlate to fame. It was
mostly gimmickry. David Crosby would strut into the Whisky before
their set dressed in these incredible velvet "renaissance" costumes
and all the chicks would just go ga-ga. Of course, he was stoned out
of his gourd, so I'm sure he didn't really know WTF was going on,
which also explained his outlandish behavior.

A million wannabes litter the landscape now and I couldn't care
less...show me an Arthur Lee, a Ronnie Spector, a Tina Turner, etc. and
I'm all ears. I couldn't give a damn if they're in their 60's. (one day,
we'll all get there if we're lucky) snip

Tina was on late night the other night and is as good as ever,
although semi-retired now. I view it this way: you can have
performers from the days when people could really sing and play, or
you get...Ashlee Simpson.

(btw, went to NYC over xmas and saw Ronnie at BB King's blues club in
Times Sq. and was massively impressed at how great her voice is, too bad
she was f'd over all those years by Phil...she woulda been a contenda!
LOL snip

Phil's finally getting his...after all these years. I remember an
incident at Gold Star back in the late '70s. He was way out of the
game by then, but still regarded Gold Star as his private fiefdom or
something. I remember distinctly you couldn't use the echo chambers
unless you had Spector's express permission, as he was paranoid (from
all the cocaine, no doubt) that you were stealing his sound. A weird,
weird, totally ****ed up person...sorta like Noodles! Spector never
completely figured out that it was widespread conversion to stereo in
the '60s that killed off his "Wall Of Sound," not people using Gold
Star's famous echo chambers. Personally, I think Capitol's are much
better and are more versatile. One thing Capitol did when they built
the "stack o' records" building on Vine St....they did everything
right as far as the studios went. Now, if they could just get rid of
that awful purple paint job....

dB
Old February 5th 05, 05:43 PM
DeserTBoB

On 5 Feb 2005 04:45:14 -0800, "DoucheBobScarborough"
wrote:

What do you know ? You're insane. snip

Shut the **** up, Noodles.
Old February 5th 05, 05:50 PM
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:06:01 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

I grew up with 8-track versions of 'Da Capo' and 'Four Sail.'
The 'Da Capo' tape was frustrating; it had a manufacturing defect which
caused it to slow down in the middle of every track! The guy who sold it to
me said it just needed to be wound tighter, but that wasn't the problem at
all. snip

Probably the opposite. "Tightening" a cart makes for more drag, not
less.

I also adored the Blue Thumb 'Out Here' on tape for many years. I had the
GRT cart with the gold/black squares slip case. Beautiful... snip

GRTs were the kings of drag, due to their many more points of contact
between tape and guides inside...the "K" wrap tape path. A good
player with a fresh belt should handle them with ease if they're in
good shape, but if you want to test a belt or motor on any
deck...stick an early GRT into it. One good things about the "K" wrap
tape path...there's enough back drag to where you don't really need
pressure pads! I've also run into samples of GRT which had excessive
back coating on the tape which would peel off all over everything
inside. Their tape itself was less than impressive, also, but sounded
about as good as anything else back in those days.

dB
Old February 5th 05, 06:37 PM
ommadawn

No, it was the way it was recorded, I think, that caused the drag, not a
mechanical thing...
And that tape was an early Ampex, not a GRT.
I have the first 4 LP's on reel-to-reel, so they must have all been on
8-track.

Old February 5th 05, 10:32 PM
trippingtoo-8track

What do you know ?? You're mentally retarded and on meds...

Old February 6th 05, 02:07 AM
William W Western

Love. Manfred Mann's Earth Band's version sucked, but was more
commercial.

I have my doubts that the Earth Band covered My Little Red Book. The
band was simply Manfred Mann when they cut MLRB with Paul Jones on vocals.
Great vocalist, though I preferred the later vocals of Mike d'Abo. Some may
be familiar with that name as his daughter played the sister on Wonder Years
if memory serves. Manfred Mann were cool because they looked completely not
like rock and rollers. That said, and being a Canadian and all, I like both
band's versions.
WWW

Old February 6th 05, 03:10 AM
8 tracker from hell

wrote:

What do you know ? You're insane. snip

Shut the **** up, Noodles.

DeserTBob
what is the status regarding the newsgroup conversion. is it still going to
happen?
are we going to have a "nudofraud" free newsgroup soon?

--
i have an 8 track mind

My other computer is your XP box.