1998 1 oz Platinum Eagle Proof vs. 2000 LOC $10 unc....?

Old April 2nd 04, 05:04 AM
computato

Default 1998 1 oz Platinum Eagle Proof vs. 2000 LOC $10 unc....?

I have considered trading a '98 1 oz Platinum Eagle Proof for a 2000
Library of Congress $10 uncirculated. Would this be a good trade? I
consider both coins to be beautiful. Any thoughts as to how a trade of this
nature would fare? I'm open for $uggestions....

Old April 2nd 04, 09:00 AM
WinWinscenario

I have considered trading a '98 1 oz Platinum Eagle Proof for a 2000
Library of Congress $10 uncirculated. Would this be a good trade?

Since the LOC $10 is appreciating rapidly and the Platinum eagle is
not--current trends shows the LOC $10 worth around 1200 while the eagle is
850--it sure seems like a great trade for the guy who winds up with the LOC
$10.

But that's just me. There must be platinum junkies out there who like their
precious metals without gold highlights. And, if you ever decide to buy
blizzards at the local DQ, you can get 10X as many with the Platinum
eagle--$100 face vs. $10 face.

Regards,
Tom
Old April 2nd 04, 12:28 PM
Harv

"WinWinscenario" wrote in message
I have considered trading a '98 1 oz Platinum Eagle Proof for a 2000
Library of Congress $10 uncirculated. Would this be a good trade?

Since the LOC $10 is appreciating rapidly and the Platinum eagle is
not--current trends shows the LOC $10 worth around 1200 while the eagle is
850--it sure seems like a great trade for the guy who winds up with the

LOC
$10.

But that's just me.

And me. I'd make that trade in a New York minute.. although I got damned
good money for the ones I sold, two NGC MS70s, I wish I still had one of the
LOC 2000-W $10.00 Uncs..

There's a PCGS MS70 in one of the upcoming TeleTrade auctions. The last one
they sold went for close to $4000.00.. Original issue price in 2000 was
$390.00..

Harv

Old April 3rd 04, 12:17 PM
computato

There's a PCGS MS70 in one of the upcoming TeleTrade auctions. The last

one
they sold went for close to $4000.00.. Original issue price in 2000 was
$390.00..

I bought the LOC proof from the mint at $20 more than the cost of the unc.
What was I thinking....

Why didn't I go ahead and throw the coin budget out the window and buy both.

Old April 3rd 04, 07:03 PM
Harv

"computato" wrote in message

There's a PCGS MS70 in one of the upcoming TeleTrade auctions. The last

one
they sold went for close to $4000.00.. Original issue price in 2000 was
$390.00..

I bought the LOC proof from the mint at $20 more than the cost of the

unc.
What was I thinking....

Why didn't I go ahead and throw the coin budget out the window and buy

both.

Because you didn't know at the time. Which is perfectly reasonable. Why
didn't I buy a case of 100 copies of The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers in mono in
1967 or Magical Mystery Tour a year later for $3.00 a record, and sock them
away??.. It would have cost me $300.00. I could sell those records in
shrinkwrap now for about $500.00 to $1000.00 each.. Probably because I
didn't have $300.00 at one time to blow on records in 1967. But I could have
bought ten of each and left them in shrinkwrap. A $60.00 investment, now
worth maybe $20,000.00.. But I didn't. Who did? Most likely no one did..

I'll show you another off the wall example. I don't know how old you are.
Were you around in 1977, the year Star Wars and Saturday Night Fever came
out??.. You could have walked into Toys'R'Us and bought these for $5.00
each. Now take a look..

These were going for about $75.00 to $100.00 up to a few weeks ago when the
movie came out. Then blammo!!..

When the movie is gone from theatres and no one cares any more except hard
core collectors, they'll go back down again..

How many did you buy for $5.00 each in 1977 and stick in a box in the garage
to hold onto for 27 years? Anyone? Bueller??..

With Modern Commemoratives, the Uncs. are always lower mintages than the
Proofs of the same issue. If you're only going to buy one, buy the Unc. if
you're interested in appreciating value and possible later sale. If you plan
to keep it forever and never sell it or don't care what it's resale value is
and like the look of the Proof better, then don't worry about it and buy the
Proof.. These were expensive coins from The Mint and the price scared away a
lot of collectors. So the Mintages were very low. Or maybe they thought the
design sucked. Who knows. Some of the suckiest looking Modern Commemoratives
are the most valuable now because hardly anyone bought them.

I have a screen capture of an earlier TeleTrade auction for a PCGS MS70
BiMetallic and it got up to $9000.00 and did not sell. Insanity. Both the
PCGS Price Guide and the Coin World Trends Values Prices Guides now show an
MS70 at about $3200.00.. Raw in Mint Packaging, the Uncs. are going for
about $1000.00 to $1200.00 and the Proofs for about $450.00 to $500.00. So
the Uncs. have almost tripled from their issue price while the Proofs are
stagnant.. Mintages were roughly 6800 Uncs, and roughly 33,000 Proofs..

Harv
"Needs a time machine, a couple hundred bucks, and about an hour .. " ..

Old April 3rd 04, 10:13 PM
Lyntoy1

Harv-
I see you watch Corgi items on Ebay (or is it Starsky & Hutch?). There is a
Batman movie coming soon, with appropriate Corgi being released. Do you feel
lucky?
Mike
Old April 3rd 04, 11:10 PM
Harv

"Lyntoy1" wrote in message
Harv-
I see you watch Corgi items on Ebay (or is it Starsky & Hutch?). There is

Batman movie coming soon, with appropriate Corgi being released. Do you

feel
lucky?
Mike

I only watch a couple selected Corgi items.. I'm not primarily a Corgi
collector.. I'm more into Vintage Matchbox, first series, and first and
second series Yesteryears.. however the Starsky and Hutch car and figures,
the original, from 1977 (it has been re-issued twice in different form
factors and boxes by Corgi since then..) .. I bought one in 1977 for $5.00.
I no longer have it for reasons I will not describe. I want another one. I'm
not going to pay $300.00 for one, though. Or $200.00. Or $100.00..

Batman doesn't interest me at all, and I don't buy the modern stuff anyway,
just the Vintage stuff.. and very little of it ..

Sometimes I think I collect hobbies :-/ ..

Harv