Romanian query -- Balcanmax '97

Old September 26th 05, 09:27 PM
amesh

Default Romanian query -- Balcanmax '97

I am a little puzzled about this Romanian FDC (or Printed Matter) from 1997,
showing a stamp from the International Stamp Exhibition Balcanmax '97 in
Klausenburg (Michel # 5255), with a first day cancel of Leonardo's portrait.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leona...-Balcanmax.jpg

What has Leonardo to do on that cover? Maybe Victor can elaborate? Maybe
the text tells a bit more. All I can understand immediately is something
like "Musical Play by Leonardo da Vinci", I just don't see the context.

Thanks in advance for any help :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 27th 05, 12:20 AM
Gerhard Reichert

Hi Mette,

first line of the inscription is: 450th anniversary of death of Leonardo da
Vinci (of the cancellation).

Seems to me, that Leonardo was also a composer.

Best regards from Bavaria, next to Vlad Tepes home :-)

Gerhard

. ..

Old September 27th 05, 02:35 AM
Blair (TC)

Hello Mette:

Scott lists this 450 lei stamp as Scott #4159 issued 1997
June 27. (although yours looks like a postal card)

Design shows National Theatre, Cathedral and statue of
Mihai Viteazul [Michael the Brave (Mihai Viteazul) was
one of the greatest of Romania's national heroes. He
was the Prince of Wallachia (1593-1601), of Transylvania
(1599-1600), and of Moldavia (1600), thereby uniting for
the first time the three Romanian principalities under one rule.]

Balcanmax 97 was a maximum card exhibition held in
Cluj-Napoca.

Leonardo was born in 1452 and died in France 1519 May 02.
I do not see any special anniversary related to his death date
(see the cancellation).

The relationship is a mystery to me as well.

Blair

Old September 27th 05, 08:19 AM
amesh

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Hello Mette:

Scott lists this 450 lei stamp as Scott #4159 issued 1997
June 27. (although yours looks like a postal card)

Thank you Blair. No, it is actually a cover.

Design shows National Theatre, Cathedral and statue of
Mihai Viteazul [Michael the Brave (Mihai Viteazul) was
one of the greatest of Romania's national heroes. He
was the Prince of Wallachia (1593-1601), of Transylvania
(1599-1600), and of Moldavia (1600), thereby uniting for
the first time the three Romanian principalities under one rule.]

Balcanmax 97 was a maximum card exhibition held in
Cluj-Napoca.

Leonardo was born in 1452 and died in France 1519 May 02.
I do not see any special anniversary related to his death date
(see the cancellation).

Neither do I. And that's what puzzles me.

Mette

Old September 27th 05, 08:20 AM
amesh

"Gerhard Reichert" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi Mette,

first line of the inscription is: 450th anniversary of death of Leonardo
da Vinci (of the cancellation).

Seems to me, that Leonardo was also a composer.

Best regards from Bavaria, next to Vlad Tepes home :-)

Thank you Gerhard :-)
Mette

Old September 27th 05, 01:38 PM
Gerhard Reichert

Hi again Mette,

lets play the Sherlock Holmes game again:

I cannot see any postal cancellation on the stamp and cannot recognize any
date in the Leonardo-"Cancellation". Therefore I think the
Leonardo-cancellation ist not really a postal cancellation but part of the
complete imprint of the envelope.

Every postal cancellation needs a date, but there is no date.

Also Leonardos picture seems to be in the same colour as the lines with the
song-inscription. There is no address on it.

So, Mette Watson, I combine sharp as a knifeblade:

It is an unused envelope (cacheted envelope) and the Leonardo-Picture is
part of the complete imprint.

Would You agree to me, Mrs. Watson? :-)

best regards

Old September 27th 05, 02:10 PM
Rodney

G'day Gerhard,
I think I can see the date of the cancel
30-5-1997 in the leonardo frame.

here is a link to the stamp
http://www.phil-net.net/eng/cyber/romania/19970350.html

rodney at touch88.com.au

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old September 27th 05, 02:14 PM
amesh

"Gerhard Reichert" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi again Mette,

lets play the Sherlock Holmes game again:

I cannot see any postal cancellation on the stamp and cannot recognize any
date in the Leonardo-"Cancellation". Therefore I think the
Leonardo-cancellation ist not really a postal cancellation but part of the
complete imprint of the envelope.

Every postal cancellation needs a date, but there is no date.

Also Leonardos picture seems to be in the same colour as the lines with
the song-inscription. There is no address on it.

So, Mette Watson, I combine sharp as a knifeblade:

It is an unused envelope (cacheted envelope) and the Leonardo-Picture is
part of the complete imprint.

Would You agree to me, Mrs. Watson? :-)

Hi again, Mr. Holmes :-))
In the bottom line of the "cancellation" there is a date: 03.05.'97 3400
CLUJ NAPOCA 9, which let me identify the stamp. In the cancellation I also
see the sentence "450 ani de la muerte". But this is unimportant, because
that has no relation to Leonardo's data (1452-1519). But you are probably
correct in your conclusion, as usual. I must admit that this cover is not
one of my favourites, but Leonardo's unmistakeable face on it intrigued me
:-)

Under the "circumstances" it has no place on my Leonardo-page,
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/frame-Leonardo.htm
so I will let it go to the youth club, together with your explanation. :-)

Best regards

Old September 27th 05, 02:18 PM
Gerhard Reichert

Hi Sir Rodney,

may be Mette can send a better scan of the envelope. In my opinion it looks
like an entire with imprinted stamp on the envelope, not a separate stamp on
it. I cannot recognize any cancellation on the stamp.

So far, so good, Dr. Mette Watson, its Your turn now :-)

have a fine day all over the world, especially donw under :-)

Gerhard

rodney at touch88.com.au

Send spam to the FTC at

Old September 27th 05, 02:31 PM
Blair (TC)

Mette:

daVinci's music

Given Leonardo's interest in mathematics and the relationship
between mathematics and music, there is no surprise and
quite a bit of truth in the stories that Leonardo was a skilled poet,
singer and practiced musician. Vasari described him as an
excellent musician" and tells us that Leonardo attended
other schools apart from Verrocchio's workshop, one possibly
being a music school.

We know that he played a number of musical instruments including
the lira da braccia and the lyre. Time and again biographers speak
of how he designed a silver lyre in the shape of a horses head
which was said to be more resonant and have a more beautiful
sound than conventional wooden lyres.

There is no sound basis for the belief that Leonardo invented the
violin though he certainly drew up plans for many new musical
instruments including various flutes and the viola organista
(a complicated keyboard instrument with strings which were
sounded by the means of a wheel, horsehair strap and a bow).
This was never built.

Another area explored was that of how to improve musical
instruments. Leonardo created a mechanism which would allow
drummers to tighten or slacken skins with one hand and move
the drumsticks using a system of cogs. He worked very
extensively on the mechanisation of the hurdy-gurdy and
designed improved mechanisms for keyboards so they would
be easier to play. This also enhanced the tonal quality of the
instruments.

It is considered Leonardo thought music second only to painting
in his range of artistic talents, however history has left us with
little in the way of written evidence regarding his music. There
is certainly no evidence he was a composer though he did write
a few very short musical phrases.

You may also be interested in....
http://library.thinkquest.org/13681/data/link3.htm

Blair